LJColeman

E39 restoration project.

1 hour ago, LJColeman said:

So finally i have the E39 back!! I collected it from Bristol Transmissions at lunch  time. 

Everything all seems to be okay and the car seems to be even smoother than before. The fact ive just paid £1750 hasn't hit me yet! However im very pleased to have it back.

A lot of money for this type/age of car but on the other hand definitely a worth while investment. Glad its back to normal/better now.

Edited by Marc_86
Cant spell

The question i always think you should ask yourself in these scenarios is what does £1750 plus whatever you can get for the broken car buy you. Assuming the car was fine for your needs up until that point.

Yes its a bitter pill to swallow and yes something else may then break but at least you have a car you know and the worry of the gearbox is gone.

Its very easy i think to write a car off for a bill that represents a significant chunk of its value but its probably the least worst option.

21 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

The question i always think you should ask yourself in these scenarios is what does £1750 plus whatever you can get for the broken car buy you. Assuming the car was fine for your needs up until that point.

Yes its a bitter pill to swallow and yes something else may then break but at least you have a car you know and the worry of the gearbox is gone.

Its very easy i think to write a car off for a bill that represents a significant chunk of its value but its probably the least worst option.

Indeed. If the rest of the car is in otherwise good order (so far as you know) then it's a bearable expense. I always just compare such expenses to monthly leasing costs for a new 5 series.. given that, for all intents and purposes, these E39's are just an enjoyable drive as the new ones minus a few toys and gadgets. So using my man maths, provided you go say another 4 months without any other significant expense, you've sort of broken even.

I think that's fair enough :lol:

My 530d has cost me say £7k over 3 years including purchase but ex fuel and insurance as that needs paying regardless. Some jobs needed doing others i wanted too (full suspension refresh, rear blinds and the like) so £200 a month and it still has a value of say £3500 so £100 / month bar servicing and tempting fate i don't foresee significant spending for a while - tyres are recent etc so that / month figure should go down.

I didn't have £7k in one go and what does that buy you that's significantly better in any case?

I reckon that's fair value?

I'm in no position to comment really. My "£1000 bargain E39" has since cost me about another £3000-£4000 in maintenance and repairs and I'm not even a year in yet. I feel like it's slowly coming together now though and the issues are becoming fewer and further between. 

Edited by chicaneuk

I agree with all of you. For they money you cant buy a better car than the E39.  I just have to keep it forever now to justify the cost. However its such a great car i wont be planning on getting rid of it anyway!

If we’re talking big ticket items then I had the timing chain guides replaced last year, the engine went from perfect to sounding like a bag of nails in under 100 miles :(  £2k worse off but I know one of the well known problems is fixed.

Edited by BarryM

.........and the big ticket items should only need attending to once, or at least certainly for many years and miles.

And you still have one of the best models of BMW on the road! 

I love my e39 and i will do everything in my power to keep it on the road. Luckily (touch wood) nothing major has been needed yet.

I love its character and looks and its a really well built motor. A lot of newer cars these days all look the same and they loose their character.

Some people will say - get over it...its a 15 year old BMW and why are you bothering to fix it/spend money on it...but to me its an appreciating classic (well not as much as 540s and M5s but you get the jist)

:-D:-D:-D