Calypso-E34

Beautiful 21k mile E34 525i

This caught my eye on that well known auction site. I am relieved that it doesn’t come with electric heated leather and air conditioning. Why?  Because I’d be going down there to sell my F10 and buy it, that’s why!  Much as I really like my F10, this is special. 

A shade under £8000.  

ED0B9838-5996-4B02-8977-AF217844DC7A.jpeg

4DD50CE1-415B-4584-A45F-ECCBF564353B.jpeg

2943C8AB-F851-4D64-9F83-7F8F77D9FAAB.jpeg

BE0C8168-FD40-472D-BF5C-49316821BA32.jpeg

7D1F873A-1E48-4480-A8E0-BF0D2B7EA8CD.jpeg

435C85DD-6E7F-498B-98C5-258F4E51F2D9.jpeg

96A8A137-FE36-48E5-81A7-DFDA4A589BB4.jpeg

814ECE42-74C7-49A3-A505-947F7768EB5D.jpeg

4086639F-1545-4E12-BC1C-7D4A0438FED5.jpeg

BE59FC9A-5BA0-4426-B1E9-C75400652801.jpeg

E842603E-F288-4275-9FEB-8E8AB6DD47CF.jpeg

E9F02A4B-2BD9-4B26-ADD1-127E80942F34.jpeg

DA2B3487-F04F-49D9-99C7-FB38C7B500D5.jpeg

71349A9F-92B8-40A8-AA8E-2BF9197834DA.jpeg

E6C50DD5-4D81-4B80-84BC-8A4F16C09BF5.jpeg

46357CC4-E1F2-440D-A710-10FB2546C154.jpeg

B29AA316-FB0D-41CD-847B-4653D1174E1E.jpeg

68A2BE66-A0C2-4141-8353-5B9ABECBB68F.jpeg

9013BA31-C272-411D-8291-8F10318D7EDF.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Both of those can be retrofitted ;)

Don’t Duncan!  I’m absolutely, honestly, seriously besotted by this car. It’s disturbing. 

Hi,

Is it a Facelift model/year ? It's with the wide grille/bonnet but doesn't look like a Sport model to me! no Sports seats, no black headliner. I'm no good with engines, but is that an 'early/earlier' engine? The front bumper fitment looks off with the gap under the headlamps and the corner where the indicator lens is, the gap also between the bonnet edge and the kidney grille?... what's with that really really weird looking area around the exhaust pipe? looks like part of the Sport kit is missing entirely ! Does the door shut line on the rear nearside look a bit bigger than normal ?

My theory is it's an early E34 SE that's had the facelift Sport bodykit fitted but not very well. Then it's been resprayed too. 

There's a Calypso E39 523i with just under 29K miles up for £9K on that auction site too ... 

I personally don't think the actual selling price would be anywhere near these asking prices, but you never know!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

I hope you're now much less besotted by the car given that asking price and that in real life, it'll most likely be a bit more disappointing. It might be a solid car and the kit and other niggles could be fixed/sorted easily, so go see it ?!!

There's been a few E34's around my way that have been around for years upon years and I've always thought to ask the owners to give me first dibs if they sell. Now, only one is left that I have my eye on!  I loved my E34 525i Sport I got back in 99 ! ..   I need more space to store the various cars I'd want in my collection !

Cheers, Dennis!

Nope - no less besotted Dennis!  I like the SE interior, and personally I wouldn’t miss the LSD - the car is an auto after all. 

Id love it - I really would. Or a nice E32, same colour, decent spec. 

But - I’ll probably stick with my F10 for every day, and my old E34 520i for high days and holidays - it’s getting there!!  Facelift interior in now bar the glove box.   It’ll never look like that Calypso one tho....

D1BBEEB7-7493-4AFF-895F-3AC758209901.jpeg

CE08B18A-72B2-4435-9A7B-59C8C1B4724D.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

The Calypso 525 does look lovely .. It's original home was London and later the Isle of white :) It sold on ebay for nearly 4k ...

It's interior is missing the oe mirror  and radio and the exhaust is none OE ... It's been view by a few E34  lovers.

Edited by ustbutler

That car has been for sale for a LONG time ! U know cos I’ve been looking for an e34 for a long time, there are cars in that site that have been for sale for years and don’t sell as they are over priced, go have a look at it n make him an offer that’s realistic, 4K 

6 hours ago, ustbutler said:

The Calypso 525 does look lovely .. It's original home was London and later the Isle of white :) It sold on ebay for nearly 4k ...

It's interior is missing the oe mirror  and radio and the exhaust is none OE ... It's been view by a few E34  lovers.

That's interesting - I understand it was latterly a Channel Island car, which would go some way towards explaining the low miles.  Mirror wouldn't be hard to replace - but I would be curious about the location of the original!  A bit cheeky to leave that fact out of the listing too, unless thy have addressed that.  Exhausts -m the 525s - even the originals - always looked a little..... underdeveloped!  Nothing a nice stainless back box wouldn't fix. 

I'm guessing that this business keeps a few of these modern classics around, with daft prices, in the hope that one person will come across it and have to have it.  I get that, and there's someone out there for everything I suppose, but sitting around won't be doing the car any good.  My guess is that if someone were to buy it, they would need to budget for a few bits and pieces - -bushes, hoses etc. 

It is NIIIIIIICE though.........

Tell you what though - If you want to see a late E34 with a very odd spec, have a look HERE - It has the later wider grille and the later airbag steering wheel which it shares with the E39, however the unpainted lower body and lack of sill covers would suggest a pre facelift car.  This would appear to be backed up by the interior, which other than the steering wheel, looks to be pre facelift, with the older door cards.

Maybe non SE cars came like that in 1995 - I don't think I've ever seen a non SE one in the metal.  Odd that someone would order a non SE car, and then load it up with expensive options like climate control, electric front seats, hifi speaker system, all round electric windows, self dipping mirror, outside temperature gauge and  those alloys.  Maybe they just hated wood.......

Another one like it HERE -- Maybe they are both imported from Japan.  Perhaps different spec there.

Edited by Calypso-E34

The front has been painted at least ..you can see the number plate fixings are calypso as is the small part of the bumper bar behind the plastic .. this is silver so its been blown over but make no mistake .. its worth decent money for mileage and condition and its a lovely colour too !

And technically it should have a wooden gear knob on it !!

Edited by The Flying Banana

I am always suspicious of dealers that remove plates from cars it makes it just that much harder to check even the basics.

There's a dealer up the road from me that buys almost 100% from "little old ladies" on eBay and marks them up, turds and all, normally circa 300%.

I am pretty certain that this car was one that came up for sale a short while ago on the Island of Jersey and didn't sell until the current dealer went and bought it.  It was priced around the £2K mark so if anyone does buy it, the dealer presumably is making a handsome profit.

3 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Tell you what though - If you want to see a late E34 with a very odd spec, have a look HERE - It has the later wider grille and the later airbag steering wheel which it shares with the E39, however the unpainted lower body and lack of sill covers would suggest a pre facelift car.  This would appear to be backed up by the interior, which other than the steering wheel, looks to be pre facelift, with the older door cards.

Maybe non SE cars came like that in 1995 - I don't think I've ever seen a non SE one in the metal.  Odd that someone would order a non SE car, and then load it up with expensive options like climate control, electric front seats, hifi speaker system, all round electric windows, self dipping mirror, outside temperature gauge and  those alloys.  Maybe they just hated wood.......

Another one like it HERE -- Maybe they are both imported from Japan.  Perhaps different spec there.

You are totally right about the first 525i auto, the interior is prefacelift, both the cloth pattern and door cards are the earlier type.  It's not a very early interior, I noticed yesteday when at Tim Polock's place that a G reg M20B25 he has in, has black leather sides to the rear bench head rests.

Expensive, but beautiful.

Go on, bin that horrible F10, modern BMWs are boring and all the same. I can't tell a 3 from a 5 these days. A 525i of this vintage you can retrofit leather, cruise, loadsa toys. It'd be a thing of beauty amongst a sea of mundane BMWs. A BMW that stands out in a crowd of tedium.

Go on, you know you want to. Then your name will match your car again.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:32 AM, Calypso-E34 said:

From the listing:

Originally Built & Supplied In The EU, This Vehicle Was Then Exported & Sold New By BMW Japan.