Bor3sz

BM24 Aux / USB

Hello everyone!

What’s the criterion of attaching an aux-input with a pendrive or a jack to the original 676a hi-fi (BM24+6CD+16:9navi) 2000/03 Europe version hungary.gif ? 

Pendrive or DAP would be the source of music.
The plan is the following: an audio-processor goes on top of the original device, and then a 4channel- and a mono-amplifier go on top of the audio-processor. (The change of wires and the speaker is provided.) Now I have the amplifiers, but I haven’t thought about the aux. -_-
The processor out there : Audison bit ten D +DRC (used at a good price) http://www.audison.eu/download.php?file=assets/1486468383_Audison_bitTen_D_Tech_Sheet.pdf&name=bit_ten_d_tech_sheet_tech_sheet 
And I don’t want to buy the processor if it’s not necessary. 
What would be the simpler, easier choice?
Thanks for the help. beerchug.gif

Hi

Welcome to the forum !

From what you've mentioned, there's bit of a 'mis match'. By that I mean that an Aux In is a low quality source, potential for distortion is high due to the analog output from the source being plugged in and the input of the device/setup you'll be wanting to use (in this case the oem audio setup). A DAP is capable of outputting high quality audio, so if that's your plan, then using an Aux In will lose you most of the 'quality'. Also, given that an Aux-in is audio only, then you'll need to control the music device by hand and here in the UK, if you are seen holding a device by the Police, or worse cause an accident or injury/death and it's proven you were using a handheld device, then the book will be thrown at you along with a hefty prison sentence. I don't know if it's the same in Hungary, but overall, with these aspects Id' say it's not worth having a aux in given how many people have moved to more modern features and technology which also provides higher quality too. 

I'd say get yourself the Intravee 2 and Alpine KCA-420i setup, you can then add an iPod to the oem audio, be able to control it via the oem buttons and have access to a much bigger library of music.

The oem BM24 amp is part of the setup as you know, these along with other oem modules are getting old now and failing more often. You'll need to keep in mind about fixing / repairing your unit sooner or later. Assuming it all works, then you can add a processor which takes all the outputs from the BM24 and it'll cleverly, output a clean, voltage boosted and as acoustically flat signal as it can no matter how hard you drive that bm24 (on it's own, it's not such a great amplifier in terms of specification and has relatively high distortion levels given it's low RMS power output). That 'clean' signal you can provide to your choice of good, high quality amplifiers and then in turn to similar high quality and performance aftermarket speakers. The overall effect will be a much cleaner and better sounding setup whilst still retaining the oem modules. This 'level' of performance is the best you'll get from the OEM audio, however, a good quality brand aftermarket head unit will still sound better overall. 

Ultimately, it all depends on how well you want your music reproduced, the type of products you want for the setup and how much you wish to spend. There's many topics on this and different owners have gone different ways for instance. Personally for me, I have zero oem modules in my car and if I had a nice M5 or 540i or any other sough after E39, I'd do the same and remove all the oem audio and replace with much better performance after market products for the musical level I prefer. I understand how other's don't wish to do that and *must* retain the oem look in the dash!

Cheers, Dennis!

18 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi

Welcome to the forum !

Hello.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I want a more serious installation to leave the OEM stuff, but leave the radio.
What's up to now:
-Mosconi Gladen 120.4 + Focal PS130
-Steg K 2.02 (sub @ 2ohm) + Rainbow Germanium 12
I would not disable the 16: 9 display because I would listen to the radio.
But so I can not listen to my own music because there is no external source attached.
What can I do?
Another BM54 module to connect an aux?

Hi

As you are mentioning Mosconi, Focal, Gladen, then these are higher quality brands and capable of some excellent performance! 

As a 'phase 1' step, you  can go the route I mention above - Get a processor that takes all the outputs from the OEM BM24 amplifier module and leave the complete OEM audio system in place. Get the Intravee 2/Alpine KCA-420i setup so that you can use an iPod and control it via the oem controls. Have a look at this setup I wrote up about in a local customer of mine a few years ago;

To keep costs down, you don't have to retrim the boot panels, use illumination or perspex etc - just have the enclosure made well and use matching trim/carpet only. Have the door speakers in a MDF baffle and you can remove the oem plastic pods, your new speakers will play much better. 

As for an Aux in - I don't recommend it as per above. If you *must* have an aux in, then look to the many threads all over the BMW forums on which way you'd like to go. 

A 'phase 2' setup is where the Intravee is added and then you also add an Alpine Processor to it, along with a breakout box and the 'best' signal source is obtained from the setup via the Intravee. The Alpine Processor can then be controlled via the oem buttons too. The 'better' signal is then fed to your amplifiers and speakers.The benefits of this route is then you get advanced features like Time Alignment, adjustable crossover points (I believe) etc and all controlled from the oem buttons/display. 

A number of owners on this forum have gone this 'phase 2' route and the results are very very good indeed. However, on the downside, in order to get that impressiveness level, there's been some significant spending levels too. Additional aspects like more sound deadening, customisation of the baffles behind the doors, careful design/planning of which subwoofers to use along with the optimum enclosure size, careful choosing of the front end speakers etc all push the price up. The results are very very good indeed given the spend level. Again, for me, the amount of spend for this, both in terms of products and time/effort spent fitting it all means performance is still a bit less than using a higher quality aftermarket head unit. 

For other options to an an Aux in, SD card music files playback and Bluetooth Streaming look at brands such as GROM, Dice, Dension and mObridge. You can also look at the upgrades offered at Carphonics - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bmw.htm I think with this option, you'll have to upgrade to the BM54 unit and then do the modifications, further adding to your costs. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Maybe this option?
A Pioneer x580DAB (3way xover, DSP, 4V RCA) in the luggage compartment MK4. ARC App can be controlled from the phone. This allows the factory unit to be completely discharged.

That's right:
-Bluetooth
-flac / USB
-remember player (this was missing most)
-I do not need to carve anything (only the CD changer is flying)

On the factory 16: 9 display, you can go to the factory computer.

Van-damme cables have long been available, I bought this as RCA and speaker cable. I imagined an active system without crossovers (the Pioneer head)
For silence Silent Coat (2 doors, luggage compartment).

(The BM54 breaks down as much as this Pioneer.)

Edited by Bor3sz

Hi Bor3sz,

It's a bit difficult to understand your reply above, but I've re-read it a couple of times!

If you get that Pioneer X580 head unit, all the oem modules become redundant - they don't work with any aftermarket head units. I think by 'discharged' you mean the same as 'redundant'.

I don't know what you mean by 'remember player' 

I think you mean 'cut' anything rather than 'carve'. I don't know what you mean by 'only CD changer is flying' (is it because it's so old now it will be flying into the bin?!)

As for the 16:9 monitor, remember for that to work you need to keep all the OEM modules installed and working, so, if you want the OBC computer functions, then keep all the oem modules and put the monitor perhaps in the boot/luggage compartment or somehow in the glovebox. 

Sounds like you have the speaker and RCA cables sorted out. For sound deadening you can perhaps do the doors and boot area - the E39 is quite well insulated as per factory spec, it's only if you'll be running quite powerful/bigger amounts of RMS power for your amplifiers that you might make the speakers you choose play so loud that you'll need to use sound deadening. The other way to think for sound deadening is that you can listen at more reasonable levels due to the quieter cabin.

I think you mean the cost of the Pioneer is the same as modifying the BM24 unit and/or fixing/repairing/modifying one?

As per my initial post, you'll need to evaluate what you want from an audio upgrade and then choose products and the plan of installation from there. Most owners don't want a single DIN in their E39's, they want a head unit that 'looks like' the OEM monitor for which currently there's only the cheap chinese choices available.

Cheers, Dennis! 

On 2017. 11. 16. at 12:51 AM, DennisCooper said:

Hi Bor3sz,

It's a bit difficult to understand your reply above, but I've re-read it a couple of times!

If you get that Pioneer X580 head unit, all the oem modules become redundant - they don't work with any aftermarket head units. I think by 'discharged' you mean the same as 'redundant'.

I don't know what you mean by 'remember player' 

I think you mean 'cut' anything rather than 'carve'. I don't know what you mean by 'only CD changer is flying' (is it because it's so old now it will be flying into the bin?!)

As for the 16:9 monitor, remember for that to work you need to keep all the OEM modules installed and working, so, if you want the OBC computer functions, then keep all the oem modules and put the monitor perhaps in the boot/luggage compartment or somehow in the glovebox. 

Sounds like you have the speaker and RCA cables sorted out. For sound deadening you can perhaps do the doors and boot area - the E39 is quite well insulated as per factory spec, it's only if you'll be running quite powerful/bigger amounts of RMS power for your amplifiers that you might make the speakers you choose play so loud that you'll need to use sound deadening. The other way to think for sound deadening is that you can listen at more reasonable levels due to the quieter cabin.

I think you mean the cost of the Pioneer is the same as modifying the BM24 unit and/or fixing/repairing/modifying one?

As per my initial post, you'll need to evaluate what you want from an audio upgrade and then choose products and the plan of installation from there. Most owners don't want a single DIN in their E39's, they want a head unit that 'looks like' the OEM monitor for which currently there's only the cheap chinese choices available.

Cheers, Dennis! 

Yes, I do not go to English :(, google translator is not perfect. Sorry!

I know OEM amplifier + BM module + 16: 9 display will not communicate with this hi-fi installation. Only the computer shows what it does not have to control anything. The CD changer would only be on the way to the smaller Mosconi amplifier, so it should only be removed from there. Physical dimensions are smaller than the CD storage space, so it can fit in. In the trunk there would be a sublage. Everything else would be under cover. The new Pioneer head unit, with a 3 year warranty, costs as much as a used BM54 module. Amin has no RCA, crossover, Bluetooth, DSP, Flac playback.
That's why I'm thinking that you should buy / make it.

I was thinking about the Eonon unit, but navigation is not important, I do not know what it is and it's pretty expensive.

So the OEM hifi will be silent, just showing on the display the time, consumption, anything . Maybe a rearview camera would be attached to make it a picture and ready.
The built-in hi-fi is parallel to the factory with all the music / radio in a better-than-quality. From the steering wheel I can write and have ARC App.