pow

99 523i not coming to life...

HI all,

Friend of mine has a T reg 523i, basic spec job auto gearbox.

He rang me last week saying it took a few flicks of the key to get it going, dash lights not coming on etc but managed to fire it up and get it home. Rang me today and said it's doing weird stuff such as indicators/lights randomly on or off (or flickering), no interior lights and when he flicks the key on he gets the battery light, oil pressure light and handbrake light only. Whipped round there and there is nothing, the three lights on when you turn the ignition to position 2, no lights at 1, no starter response, no mileage display or other lights (ECU/ACS etc), no radio. Changed my ignition switch for his (off my 528i) which I know works just fine and was exactly the same.

He is wondering if he has charged the battery incorrectly but I said I'd check here to see if anyone has any ideas?

To me it looks like the ECU or BCM/DME (is that the interior module) isn't working/blown but I'm not 100% sure.

Checked fuses 14/15 in the glovey, they're fine, anything else to check?

Thanks.

My first thought was ignition switch. One other option is to check for moisture  under the drivers seat or rear passenger seat footwell behind the driver. There’s fuses and wiring under there. 

99.99999% sure it's not the ignition switch, swapped with mine which is known good (it has NEVER failed to start the car or given any problems, and has started it 4 or 5 times since swapping it). Where are the fuses around the seats? Worth a check.

Check around the engine ECU for moisture / corrosion on the connectors

Think it's accessible if you remove the passenger side pollen filter