Sign in to follow this  
Loadmaster

Kawasaki Z750 - Modern Classic?

Not had a bike for the last couple of years (told myself I was finished with it all :rolleyes:) but am considering buying a 2004 Z750 which has become available through my wife's cousin.

Just three owners, full service history and 7,200 miles on the clock. Immaculate condition and full service history. Tasteful mods - Remus can, tail tidy, belly pan, Renthal bars and braided lines. The previous owner cleaned and detailed the engine with a toothbrush - it's had a pampered life!

The first eight MOT tests were done at the same test centre, with sometimes just 50 or so miles between each test. I've spoke to the test centre and they verified all was in order and a rarely used machine for dry sunny days.

So, £2500 and it's mine. He's in no hurry to sell and is not using it so it's a slow time decision I can make.

I'd think that at that price, which seems to be a good average from what I've seen, it would still be worth the same money in two, four or however many years time.

Anyone else have a relatively rare bike of a similar age? What are your thoughts on values?

Cheers.

Edited by Loadmaster

I'm not a huge bike person but it sounds like a right steal at that price. Sounds like he's letting it go cheap to you too. What's to stop you treating yourself, getting a year or twos riding out of it then selling it on again? Surely it must be possible to break even on something like that?

Hmm a naked with a chain and no ABS just as winter arrives, no thanks I will stick with my 2005 R1200ST.

I am a bit biased though 15-20,000 miles a year for the last 40 years has made me a shaft drive fan for the last 30 of those.

If that style of bike suits your craving then go for it the price seems very fair.

in the mid 70's I used hanker after the then new Z650. That was a superb bike for its time.

8 hours ago, Alexak said:

Hmm a naked with a chain and no ABS just as winter arrives, no thanks I will stick with my 2005 R1200ST.

I am a bit biased though 15-20,000 miles a year for the last 40 years has made me a shaft drive fan for the last 30 of those.

If that style of bike suits your craving then go for it the price seems very fair.

in the mid 70's I used hanker after the then new Z650. That was a superb bike for its time.

Would be a summer toy only these days, just something to be ridden occasionally. Not for winter commutes or even wet weather.

Two wheels to tinker with in the garage, kinda miss that.

They’re nice bikes. It probably won’t loose much money over the next few years as long as it’s kept in good condition so why not? 

I gave up riding bikes eventually as i was as I was riding less and less, personally I think you have to ride regularly in order to be in the right mindset. It’s not like driving a car and I felt a bit rusty a lot of the time. 

10 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'm not a huge bike person but it sounds like a right steal at that price. Sounds like he's letting it go cheap to you too. What's to stop you treating yourself, getting a year or twos riding out of it then selling it on again? Surely it must be possible to break even on something like that?

Thanks for your thoughts. It's a very fair price, given its condition and provenance.

As said previously, summer toy and something to tinker with. Not looking for any sort of investment but it's something that would still be worth the same, maybe more albeit marginal, in years to come.

3 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

They’re nice bikes. It probably won’t loose much money over the next few years as long as it’s kept in good condition so why not? 

I gave up riding bikes eventually as i was as I was riding less and less, personally I think you have to ride regularly in order to be in the right mindset. It’s not like driving a car and I felt a bit rusty a lot of the time. 

Very true, I'm certainly not as sharp as a few years back and would never go back to hooning about like I did for many years.

A younger man's game... :lol: