Darkbmwlord

Hey - Ive got a classic!

In the real world the only cars which will see significant rise in values are M5, 540i and Alpina models.

To a lesser extent 530i and 528i Sports

Surely they've all stopped depreciating now though? 

Also, 530i SEs are great, everyone should buy one ;) 

On 11/15/2017 at 12:40 AM, Mazi said:

In the real world the only cars which will see significant rise in values are M5, 540i and Alpina models.

To a lesser extent 530i and 528i Sports

I think your correct. 

But I also think that will change as the years pass with lesser models becoming more valuable simply because the M5's, 540's and Alpina's etc will become unaffordable to most but serious collectors and museums, plus the 'lesser models' are actually more eminently drivable and usable as day-to-day cars for the regular owner who appreciates quality and longevity but do not want to pay for a new car and do not need or want the larger engined cars.

A comparable analogy is the E30.

We saw the value of the E30 M3 rise to stratospheric heights between 1999, when you could pick one up from the Auto Trader for 4 grand, ( I know because thats what I paid for mine) to 2014 when you could pick one up for 40k plus, and in the process  becoming relatively unaffordable to most but serious collectors and Middle Eastern gentlemen.

This has had a knock on effect on 'lesser' E30 Models, for which, a decade ago, you could buy for five hundred pounds, we now see 'humble' E30 325i sports and 318 Tourings going for serious money and increasing year on year.

So hold on to your pre-facelift 523i SE Touring Auto. Just keep it well maintained and enjoy it until you retire at which time it will be worth enough to put your grandchildren through College.

:-)

Edited by Marc_C

E30 325i Sports do not belong in this same sentence as the 318i touring.

I get what you are saying but 523i touring will be a long time coming by which time most owners will be dead.

Also most people will not spend the money required to keep these cars right and rot will kill most.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:32 AM, Marc_C said:

I think your correct. 

But I also think that will change as the years pass with lesser models becoming more valuable simply because the M5's, 540's and Alpina's etc will become unaffordable to most but serious collectors and museums, plus the 'lesser models' are actually more eminently drivable and usable as day-to-day cars for the regular owner who appreciates quality and longevity but do not want to pay for a new car and do not need or want the larger engined cars.

I agree, we all know that values of the M5 are well and truly on the up, this is obviously going to affect the value of the 'next best' model, the 540i, as the values of those increases people will probably start looking at the 520i's and 523i's etc by which point a good one will probably be a rare thing and more likely to fetch a good price.

Or I could just be talking bollox, time will tell......:D 

19 hours ago, e34m525i said:

I’ve got a my daily 530i sport, 525i sport (wife’s) and also a 540i/6 touring I’m guessing the 540i in a few years will be worth some decent money as there rarer than m5s!

Three e39's at the same time, well done that man! :)