Calypso-E34

Non functioning folding rear seats

I have a 1994 E34 520i saloon, which has the optional split / folding rear seats.  When I pull up the base on either side, I should be able to see two brass coloured levers.  My understanding is that with the bases pulled up, these levers are released and this frees the backrests.  I also understand that a little red tab pops up to indicate that this is the case.

I have two issues.  Firstly, one of the levers - the one on the driver's side - is missing altogether.  The one on the passenger side is present, and does appear to be sprung - but it is not releasing the seat, so I am assuming that something is broken somewhere.

Now - I'm not really bothered too much about the seat not folding - I can live with that - BUT - I need to get the back seats out so I can access and remove the rear shelf for refurbishment.

Can anyone help me with this?

Apparently the levers can be a bit on the brittle side. Bad news is, they are NLA from BMW, so unless  I come across some new old stock somewhere, that game is a bogey. 

Interestingly though, the levers operate a Bowden cable. There might be another way to operate that. 

8 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Could/would e39 levers fit ?

You never know Carl, but given that it's BMW we are talking about here, I doubt it!!  If you put the part numbers into RealOEM, the only model it shows as using them is the E34 saloon.  I'm not really surprised that these are NLA - there would have been very few made in the first place.  This is the first E34 I've ever seen so equipped.

I really only need to get the rear shelf out.  If a car has something, I do like it to work, but folding seats on this car, while a nice curio, is not essential.

It's only a guess but I think the seat should be removable even if the back cannot be split, it should come out as a single piece, mine looks to be held by two screws under the cushion. When my rego runs out in a couple of weeks I'm doing some maintenance and that is on the to do list.

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, alex525 said:

It's only a guess but I think the seat should be removable even if the back cannot be split, it should come out as a single piece, mine looks to be held by two screws under the cushion. When my rego runs out in a couple of weeks I'm doing some maintenance and that is on the to do list.

It's a completely different setup.  With the non folding seat, the backrest is in one piece, and is attached to a fairly substantial steel bulkhead.  With the folding seats, you have a shallow recess into which the seat backs sit, and they attach to another beam at the top where the parcel shelf sits.  This leaves a big space through which you can load things.

I was kind of hoping that the Touring setup might fit, but alas, no.

As I said though, if I can find a way to just get them released, once I tart up the parcel shelf, I shouldn't need access again unless the suspension needs attention - and that won't be a DIY job anyway!!

Edited by Calypso-E34

Bumping this as i have a problem now. The rear seat backs need to come out to get at the suspension, as I need to replace a coil spring - so this is important now!

can anyone help?

UPDATE

Problem solved. The levers are broken, but the bit where they snapped was square enough to get a spanner on, and I managed to get them working.