gine39530d

Diesel vs. Petrol

I have 4 cars, two diesel and two petrol. I like them all, but the lovely sound an i6 petrol makes and the absolute silence while it is idling reminds me why I like these things.

Diesel engines have to be turbocharged to be better than NA petrols. Petrol engines can be turbo-charged too.

Diesel is cheaper in mainland Europe but not here. Range is better for diesels.

To sum up, for the week day commuting to work, diesel works very well. On the weekend though, petrol is lovely.

I know that diesel won't be the future. But then neither will petrol be, but the diesels will be killed off before the petrols. Consequently, my petrol cars (both pre-2000) are tucked up nicely in the garage while the diesels sit outside and won't be replaced with another diesel when they die.

I like what my 535d does. I like that it's fast. I don't like that it has no feeling. I also don't like that without its turbos it is a slug. And that the only mechanical problem I seem to have had are turbo related. But, I view it as this: when the soulless electrics are the only option, we will have used the diesels as a bridge to that world.

2 hours ago, gine39530d said:

Let the games begin!

I love diesel, cheap and powerful

Why have you chosen petrol, why?

Three letters, D, P and F.

I don't do the mileage to warrant a Diesel, I do 6 miles each way to the station most day. I would kill a DIEsel doing that trip.  years ago with the tales of woe regarding E39 and E46 turbos and injectors put me off. Also N47 timing chains are made of cheese between certain dates.

1 hour ago, Blobby said:

Some nice looking bait you put on your line there.. 

;)

4 hours ago, amauvis said:

To sum up, for the week day commuting to work, diesel works very well. On the weekend though, petrol is lovely.

This is what I do, got the Mondeo for running about through the week and the 540i for when the V8 itch needs to be scratched. :) 

And believe it or not, it's actually cheaper for me to run the two cars rather than just have the 540 and stick loads of petrol in it. It also means that the 540 can stay tucked away on the drive rather than get driven in the horrible winter weather.

10 hours ago, gine39530d said:

Let the games begin!

I love diesel, cheap and powerful

Why have you chosen petrol, why?

You can't reason with stupid but I'll give it a go! 

I actually have a cancer causing DIEsel BMW and I hate it! It stinks, it gets to big numbers slowly but it gets me around 700 miles away from where I am on 1 tank! 

Its the first shitty DIEsel that I've ever owned, will it be the last? Probably not! :shock: 

we have came from a series of petrol V8 motors, they smell better, run better, sound better, got more power, get to the silly figures quicker, are cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, don't use as much oil and know one hates you quite as much as people that drive DIEsel cars! 

So I don't know why people choose to run a more refined engine? But what I do know is people run disgusting DIEsel engines due to necessity as oppose to actually WANTING to! Unless of cause your a bit special! :lol: 

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Three letters, D, P and F.

I don't do the mileage to warrant a Diesel, I do 6 miles each way to the station most day. I would kill a DIEsel doing that trip.  years ago with the tales of woe regarding E39 and E46 turbos and injectors put me off. Also N47 timing chains are made of cheese between certain dates.

;)

just remove those bloody catalyst tubes out after you passed MOT

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Then it would be illegal to drive, just like a DPF gutted DIEsel.

I've already said you can't reason with stupid! :lol: 

i personally think DIEsel should be used for agricultural equipment and the likes of trucks and boats and that's it! 

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Then it would be illegal to drive, just like a DPF gutted DIEsel.

nah

i meant replace with empty tube

catalysts are out

hollow tubes

rozzers won't fine you

cluttered dpf will kill your engine with backfire in a second

Edited by gine39530d

1 hour ago, gine39530d said:

nah

i meant replace with empty tube

Still illegal just like driving a DIEsel with a hollowed out DPF. 

Driving something that is illegal doesn't sit well with me.

Out.

6 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I've already said you can't reason with stupid! :lol: 

Legal??? Could not care less if people gut the DPF!

The government brainwashed everyone to buy diesel and we followed like sheeple. Measuring emisions by CO2 only was a con!

Now diesel is going to be phased out in favour of hybrids and electric cars which will be powered by electricity generated by burning fossil fuels.

All nonsense!!!!!!

Buy a V8 if you can afford to run it and be done with it.