535i Andrew

Leads for connecting TVs, hdmi, 4k

I've just bought myself a 4k tv, sound bar, 4k ready blu ray player.

I've got some 4k HDMI cables but these are just relatively standard ones at £20-£25. The sound bar will connect with an optical cable.

I've seen 4k HDMI cables that are gold plated super fandango jobs but these are about £80.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/cables-and-accessories/sandstrom-s1hdm315-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-1-m-10115686-pdt.html

To get the best out of my set up, do I need to shell out funny money for a cable or will I not notice any 'drop' in signal quality between each of the units using the cheaper ones?

Thanks

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

ime the expensive cables do not warrant the difference, obs stay away from the cheapest chinktat though...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/7976/expensive-hdmi-cables-make-no-difference-and-heres-why

This. I found having my ear wax removed made more difference.;)

Edited by roofer

Yup; all snake oil!

In the past I've been bit of a sucker for expensive cables; had Tellurium Q Black between my Cyrus 8DAC amp and KEF LS50 speakers, sounded superb! Tried some basic Van Damme Blue (c£3 per meter); sounded just the same...!

Generally a cable is a cable, if it's chunky and feels solid, with solid connections, then it'll be just fine ;) 

31 minutes ago, amauvis said:

Quality is important in an analogue cable, but not in a digital cable. It either works or it doesn't, there are no half-measures.

Poundland HDMI has been doing me for years :)

Not in the world of broadcast.

Poor quality cable and connectors seriously limits the distance a video signal will travel, and nowadays you are talking data rates up to 12Gb/sec for UHD.

As to the OP: the £25 cables you're talking about are absolutely fine. Says the bloke with the 4:3 CRT TV - no HD, no flat panels here; RGB (with the occasional foray into PAL) rules the roost :)

Edited by e60neindanke

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup; all snake oil!

In the past I've been bit of a sucker for expensive cables; had Tellurium Q Black between my Cyrus 8DAC amp and KEF LS50 speakers, sounded superb! Tried some basic Van Damme Blue (c£3 per meter); sounded just the same...!

Generally a cable is a cable, if it's chunky and feels solid, with solid connections, then it'll be just fine ;) 

Speaker cable at home came from a broadcast supply company: 4 x 4mm sq. OFC conductors in a round jacket. Used to bi-amp my B&W 802s, but will now bi-wire now I have replaced the Arcams with a Musical Fidelity M6Si.

22 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

Speaker cable at home came from a broadcast supply company: 4 x 4mm sq. OFC conductors in a round jacket. Used to bi-amp my B&W 802s, but will now bi-wire now I have replaced the Arcams with a Musical Fidelity M6Si.

Sounds like what the Van Damme stuff is. Chunky, but simple and bloody cheap too :)

I'm on wireless LS50s now, so no need for all the cables etc..

802s eh? Ok for some ;) Closest I ever got to them was some previous PM1s (sounded sublime, just a shame they're not actives) and some older 704s... 

1 hour ago, amauvis said:

Quality is important in an analogue cable, but not in a digital cable. It either works or it doesn't, there are no half-measures.

Poundland HDMI has been doing me for years :)

This..... Digital signal it makes no odds in a domestic setup. Back in the days of Scart it made a difference having quality cables.

I made my own speaker cables from some 4core 4mm flex. £1/m from local electrical wholesaler. Heat shrink for ID. SORTED!!! I personally think people that pay silly money for speaker cable are a bit 'silly'. dont get me started on expensive power leads......:blink:

I bought some oxygen free, double insulated copper speaker cable for some relatively long (c25m) cable runs once; it was definitely a better sound at higher power/volume than the cheapie thin car speaker cable it replaced.

Digital cables, cheap will do for me.

47 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

802s eh? Ok for some ;) Closest I ever got to them was some previous PM1s (sounded sublime, just a shame they're not actives) and some older 704s... 

I got lucky. A friend knew a classical music producer and he died: his partner wanted rid of all his stuff (including several thousand 78s) so I got the 802s for £500 the pair. I also helped empty the 78s (nearly all classical) into the motor-home of a buyer from Ireland: that was well down on its suspension by the time we'd finished!

They really are an amazing thing to listen to: the only thing I haven't got is the filter unit for them that sits between pre- and power amp(s) that levels the response to 25Hz...

The bedroom setup is a more modest pair of DM601s, bought for £60 :)

3 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

I bought some oxygen free, double insulated copper speaker cable for some relatively long (c25m) cable runs once; it was definitely a better sound at higher power/volume than the cheapie thin car speaker cable it replaced.

That's because you're getting into the realms of I²R losses there. This is what always gets me about these car noise nutters who go on about 1Ω loads - surely, unless you're mounting the amp directly onto the speaker or else are wiring it with bits of scrap power station busbar, surely those losses must become an issue?

17 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

I got lucky. A friend knew a classical music producer and he died: his partner wanted rid of all his stuff (including several thousand 78s) so I got the 802s for £500 the pair. I also helped empty the 78s (nearly all classical) into the motor-home of a buyer from Ireland: that was well down on its suspension by the time we'd finished!

They really are an amazing thing to listen to: the only thing I haven't got is the filter unit for them that sits between pre- and power amp(s) that levels the response to 25Hz...

The bedroom setup is a more modest pair of DM601s, bought for £60 :)

Bloody 'ell... That's a scarily cheap price for 802s!

601s we're my first Bowers speakers, after Acoustic Energy AE100s and 109s after them. 

Still have the 601s in our loft. One tweeter blew and never did repair it :roll:

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Bloody 'ell... That's a scarily cheap price for 802s!

601s we're my first Bowers speakers, after Acoustic Energy AE100s and 109s after them. 

Still have the 601s in our loft. One tweeter blew and never did repair it :roll:

Really? I thought I was about to be told I'd paid over the odds! I have never found out how much they were new - any idea? They are Matrix 802 series 2, if that's any help so quite old. I have just seen how much the current 802s are - EEK!

You should fix your 601s, I have been so impressed by mine.

33 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

Really? I thought I was about to be told I'd paid over the odds! I have never found out how much they were new - any idea? They are Matrix 802 series 2, if that's any help so quite old. I have just seen how much the current 802s are - EEK!

You should fix your 601s, I have been so impressed by mine.

Ah, they're Matrix 802s, hadn't realised. £500 is still cheap IIRC 

The 601s are good, but I've nowhere to use them, so they just stay boxed up etc... 

16 hours ago, NWJW said:

I haven't even read the responses yet, all I'm going to say is copper is copper, don't fall for the marketing bullshit!

About the only time that comes apart is when you're dealing with serious RF stuff, where silver plating of solid conductors is beneficial due to the 'skin effect'.

This thread also reminds me of this: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/man-personally-offended-by-friends-small-tv-20171110138963

:D

On 09/11/2017 at 6:11 PM, e60neindanke said:

Not in the world of broadcast.

Poor quality cable and connectors seriously limits the distance a video signal will travel, and nowadays you are talking data rates up to 12Gb/sec for UHD.

I think you’d be a bit disappointed if you actually saw the cabling in a broadcasters head-end. I’m not saying it’s bad quality (it has to support 12g-SDI after all), but it’s generally just cheap coax of the correct spec, with a crimped on bog-standard steel bnc.

No gold plated anything. No concerns about how many decimal places free of oxygen the copper is either. Just decent shielding and a rugged connector that can be kicked around the floor of a server room for years without breaking.

1 hour ago, Spandex said:

I think you’d be a bit disappointed if you actually saw the cabling in a broadcasters head-end. I’m not saying it’s bad quality (it has to support 12g-SDI after all), but it’s generally just cheap coax of the correct spec, with a crimped on bog-standard steel bnc.

No gold plated anything. No concerns about how many decimal places free of oxygen the copper is either. Just decent shielding and a rugged connector that can be kicked around the floor of a server room for years without breaking.

Errr.... I know. That's my job, has been for the last 34 years! I wouldn't have said Draka Image 720 was 'cheap' either! Hence why I laugh at the 'golden ear' brigade when I see what a typical sound installation is (twisted copper pairs more at home in a telephone exchange).

The last time I really found silver-plated connectors in use were the old MUSA connectors, which were developed for radar, the name coming from Multiple Unit Steerable Array. Hence the RF mention.

The pins are usually gold-plated in a BNC and are machined to ever-tighter tolerances, but yes, it's quite a surprise what you can get away with. BNCs are rarely steel though - usually brass. http://www.neutrik.com/en/bnc/reartwist-cable-connectors/nbnc75bfg7

Edited by e60neindanke

Was part of my job too for 20 years, before I moved over to more consumer electronics stuff.

When I say ‘cheap’ I mean compared to ‘decent’ consumer stuff - no broadcaster would pay those per metre prices when they’re throwing kilometres of the stuff in. And for shorter runs of a few metres you can really get away with any old crap. My point being that people hold up ‘broadcast quality’ as a gold standard, but they don’t realise that cables in a broadcast environment are as basic as possible and they work just fine.

edit: oh, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice Neutrik connector like that in a broadcast environment.

Edited by Spandex

1 hour ago, Spandex said:

Was part of my job too for 20 years, before I moved over to more consumer electronics stuff.

When I say ‘cheap’ I mean compared to ‘decent’ consumer stuff - no broadcaster would pay those per metre prices when they’re throwing kilometres of the stuff in. And for shorter runs of a few metres you can really get away with any old crap. My point being that people hold up ‘broadcast quality’ as a gold standard, but they don’t realise that cables in a broadcast environment are as basic as possible and they work just fine.

edit: oh, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice Neutrik connector like that in a broadcast environment.

You should look where I work: we've started using them in anger now we have a UHD install that's live :). And I do appreciate the comment about "any old stuff" - I've sent HD down crappy old MUSA - BNC leads made up in the 70s with the insulation pulled back, tarnish on the connectors &c. for reasonable distances. But one place I worked, you simply couldn't get SD-SDI at 270Mb/s from the far side of the studio floor over the existing cables to the technical area - it simply couldn't equalise the mess it was being presented with. Sometimes it's better to send the signal down a handy fibre and convert.

43 minutes ago, Spandex said:

Yeah, I reckon you could get sd sdi down a rusty bit of barbed wire in a quiet environment...

It's funny, because when I first encountered an SDI install back in the early 1990s it could be incredibly fussy about certain brands of connectors  lest you wanted to see green flashing. Within two years the technology had improved to the "any old thing" level.

Edited by e60neindanke