Jump to content
LJColeman

E39 restoration project.

Recommended Posts

Thanks for all your comments guys, the wheels were refurbished by a company called Phoenix alloys in Bristol. 

 

So today has has been a sad day in the E39 world......

 

so this morning I started the car as normal to go to work, after a few minuites of warning up I noticed the engine management light was on. I gave the car a rev & it was misfiring. So anyway I traced the fault to the spark plugs (due to be changed now anyway) and replaced the full set with NGK R’s. Anyway, fired her up and hey presto all sorted.... 

 

And then things got worse.... 

 

i jumped into the car to leave work after a long day, popped it in reverse & *thud* the car jumped out of reverse and the would not re-engage at all. The car drove forwards all okay however I can no longer engage reverse gear. When reverse is selected I can just hear a metal grinding type noise coming from the gearbox. 

 

Adter some digging around online it seems the D-clutch for the reverse gear snaps off and it’s quite common on the ZF gearbox. 

 

So im not at a stage of either sourcing a second hand gearbox and fitting it myself, or getting a quote from a gearbox specialist to rebuild mine! 

 

Either way it sounds like it’s going to cost me some money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it’s confirmed that the gearbox is dead. After phoning around for several quotes to rebuild the gearbox they all came back in at around £1800. 

 

I really can’t justify spending that kind of money on a £2000 car. So I am going to source a second hand box and fit it myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bugger! I've found that an e39 seems to have this knack of kicking you in the nuts after you've lavished loads of attention on it. Hope you get it sorted......:mellow: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LJColeman said:

So it’s confirmed that the gearbox is dead. After phoning around for several quotes to rebuild the gearbox they all came back in at around £1800. 

 

I really can’t justify spending that kind of money on a £2000 car. So I am going to source a second hand box and fit it myself. 

Hats off for not immediately throwing in the towel. What a shitter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Hats off for not immediately throwing in the towel. What a shitter!

 

Trust me I’ve thought about it. However the car is worthless with no reverse! So I don’t have much choice other than to repair it. Will be removing the gearbox Saturday. 

 

And then fitting the new one in the new year when it arrives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a slight change of plan, I’ve decided I can’t risk fitting a second gearbox. The risk of failure is just too high and I cant justify spending 8 hours fitting a gearbox that I can’t guarantee is ok. 

 

So my plan is to go for the very expenise option of having the gearbox rebuilt. £1750 but it will come with a warranty & it will be done properly and I won’t be paranoid about it failing again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That would be the logical thing to do if you're intending on keeping the car for a while, I know someone who fitted a second hand 'box for it fail within a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NWJW said:

 That would be the logical thing to do if you're intending on keeping the car for a while, I know someone who fitted a second hand 'box for it fail within a few months.

 

Yes I agree & that’s what I’m worried of. So box rebuild it is & keep the old girl going for a while 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you getting it rebuilt? A company up here in Glasgow called Mackies Transmission is a Grade A ZF approved gearbox specialist. Used them quite a few times for auto box services. Might be worth calling them and see if they do a sale/return type service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for some inspiration as im in the process of changing my cream interior to champagne 

And i think ive found it. To invest £1750 into an e39 that isnt an m5 means im not alone lol

I currently fighting with the fan motor

Eugh the new one i got from the dealer was cracked and shattered to pieces when i turned it on!

So i put the old one back in and i cant keep it from rubbing and vibrating agaisnt the cover!!!

I like topaz its a little lighter than montreal blue

received_353664055018824.thumb.jpeg.2237deefbdad4003956b2468f30d7775.jpeg20171209_155720.thumb.jpg.fcf33151a42bb2fd7b74b311ac3e1b43.jpg20171209_161059.thumb.jpg.194627c16ac77a76af2c7823e8e3e8cb.jpg20171218_131735.thumb.jpg.547add2a50d4012975e23fece2a32c8e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2017 at 9:45 PM, LJColeman said:

So a slight change of plan, I’ve decided I can’t risk fitting a second gearbox. The risk of failure is just too high and I cant justify spending 8 hours fitting a gearbox that I can’t guarantee is ok. 

 

So my plan is to go for the very expenise option of having the gearbox rebuilt. £1750 but it will come with a warranty & it will be done properly and I won’t be paranoid about it failing again 

I'm with you on this one if you don't mind me saying.

 

Going by the pics in your 17th December post, that's one stunning E39 that you have there - right model, right colour and right wheels. I'd certainly not hesitate in spending more than a few quid in getting the 'box done properly.

Edited by Loadmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

I'm with you on this one if you don't mind me saying.

 

Going by the pics in your 17th December post, that's one stunning E39 that you have there - right model, right colour and right wheels. I'd certainly not hesitate in spending more than a few quid in getting the 'box done properly.

 

I certainly agree. I couldn’t go out and buy anything half as good for the money so might aswell repair it and just keep it forever! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both ‘reputable’ gearbox specialists based in Bristol told me my box needed rebuilding to the tune of circa +\- £1800 :rolleyes:  The ‘main’ one even relieved me of £80 to diagnose said fault.

 

That was almost 2 years ago.....

Will never use either ever again and would rather drive the extra mile to someone who knows what they’re doing and not trying to blatantly rip me off (rant over) 

 

Where are you having your box rebuilt Lewis ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Milo said:

Both ‘reputable’ gearbox specialists based in Bristol told me my box needed rebuilding to the tune of circa +\- £1800 :rolleyes:  The ‘main’ one even relieved me of £80 to diagnose said fault.

 

That was almost 2 years ago.....

Will never use either ever again and would rather drive the extra mile to someone who knows what they’re doing and not trying to blatantly rip me off (rant over) 

 

Where are you having your box rebuilt Lewis ?

 

 

 

Hi mate, 

 

Bristol transmissions are rebuilding the box for me. We use them at work regularly and never had a problem. I also get trade price from them so makes things a bit better. There doing it on the 5th January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it all goes well Lewis.  What warranty are they giving you?    £1800 could probably buy you another car, but it wouldn’t come a decent warranty on its auto box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, syncrofred said:

Hope it all goes well Lewis.  What warranty are they giving you?    £1800 could probably buy you another car, but it wouldn’t come a decent warranty on its auto box.

 

Thank you, I hope so too! They warrant it for 12 months/12,000 miles. Like you said i could buy another, But it could have the same problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an update today to say the box had been removed & was stripped down. They confirmed it was the reverse drum which had failed. The box should be being rebuilt tomorrow so hopefully all ready to collect mid-week.

 

I must admit im certainly looking forward to having it back! Driving a 1977 MG Midget to work everyday hasn't been very pleasurable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, well done for biting the bullet and getting the job done properly. I hadn't heard about the reverse problem before so something new to worry about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BarryM said:

As others have said, well done for biting the bullet and getting the job done properly. I hadn't heard about the reverse problem before so something new to worry about!

 

I agree its best to get it sorted properly. Especially as im planning a few trips to France at some stage. For piece of mind i rather it be sorted. + I couldn't buy a better car for the money so makes sense. 

 

I hadn't heard about the reverse gear problem also, I've had several E46 auto's and never had a problem. I must of just been lucky in the past!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another update from Bristol Transmissions today to say the gearbox was almost finished being rebuilt today & will be refitted tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it will be all finished and ready to collect tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by LJColeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally i have the E39 back!! I collected it from Bristol Transmissions at lunch  time. 

 

Everything all seems to be okay and the car seems to be even smoother than before. The fact ive just paid £1750 hasn't hit me yet! However im very pleased to have it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×