LJColeman

E39 restoration project.

Hi all, 

I’m new here! I have recently (last week) purchased my first BMW E39. I have previously had 3x E46’s and loved them but fancied a change this time. 

The reason I went for the E39 is that I plan to purchase a Jet Ski so needed something nice to tow with & I hate 4x4’s 

so, here’s the details:

BMW 525i Auto Msport 

Topaz blue with grey leather interior

1 owner from brand new! (I’m second owner)

120,000 Miles 

full service history with stacks of paperwork! 

My plan is to restore the car back to as perfect condition as I can. 

A few bits that need to be done:

wheels require powdercoating & refurbishment (being done as we speak)

front bumper requires painting

OS side skirt requires painting

minor damage to boot lid needs to be rectified 

new floor mats & leather treatment

full paint correction 

so far i am absolutely loving the car & much prefer it over my E46.

i will post some more pictures once it’s back from having the wheels done & ive carries out some paint correction to the bodywork. 

Thanks for looking. 

7B48A48F-20B3-48DB-9EFA-B62EF2DED99A.jpeg

6C0EE51E-4FBB-4621-A066-16A5D8EA3DD2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Looks really tidy. Good find.

Hands down better than e46's. The e39 are a total different class IMHO.

Thank you, there’s plenty to do to make it perfect but I really enjoy it. I would like to get rid of the ACschnitzer mirrors as I’m not a fan & go back to originals. 

I agree the E39 is by far the better car, however I did enjoy my time in the E46 (pics below) 

6A023973-94C3-44E7-819E-4D1BF81387C9.jpeg

48A3D869-1488-4E26-8CB6-FCB69676E2EE.jpeg

Just now, Marc_86 said:

You like blue beemers dont you lol

It certainly seems that way yeah, I have had a red E46 also, but that was many years ago when I was 18 so don’t think I have any pictures of it. 

The BMW was dropped back to me this morning after having its nasty corroded wheels sorted. They were acid dipped, Shot blasted & painted.

I think they look great! Ive got some Gyeon ceramic coating to apply to them over the weekend to keep them looking there best!

PS excuse the filthy car!

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Looks good with the wheels refurbed. I really liked my 51 plate e39 525i sport in Topaz blue. Would certainly have another one :D

2 hours ago, GStarrr said:

Looks good with the wheels refurbed. I really liked my 51 plate e39 525i sport in Topaz blue. Would certainly have another one :D

Thanks mate, I’m really pleased with it. 

Ha ha ! Twins ! Mines a 525 and were both on more or less the same mileage ! 

Topaz is a beautiful colour in my opinion,especially when the sun hits it.

Did you have the wheels diamond cut or polished ? 

8F028449-53A5-407E-AC44-1F9B8D69AFB5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Ha ha ! Twins ! Mines a 525 and were both on more or less the same mileage ! 

Topaz is a beautiful colour in my opinion,especially when the sun hits it.

Did you have the wheels diamond cut or polished ? 

8F028449-53A5-407E-AC44-1F9B8D69AFB5.jpeg

Wow yours looks great! And yeah I love topaz also, it’s a great colour. 

My wheels aren’t diamond cut or polished. I had them acid dipped, powder coated & then painted. As they were very badly corroded.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:22 PM, Marc_86 said:

Looks really tidy. Good find.

Hands down better than e46's. The e39 are a total different class IMHO.

Having owned two e39's, then an e46, then another two e39's I 100% agree with that. That's not to say that an e46 is a bad car because it isn't, far, far from it in fact, there's just something an e39 has that an e46 hasn't got.   

Very nice motor by the way OP,  a sport with M parallel alloys is just 'right' imo. :)

Edited by NWJW

23 hours ago, NWJW said:

Very nice motor by the way OP,  a sport with M parallel alloys is just 'right' imo. :)

Was just thinking the very same - they are an absolutely perfect wheel on the E39. 

Thank you guys for the comments. 

I've booked the weekend off so i can carry out some work on the car. My plan is to correct the paintwork & apply a ceramic coating to protect it for the future.

I also have now got my AUX cable to install so will try and get that done also.

Ill take lots of pictures during the process. 

So just a little update - I carried out a full detail & paint correction. (Ill upload pictures later) I also removed the AC scnitzer mirrors and replaced with originals.

Over the last few days ive had problems with the Red battery light coming on, firstly it was just coming on when the engine started and then going off after a few seconds. Then over the last few days its been staying on longer and longer. 

I carried out a test using the OBD on the panel & test 9 showed that when the light was on & car idling it was only charging at 10.5V, When the light went out it was 12.5V & then when driving it was reading 13.5V so i think its safe to say the alternator is giving up the ghost!

Does anyone know where i can get an Aux belt kit from with the old style mechanical tensioner ? The car is 16 years old now so i think it'll be worth replacing the belts & tensioners at the same time.

Get your part numbers via RealOEM @LJColeman: www.realoem.com

Search on eBay using 'BMW - part number' and what you need should come up easy enough

C3BMW, BMWmotormec are very good resellers, Meyle, Lemforder, Febi Bilstein are all good parts and cheaper than OEM from BMW, but you could ask BMW Cotswolds (forum sponsors) to quote you for the parts also further up the home page ;) 

19 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Get your part numbers via RealOEM @LJColeman: www.realoem.com

Search on eBay using 'BMW - part number' and what you need should come up easy enough

C3BMW, BMWmotormec are very good resellers, Meyle, Lemforder, Febi Bilstein are all good parts and cheaper than OEM from BMW, but you could ask BMW Cotswolds (forum sponsors) to quote you for the parts also further up the home page ;) 

Thanks for the help mate. Hopefully ive sorted it now.

Ive ordered a replacement alternator, through a supplier i use at work. Ive also ordered a aux belt kit through them as they listed one with the older mechanical style tensioner so hopefully should be ok.

£228 for the alternator & belt kit, I didn't think that was too bad.

So an update on the situation!

Had all the parts ready to replace the alternator, Belts and tensioner over the weekend to cure my battery warning light. It all came apart lovely & looked nice and easy to replace. Alternator swapped over nice and easily. However the belts & tensioners i was supplied were all wrong! So i fitted the new alternator using the old belts and tensioners for now & my problem is cured.

I think ill look to replace the 2x belts when i do the next service. I dont think i will replace the tensioners as when i replaced the alternator i took them off to check them and they all seem ok.

I think ill just order the 2x belts from BMW directly so i know they will be correct.

Hi all, 

small update from me on the E39 - some pictures below of the full detail I carried out a few weeks back. It made such a improvement to how it looked. 

I have also replaced the alternator due to the battery warning light coming on. 

Lastly I managed to install a aux input to my C53 cassette radio. After spending hours researching if this was possible, everyone on various forums said I would not be able to get an aux input to work on the C53 unit. But they were all wrong. So I purchased a standard aux lead for a E39 & removed the radio, I got a wiring diagram up for the CD changer & looked at what wiring done what. I soon realised that the CD changer just used a earth & L/R inputs. I then noticed the aux lead had the same 3 wires. So I removed the wires from the plug on the CD changer & did the same on the aux lead. I then put the aux lead wires in the correct pin holes & fitted it all back up. Fired up the radio and result, a fully working aux lead on a C53 cassette deck. 

Thats all for now. 

74605C00-23DF-4BF0-B15C-F868CE8F9CFE.jpeg

BBF5E6ED-2539-460A-8E94-431E7A5C7E6A.jpeg

62471704-4F0B-44A7-ACB7-17F3D7339CBB.jpeg

6A085DC1-02E2-49AA-887C-D38AE2714D51.jpeg

F6E5C65F-E5D7-449C-A200-2A752DC235B6.jpeg

9956FA2D-5A35-4803-ADAB-7E30010B726E.jpeg

On 17/11/2017 at 10:44 AM, LJColeman said:

The BMW was dropped back to me this morning after having its nasty corroded wheels sorted. They were acid dipped, Shot blasted & painted.

I'd love to get mine done to your standard. Have you a recommendation or a link please?