Pepi1677

Apple CarPlay

Hi, this is my first post. I have just picked up a pre reg G31 with 60 miles on it. I was looking to try Apple CarPlay, but it does not appear in the car or as an option in the cars connected drive store. When I added the car to my connected drive account online, I was able to add remote services but the Apple CarPlay feature was greyed out with 'not available for your car' on the icon.

I thought that Apple CarPlay was available to all new G31 5's Any Ideas?

I tried building a new car on the BMW web site and the only thing I added was CarPlay and it allowed me with out needing any additional parts.

TIA

Hi and welcome.

As afar I know Apple CarPlay is an optional extra.

On my Connected account, it shows I can buy it for around £230, so I assume you can buy it as well.

The problem seems to be that you need the "Apple CarPlay preparation" when they build the car for it to work.

I was just going to add it on my Connect Drive Account (for the same £235) - but it won't let me.

I'll keep checking to see if it become available (I used in the States in a Chevy and liked it) - but to be honest the iDrive does most of it anyway - and the "new" iDrive maps seem much better than my old car so why use Apple Maps and my data?

This has been a bit of a nightmare, I have the same issue its in my account but greyed out saying unavailable. I spent a couple of hours in the BMW dealership with a Genius. Apparently the y believe that it should work as the only requirement is professional nav. How ever BMW connected drive team say you must have enhanced bluetooth or rear seat entertainment. When the BMW Genius told BMW that can not be correct as he had a couple of cars on site had had neither but Apple CarPlay work, they said it depends on what week the car gets built. Left hand right hand springs to mind. The dealer has raised a 'puma' with BMW Germany to clarify the situation.

BMW Connected Drive also just confirmed to me that you must have enhanced bluetooth or rear seat entertainment to add this retrospectively.

Strange!

Just found their full reply as follows:

In order to purchase Apple CarPlay after production, BMWs must be produced after July 2016, fitted with BMW Professional Media system (609), the latest iDrive software (ID5/ID6) and one of the following options:

• Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging (6NW)
  • Rear Seat Entertainment (6FR)

From looking at the specification of your BMW 5 Series, your BMW doesn’t have option 6NW or NFR and these options aren’t something that can be retrofitted either. This means that you won’t be able to purchase Apple CarPlay.

Edited by carrman

I have spoken to the dealer this afternoon after they had raised a 'puma' with BMW. Apparently there is an issue with connected drive accounts not showing all services, something BMW are working on apparently. for veh built between 12/16 and 9/17. I'm not entirely convinced these two points are connected as I think there is a misunderstanding between the sales guy and the person emailing BMW. I am hoping that this will be resolved tomorrow when I actually speak to the person doing the emails and leasing with BMW. This enhanced bluetooth/ rear seat entertainment is a red hearing according to my local BMW genius as he says he has cars there that do not have either but have APPLE CARPLAY. I find it quite disheartening that I get mixed messages, after all its not exactly a cheap purchase.

I didn't order Apple Carplay from factory but my car has Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging (6NW) and I have the option to add Apple Carplay via Connected Drive.

9 hours ago, larriebee said:

I didn't order Apple Carplay from factory but my car has Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging (6NW) and I have the option to add Apple Carplay via Connected Drive.

Just looked it up and the Apple CarPlay preparation 6CP isn't dependent on any other options.

There is something about "compatibility and functions may vary", but nothing about it relaying on any other options.

I have just had confirmation that to have Apple CarPlay your are required to have professional Nav and either Enhanced Bluetooth or rear seat entertainment. My local genius however tells me that he has cars in stock that do not have enhanced Bluetooth or rear seat entertainment and CarPlay works. So no further forward.

Typical

So you just need to hear back from people who have Apple CarPlay but don't have Prof. Nav or Enhanced Bluetooth or rear set entertainment.......

Problem is if anyone was interested in ticking the Apple CarPlay option, they would have ticked those other options as well....

Unfortunately if the option is greyed out in your BMW account, then chances are you can't get it.