Rosiebs_Dad

Hard wiring dashcam, F31

Looking to hard wire my dashcam in my new F31. I noticed in another unrelated post someone mentioned "drivers side fusebox"..... I've not looked for it yet, so

a) does it exist?

B) where is it? (OK, name probably gives me a clue!)

c) is there a suggested ignition-switched fuse to piggy-back off? Used the cig lighter fuse in my previous F11

I'm going to have a poke around shortly anyway, but if anyone can save me a bit of time would've appreciated.

S

So, quick update. There appears to be 3 fuse boxes/panels in total, one in the boot (offside), the front offside and another one front nearside.

The one on drivers side is accessed via the trim panel above the pedals, two plastic twist clips either end, easy to locate. Only need to pull down the outer right part of the trim to get required access to (most) fuses. Fuse F50 is your friend, ignition-switched accessory circuit.

There's a couple of potential earthing points, not completed install yet as can't find the damn cable I took out the other car last week.

Will try to get some pics when I do the I properly.

Edited by Rosiebs_Dad

was going to say fusebox on drivers side best place to go, easily clip into several spares in there. 

Also, model is G31, not F31 ;)

On 11/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, Rosiebs_Dad said:

Looking to hard wire my dashcam in my new F31. I noticed in another unrelated post someone mentioned "drivers side fusebox"..... I've not looked for it yet, so

a) does it exist?

B) where is it? (OK, name probably gives me a clue!)

c) is there a suggested ignition-switched fuse to piggy-back off? Used the cig lighter fuse in my previous F11

I'm going to have a poke around shortly anyway, but if anyone can save me a bit of time would've appreciated.

S

As any manufacturer offering surround view worked out to do dashcam too... So stupid people have to buy and wire third party dashcam when they is already all the tech in the car to do it.

Edited by reggie59
Missing letter

Afternoon Everyone this is my first post so here we go......

Ive just installed a dash cam into my G31 and hardwired it into the front offside fusebox. The install was very easy using a piggy back fuse holder and all the wiring is concealed. The fuse i used was F46, which powers down approx 5 minutes after locking the car. The wire was routed under the mirror housing (no need to remove) then across the drivers side heading and down the A-pillar before terminating at the fusebox.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

Thanks

Paul

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4769.png

Thanks for all the above posts.

I am looking to install a dash cam in my G30 using a Blackvue through a Power Magic Voltage protection Device for Parking Mode.

I see Deganwyman has used F46 and another user has used 59 both switched. I am looking to see where I would connect the un-switched lead to for Parking Mode, which the Power Magic monitors.

Given there is no usual ignition and Connected Drive wakes up on door opening I am not sure.

If anyone could advise looking at the circuit (link here) and explain the bottom RH corner to me, I would appreciate any advice. Excuse the link but not shure how to embed the frame so it can be read :(

Cheers

Alan

There’s a few videos on Blackvue installation (I’m thinking of doing something similar to you), this one shows how to use a light tool to identify the fuses to use for the Magic Pro. If you search for ‘blackvue install’ in YouTube there’s lots of other films that will help.

Thanks Healeyfells, I've watched so many install vids inc Blackvue but hadn't seen that one, so cheers.

I am about to order the 750 2ch with Magic Power so will keep you posted.

I was just interested as to what is powered when, such as 'on opening doors' or what 'waits until engine turned on.'

I found the retaining cover a little awkward, it's OK door side but very stiff near car centre.

Thanks again.

Alan

Hi Alan, on the side closest to the centre the panel is connected to the small vertical section which descends towards the carpet. This simply unclips with a gentle tug. The fuse position I provided powers up on unlock and powers down approx 5 mins after locking.

Anybody help with regarding the Ground connection, there is one (hard to reach) one under accelerator, with extension that has 2 lugs.

I'm quite small but hard to reach LOL

Cheers

Alan

Alan, Good Morning. When you remove the panel to access the fuse box on the drivers side have a look underneath ( a bit of an athletic backflip is required to lay in the footwell to loo upwards!!). Roughly in line with the accelerator, but coming back towards the centre of the car you will find a rectangular box (airbag for legs I think!!) I used a spade connector on the mounting bolt which has a good connection with the bodywork. There is no interference with the integrity of the airbag, and you only need to slacken it by a couple of turns to get the connector in. Hope this helps

Thanks for this, so far the hardest part has been getting the speaker of the access panel, to remove it!

Here's a pic if you could just confirm the part you mean, like you say you have to be a contortionist to get there!

Cheers, Alan

Driver footwell.jpg

Hi Alan, you are definately in the correct location. with regards to the earth point any point that is connected to the bodywork will work. the point I used is just behind that grey panel at the top of the pic.

I managed to leave the speaker connected and just ease it aside.

Good luck 

Thanks Deganwyman, OK I found the earth point you refer to and found a socket that fits but the damn Spade that comes with the Magic Power is too small, so will have to get another spade connector.

Fitting everything looks like the easy part, I am glad I started where I did which was checking each point in the installation! Next will be making sure I have enough room for when I refit the panel.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Alan

Hi Paul, I eventually managed to connect the ground:)

When you wired to fuse box, how did you get from A Pillar down and across and into fuse box area? Did you use side panel (I assume it just un-clips) or managed just to pass wire through the thin slot?

Thanks again.

Alan

Sounds like you are nearly there:) I managed to get the wire down without removing panels I eased it down behind the top of the a pillar panel then pulled back the door seal and fed the wire down that way. At the bottom near the fuse as you suggest there is a natural gap that can be used. Pleased to say it worked well for me with no rattles or lose panels 

Edited by Deganwyman