Dragon

Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser

Hi Guys. Think my car had an unwanted visitor last night. In view of problems with keyless cloning/scanning etc I was thinking of buying a couple of "Faraday" Wallets to avoid RF leakage/cloning/scanning. However, I came across the Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser today which seems the dogs b******s. Anyone had any experience/thoughts. called local BMW dealership who had never heard of it and suggested warranty would be compromised.

Know of quite a few people who are using it, it's a fantastic piece of kit. If my car wasn't the age/mileage it is then I would consider it for my car but a full tank doubles the value of my car now so no point. It's undetectable and if you disable it before taking it to the dealers, even they won't know it's fitted

Called another BMW dealership today. Yes they have heard of it and are aware of ease of acquiring key code via Diagnostics port and via scanning for key inside and outside house. They would not fit because of warranty and if out of warranty would still not touch as not a genuine part. So asked what BMW have to offer, in view of what is happening. They are to call me back....."good question, sir" was the initial response. Come on BMW!! I'll keep the forum updated as this seems to be a  serious current issue for this (and other) top marques. Interestingly Mercedes have agreed a Ghost fitting discount for it's owners. Hmmmmm!!!

Edited by Dragon

I'm the same as Sanjx.

There are tales (not sure if they are unfounded) of it being breached, but I believe this relates to the app being used?

In the 80's and early 90's I used to always  put a small, discrete switch to a fuel pump or similar in my cars, often tucked away but within easy reach, simple, cheap and effective.

Edited by sshooie

On 09/11/2017 at 12:33 PM, sshooie said:

I'm the same as Sanjx.

There are tales (not sure if they are unfounded) of it being breached, but I believe this relates to the app being used?

In the 80's and early 90's I used to always  put a small, discrete switch to a fuel pump or similar in my cars, often tucked away but within easy reach, simple, cheap and effective.

No unfortunately said car was stolen even with one of these fitted, sadly just this week in the Birmingham area. The owner deliberately was not using the app either and more so had only had the car a few weeks.

Somehow, there is a way to actually breach them without the code and get the car to start. 

The only thing that HAS been confirmed about this breach so far though is it only appears to work on Ford Focus MK2 RS's. Additionally if you look around the most targeted car maker appears to be Ford. Just this week I am aware of a certain number of dealers resorting to a disklock on the cars on the forecourt...make of that what you will.

The other issue is not so much these scum managing to steal cars, there now appears to be much more violence to actually getting the keys. CCTV appears to make no difference, so you back to talking about locks (anti snap and anti bump), window films etc. combined if necessary with internal locks.

Overall you can group theft methods like this:

1) Breaking into the home - this seems more prevalent than ever right now - some cases of serious violence (like in Yorkshire with the Golf R owner who handed over the keys, but said gang still decided to taser the poor owner - luckily this bunch got caught - one was 15 FFS!)

2) Capturing and Replaying the cars locking signals - if you cannot lock your car then have a good look around for any suspicious activity

3) Extending the wireless keys range via extenders in bags - this seems a now very common method being used. It only really works for Comfort Access cars in our case though. Although technically it could be used for any non comfort access cars once they gained entry. It is worth buying an RF signal blocking bag for your spare and main keys each night to prevent such actions or use a foil lined tin. I have one and the car genuinely just cannot see the key even next to the steering column.

4) Using things like luckylocks turbo decoders to unpick the door lock, and using a mixture of extending the wireless signal, OBD port to attempt to copy keys to get it started etc. 

5) Smashing the window appears less obvious, but I have still seen a few and then similar to 4 to get it started

6) Lifting the sod on to a lorry

7) Following the owner home and yes use of violence again

It might also be worth checking for some of any unusual things stuck in wheel arches or the underside as some trackers have been found on cars after car shows etc.

I have a Ghost fitted to my 7 month old Golf GTI and after a break in where they took only car keys it prevented my car from being stolen. Unfortunately, this was the second incident within 3 months (the first time they failed to get into the house) so this week I'm swapping the Golf for an F11 and I will be getting the Ghost moved to the BMW.

3 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Ghost can now also be bypassed.

Any links? I heard about some issues with them being bypasses on Focus RS/STs I think it was but it was limited to that specific car as far as I am aware, and was patched by Autowatch.

iirc it was initially due to the app, there are lots of info over on the stolen car groups on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/794001950679901/search/?query=ghost

eta, a friend lives in Dewsbury and had had his RS4 and Mrs 6 week old Mini convertible taken a couple of years ago, he found a couple of guys trying to get into his M5 last Thursday, to say he's pissed off is an understatement.

Edited by sshooie

Were they fitted with a Ghost? 

My wife’s car was stolen in the second of the two attempts on us in November when the Ghost saved mine. Hers was just the factory fit stuff, but once they have the keys... It was eventually recovered undamaged and virtually unused, with the key but the insurance had already paid out. 

No, they were std security and taken following a break in for the keys. He has an M5 and a SLK55 now so has been twitchy. The only thing he's done is fit a decent post to the drive but as I mentioned they will just ram it.

Personally I see the cars as an insured asset, nothing in comparison with my families safety so I leave the keys out of sight but down stairs and accessible.

I also wouldn't want any of them back once they had been taken and ragged around, also worth checking if they then show up as stolen recovered.