lol64

my g31 order

First of all, thanks to all lovely people who answered my G3x questions before I placed my order.

Secondly, I suggest that we write up a definitive "what all those options mean" FAQ and sticky it at the head of this forum ;)

I'm only half joking. I'm sure that even BMW employees don't really understand what everything on the option list is and what goes with what! Case in point: my (admittedly huge) 4x4 car has 360º cameras and if, while you are reversing, a pedestrian or vehicle appears in an area that you CAN'T possibly see, the safety systems will bleep, bong and flash. If you are daft enough to proceed with the warning lights flashing and the bleeps bleeping, it will brake the car just in time so that you don't bash into anything or anybody. I'm not really sure that I need this feature. I seem to have survived 30+ years of driving without it. Anyhow, the point is: I asked the very nice young BMW sales man whether this is an option on a 5 series and had a firm answer, "No, BMW don't do this." But in fact they do have EXACTLY this feature, it's just part of some stupid option pack somewhere. So, whilst the memory is fresh, I'd be up for contributing to a bluffers guide to the option list (anyone under 50 might call this "BMW G3x 2018 option list for Dummies") :)

With no further ado, for your viewing pleasure, my spec: (order placed 30th Oct, Jan delivery)

ZM6H G31 530d xDrive M Sport Touring B57 3.0d 
C2Y Bluestone
LCFK Black Dakota leather with exclusive contrast stitching/piping
Options
Z0C Visibility package 
502 Headlight wash
552 Adaptive LED Headlights
5AC High-beam Assistant
ZGM Comfort package
322 Comfort Access
459 Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
4T8 Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
5DN Parking Assistant Plus
248 Steering wheel heating
420 Sun protection glass
481 Sport seats, front
488 Lumbar support, driver and front pass.
575 12V power sockets 
5A1 LED foglights, front 
5AS Driving Assistant 
610 Head-up Display
676 Loudspeaker system - BMW Advanced
704 M Sport suspension
715 M aerodynamic bodystyling
760 Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline
775 Headlining, Anthracite

Standard Options
337 M Sport Package
21P 19" M Double-spoke style 664M alloy wheels
2NH M Sport braking system
4K7 Aluminium Rhombicle interior trim with Pearl
Chrome trim finisher
710 M Steering Wheel
258 Run-flat tyres
2TB Sport automatic transmission
302 Alarm system (Thatcham 1)
3MC Roof rails, High-gloss Shadowline
423 Floor mats, velour
428 First Aid Kit & Triangle
494 Seat heating, front
4AW Instrument panel in Sensatec
4UR Ambient lighting
534 Automatic Air Conditioning
609 Navigation system Professional
654 DAB digital radio
6AC BMW Emergency call
6AE BMW TeleServices
6AK BMW Online Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information
6WB Digital Cockpit

If there are any glaring idiocies, please do keep them to yourself as it is too late to do anything about it.

On 05/11/2017 at 12:04 AM, lol64 said:

Case in point: my (admittedly huge) 4x4 car has 360º cameras and if, while you are reversing, a pedestrian or vehicle appears in an area that you CAN'T possibly see, the safety systems will bleep, bong and flash. If you are daft enough to proceed with the warning lights flashing and the bleeps bleeping, it will brake the car just in time so that you don't bash into anything or anybody. I'm not really sure that I need this feature. I seem to have survived 30+ years of driving without it. Anyhow, the point is: I asked the very nice young BMW sales man whether this is an option on a 5 series and had a firm answer, "No, BMW don't do this." But in fact they do have EXACTLY this feature, it's just part of some stupid option pack somewhere.

I was reading this in stitches because the whole time I was thinking "my car does exactly does this" - it will brake automatically (an option you can switch off if you like) if it thinks you are going to hit something when the camera's are on.

I have parking assistant plus which gives the 360 cameras but I'm not sure if it does the same auto-brake thing if you just have reversing camera. 

You are right - its a sad fact that the salesman is the last person you should ask about what each function does in detail. Very few bother to learn the car inside out the way you or I would.

Great looking spec by the way!

5 hours ago, mobilejo said:

I have parking assistant plus which gives the 360 cameras but I'm not sure if it does the same auto-brake thing if you just have reversing camera. 

Interesting, I thought that part of the "auto braking" came with the driving assistant pack (which I got mainly for the traffic sign recognition).

I'm really looking forward to using the Parking Assistant Plus BTW, I see you have that on your car. Is it true that you can access the cameras remotely from an iphone app?

8 hours ago, lol64 said:

Interesting, I thought that part of the "auto braking" came with the driving assistant pack (which I got mainly for the traffic sign recognition).

I'm really looking forward to using the Parking Assistant Plus BTW, I see you have that on your car. Is it true that you can access the cameras remotely from an iphone app?

When I said auto braking, I was referring only to the car applying the brakes when the cameras are on to stop you hitting other cars, walls, people etc at low speeds. I don't have driving assistant so it's not that.

Driving assistant introduces a different layer of safety related features.

All cars also come with the basic collision prevention system that will warn you then brake the car if it thinks you are going to hit something while driving at normal speeds. I've experienced the warning but not the braking.

8 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Cameras can be accessed remotely on the Connected app. .can look a bit weird when parked alongside other vehicles though!

Yep, spot on! I thought it was just me getting the weird looking cars nearby

4 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Haven't yet found it that useful but impressive stuff none the less

The day I picked up the car we went away for the weekend and the car was left on my drive. You can imagine how paranoid I was leaving a brand new car for 3 days. The remote view really helped as I could physically see it was still on my drive! It doesn't have much everyday use but on the rare occasions that it is useful, it can really put your mind at rest.

I'm looking forward to using it to check the car and surroundings when it gets taken away by the valet parking people at the airports :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, farzad said:

I'm looking forward to using it to check the car and surroundings when it gets taken away by the valet parking people at the airports :ph34r:

Also, when the dealer tells you "your car is being worked on as we speak", you can check it and tell them they're lying :D

I have a feeling the range is very limited for some sort of privacy reasons - I recollect seeing something like 1500metres. Can anyone confirm this? I know I couldn't view mine in Gatwick car park  when I was overseas, which was disappointing...

6 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

I have a feeling the range is very limited for some sort of privacy reasons - I recollect seeing something like 1500metres. Can anyone confirm this? I know I couldn't view mine in Gatwick car park  when I was overseas, which was disappointing...

My car was in Birmingham and remote view worked from London.

Was the Gatwick car park a multi storey? If the car can't get an internet signal it won't work, and multi storeys will block signal.

43 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Ah, a limited range will be very disappointing in deed....

Hey @lol64 and G31 owners that might know, I'll looking for a cheaper luggage compartment protective mat for the G31. I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the BMW one which is on the expensive side.

This is a link for the one from BMW https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-Trunk-Boot-Fitted-Luggage-Compartment-Protective-Mat-51472414225/182780278728?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3D5731243411f541af9fea55a7cfc6fd25%26pid%3D100013%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D182780278728&_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986

I had a notification yesterday that my car has changed status to “build” and it’s been assigned a chassis number. That’s just over 5 weeks from factory confirmed order. No real idea how long it takes from here. The dealer says they are still hoping for a 2017 delivery, but that doesn’t seem likely to me. More like 2nd week in January I would have thought.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:17 PM, lol64 said:

Looks good, but I'm going for one of these: 

https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/bmw-5-series-touring-2017-onwards-19203

as my dog travels in the boot and I like it nice and comfy for him & easy to clean!

I've just had one of those delivered, it's really tough compared to others (Titan and Rhino). Can't actually put it in the car yet, as that doesn't arrive for another week.

Lots of ticks on that spec sheet, I really should have done the same, I went for these on mine (G31 540i)

Ivory nappa

Comfort seats

HK speakers

Electronic Dampers

Adaptive cruise

folding mirrors

Really should have gone for the vis. and tech packs, thought I'd cope but I'm getting jealous now!

Well just a quick update, in case anyone is interested in how long cars take to go through the BMW factory. I had a confirmation from BMW that my car was built, QC checks done & "left the factory" on Tuesday the 19th. So it took 12 days to build the car. In my head I had imagined manufacturing it to be a hugely fast process, so it's interesting to see how long these things really take to build, start to finish. Anyway, the dealer dropped me a quick email yesterday to say that the car was still "waiting to go on a boat". I'm not sure how long the rest of the process will take now, but not long now!