Hi. My high pressure fuel pump went on my 535D E60 2009, just want to let you all know it's expensive to fix, I'd change it if you have high mileage. When it goes it puts small particles in fuel lines, tank and injectors. The fix was about £4k. You can get a recon second hand engine for less than that, about £3k, but the same could happen to that. So replace your pump!

11 hours ago, andy007 said:

When it goes it puts small particles in fuel lines, tank and injectors. The fix was about £4k.

eeek! That's just savage. What mileage would you say they are failing? Or were you just unlucky?

I read it is random, but the is no warning, it's like you have put petrol in instead of diesel. I've done 145,000, so I'd change one at 100,000, if i ever get another

no point changing it till it does fail, you might have another 100k miles in it, maybe more!

guessing you took it to a main dealer at those prices.

43 minutes ago, Abbadon said:

This cant be common to have catastrophic failure , sure  HP pumps must fail , but have we heard of many in this way?

It did happen, i'm gutted, but hopefully it will never happen again.

3 hours ago, Blobby said:

Is this a major strip down to change the pump as it is driven by a chain

No the pump can be removed without removing the chain. There's a tool that holds the chain in place and the pump comes off the back. It would be a sad day if you just heard 'thunk' as the chain fell off though! :lol:

On 11/15/2017 at 10:33 AM, Mashed Potatoes said:

No the pump can be removed without removing the chain. There's a tool that holds the chain in place and the pump comes off the back. It would be a sad day if you just heard 'thunk' as the chain fell off though! :lol:

Not sure you'd hear it as your wallet & jaw also hit the floor :lol:

On 14/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, Chu said:

Happened on my van and they wrote it off.

Who is "they" - a warranty company or your insurance ?  Just wondering. I know Mondial will pay out to limit of car invoice, so there must be times when they effectively write off a car.

On 15/11/2017 at 10:33 AM, Mashed Potatoes said:

When you say there's a tool that holds it in place, is this a special BMW tool or is built in or will a bent screwdriver do?

52 minutes ago, Blobby said:

When you say there's a tool that holds it in place, is this a special BMW tool or is built in or will a bent screwdriver do?

It's a BMW tool dude but I would imagine Draper etc will make a copy of it. From memory there's two different sizes.