Loadmaster

DVLA SORN Question

If I buy a vehicle which is delivered to me by its owner, whereupon following delivery we do the deal and it becomes mine, how do I SORN it immediately with the DVLA if I have no intention of using it for a month or three?

This must happen a lot but I can’t see the appropriate answer to that scenario on the DVLA website.

Thanks.

Edited by Loadmaster

Just now, Loadmaster said:

If I buy a vehicle which is delivered to me by its owner, whereupon following delivery we do the deal and it becomes mine, how do I SORN it immediately with the DVLA if I have no intention of using it for a month or three, just storing it off road in my garage?

This must happen a lot but I can’t see the appropriate answer to that scenario on the DVLA website.

Thanks.

You should be able to do this using the V5 document number (many digits) on the green part that becomes yours. Instead of paying for VED there must be an option for Sorn instead.

18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You should be able to do this using the V5 document number (many digits) on the green part that becomes yours. Instead of paying for VED there must be an option for Sorn instead.

Thanks Andrew - was trying to find a way of doing it 'real time' on-line but I guess this method will be acceptable if needs must.

Cheers.  

55 minutes ago, The Flying Banana said:

you can do it online ..new keeper can be done online ..when V5 comes thru you can SORN it ..DVLA are ok with this time difference

That was my concern, the time difference between the two. Never done a SORN before and I don't know how strict DVLA are with this sort of thing.

TBH providing it's being kept off the road there is no urgency to SORN it, the only issue arises when you try to use it without paying the RFL and get caught by a police or roadside camera. If you're not using it the DVLA are not really that bothered.

15 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

TBH providing it's being kept off the road there is no urgency to SORN it, the only issue arises when you try to use it without paying the RFL and get caught by a police or roadside camera. If you're not using it the DVLA are not really that bothered.

I don't think that's the case anymore.  The previous owner will declare that he is no longer the owner, and that he has sold it to you. From that moment on, the car is not taxed, and DVLA know this.  They don't need to catch you out on the road to fine you.  Same thing if it's not insured.  Big Brother knows!!

16 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

Per Calypso's points above, which echo my thoughts:

Not having done a SORN before, I was assuming that because the previous owner would be claiming any unused RFL back, DVLA would then catch on to the fact that no application for tax has been made by the new owner. Therefore, an unexplained 'gap' if not immediately SORNd = letter through the post to new owner. 

Yeah, I analyse things too much sometimes - blame my job! 

Edited by Loadmaster

You can only sorn a vehicle after you get the new V5. 

If you're that bothered phone the DVLA and speak to an actual person (it's a hard job to do that but it can be done! ;) ) they will tell you to wait until you've got the V5 then either phone up or do it via online. 

It's all recorded and they can see on their system how far you have gone with with ever way you've tried to sorn or tax a vehicle. 

You get a reminder before a fine anyway after you acquire a new vehicle ;) 

15 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I don't think that's the case anymore.  The previous owner will declare that he is no longer the owner, and that he has sold it to you. From that moment on, the car is not taxed, and DVLA know this.  They don't need to catch you out on the road to fine you.  Same thing if it's not insured.  Big Brother knows!!

Granted, but how many people do you know who seeing their former pride and joy disappear round the corner immediately drop everything and rush to the post box to send off the V5 to the DVLA notifying change of owner?

All I was saying was it doesn't have to be the minute you pick up the car, you have a few days grace. Also the DVLA moves at glacial speed at the best of times and unlike elephants they frequently do forget, like the time they removed my motorcycle entitlement from my licence when I moved house, then denied I had ever passed my test despite my being able to tell them the date and location!

Edited by pauliexjr

Well, I bought the old Z and it's being delivered next weekend by my wife's cousin, who's the current owner.

There's a chance that I might insure and tax it straight away but a SORN is more likely.

Per Yoko's post above, I'll wait for the V5, and then do it.