gine39530d

Should I worry about soot build up on valves?

Have you ever thought about blanking the egr valve. If you haven't already?

I know egr's can clog the manifold badly...maybe even the valves/head as well.

Off memory ive never heard a successful way to clean valves without stripping the head. Chances are there will be bodge ways but i wouldnt try it.

8 minutes ago, syncrofred said:

What about that Terraclean system that folk bang on about? Would that do it?

That would be the only method i would try.

None of the diy options sound too clever.

1 hour ago, gine39530d said:

i ll pour some water into cylinders 

does the magic

I wouldn't have the bottle.

18 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

I wouldn't have the bottle.

trigger spray is better.

not that any of the treatments will do anything much at all as its before the combustion chamber.

I recall reading an article describing one or more post-E39 engines being prone to carbon buildup on the valves. BMW developed a process to clean the valves without removing the head - blast off the carbon with I think walnut shell, while vacuuming out the residue.

It may be that E39 engines aren't suitable for some reason or other.  But a query at the dealer might be worth a few minutes? Or someone else's memory is better than mine and can offer more details or even a reference to technical documents.

Regards

RDL

Walnut shell cleaning is used on later petrol engines that use DI (direct injection) - a few videos on Youtube if you search. The inlet manifold is removed and the engine turned so each valve is shut in turn and blasted with walnut shells, then vacuumed out. The idea being that any walnut residue wont harm the engine if ingested into the cylinders

A petrol engine using DI will tend to build up clag on the back of the inlet valves due to exhaust blow back and the fact the inlet air does not contain any fuel which on a older port injected engine will have a cleaning effect

A diesel engine clags up mainly because of EGR - whether walnut shell blasting will be effective on this type of buildup I don't know.