Sign in to follow this  
Pete Soulby

Gearbox warning light

I’ve just bought my 525 sport on Saturday and all was well, perhaps a little sluggish but I put that down to not much use.

Sunday as I was about to leave for work the gearbox warning cog came on, I’m not entirely sure this wasn’t because I started the car quickly and drove off. I turned the car off then on again and all was fine.

its got me thinking about changing the gearbox oil now though, is this diy able? If so any recommendations of good kit?

Not an easy task as it has to be done with the oil at a certain temp IIRC; best to have the filter done at the same time

Where are you located, as @AutomaticTransmissions are our regular auto box gurus; they're up here in Preston, Lancs

Mine did this.

Sometimes it reset itself sometimes it didn't.  When it happened several times, I got it checked.  Fault with one of the solenoids on the valvebody.  £702 later and all was well.  Still its a more reliable transmission than the one inflicted on the E60!

You mention that the car hasn't had much use, is the battery in good condition? One of the first things that usually happens in my experience if the battery isn't quite up to it is that the transmission goes into limp mode.

48 minutes ago, NWJW said:

You mention that the car hasn't had much use, is the battery in good condition? One of the first things that usually happens in my experience if the battery isn't quite up to it is that the transmission goes into limp mode.

That’s what I’m hoping it is to be honest. I’ve had a few e39’s and weak batteries often did silly things

14 hours ago, Pete Soulby said:

I’ve had a few e39’s and weak batteries often did silly things

Mine did this.....electrical problems got far less frequent when I ditched the Renault battery that was in my E39 with a new genuine one.