Gavin-Lee

Windscreen Washer Issue

So im a newbie in here, and recently purchased a 2009 5 series msport which im loving.

Ive only had the car 3 weeks and have an issue with my windscreen washers twice in 2 weeks already.

The reservoir is full but when i pull the stalk its acting like its empty or something is preventing the flow?

The first time it happened i just kept pressing stalk and after a few minutes the flow resumed as normal, and been fine for a week or so until today. I have checked and filled reservoir again and can hear the pump working so just thinking its probably some kind of blockage?

The car does have a warranty with it, but if it is something someone on here can help me with, and is a straight forward fix, then im

kind of thinking its probably easier to do myself rather than trying to find the time to take to where I bought.

Any ideas please guys?

Thanks

Gavin

It's probably the filter that's blocked in the reservoir. Need to drain the tank, clean it out, clean the filter and put back together. IIRC you can access it through the passenger side wheel arch

Simple enough to do. I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and bought a Meyle pump on EBay. You don't have to remove the liner totally, you can tie it back to gain enough space and grovel around at your leisure. Having done it once I reckon an hour tops. :)

My headlight washers seem to have stopped working although the front and rear wipers/washers work correctly.  No obvious leaks at the front, but something is stopping the flow.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

My headlight washers seem to have stopped working although the front and rear wipers/washers work correctly.  No obvious leaks at the front, but something is stopping the flow.  Any ideas?

Do the jets rise up, but don;t spray?

This is what the manual says. So i suppose it depends on the parameter of 'practical intervals'. I've never seen mine work, but i do see streaks over the bonnet to suggest they have washed the headlights

Cleaning windscreen and headlights*
Fluid from the washer fluid reservoir is sprayed
on to the windscreen and the wipers are oper-
ated briefly.
When the car's lights are switched on, the head-
lights are cleaned simultaneously at practical
intervals

4 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

This is what the manual says. So i suppose it depends on the parameter of 'practical intervals'. I've never seen mine work, but i do see streaks over the bonnet to suggest they have washed the headlights

Cleaning windscreen and headlights*
Fluid from the washer fluid reservoir is sprayed
on to the windscreen and the wipers are oper-
ated briefly.
When the car's lights are switched on, the head-
lights are cleaned simultaneously at practical
intervals

Yes, I'm aware of that, but they don't work at all when the lights are switched on.  Had someone operate them for me whilst I watched.  We tried at least 5 times to operate washers and nothing.  They used to work every third time.

2 hours ago, dj1233 said:

Peculiar. Is it a motor that operates the nozzles?

I think it's the water pressure from what I can make out, which suggests a blockage somewhere

50 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

Probably sounds right. Bumper off job to get to the hose? Or can it be accessed from underneath/behind?

Should be able to get to it from beneath...