Lloydy

E28 heater temperature problem

Hi all, I have replaced the heater valve on my e28 with a new one due to the age old problem of it being stuck on hot. Temperature adjustment works while the cabin is cool, i.e. Temperature changes when I turn the dial hot or cold. Once the interior is hot it gets stuck on hot even when the dial is on 16deg. I dropped the windows when driving to let the heat out the car and it then correctly started blowing cold air again and operating correctly! Any ideas? Could it be the interior temperature sensor? 

16 hours ago, Lloydy said:

Could it be the interior temperature sensor? 

Possibly. They are known for getting bunged up with detritus, as they operate off of vacuum from the inlet manifold. It is located above the accelerator pedal and is easily removed if you unscrew the associated trim panel below the steering column.

Cleaned out filter it was dirty. Went for a run, coolant light came on, checked over the car, the new water valve I fitted from main dealers 5 months ago is toast. It's sprung a leak! Back to Halliwell jones I feel for a free replacement. Thanks anyway. 

On 11/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, Lloydy said:

Cleaned out filter it was dirty. Went for a run, coolant light came on, checked over the car, the new water valve I fitted from main dealers 5 months ago is toast. It's sprung a leak! Back to Halliwell jones I feel for a free replacement. Thanks anyway. 

Bugger :(

You're going to hate me for this but I have just bought a heater valve repair kit from Amazon (USA) for my E24 for around £20 including shipping and import charges. it includes the O-ring, gauze and circlip. It is compatible with the E28, too! Thanks for that handy hint Mr. Tim!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCR2Y0E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon do stock a rather impressive amount of parts for these old cars, it seems. 

On 15/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, hippie dave said:

Bugger :(

You're going to hate me for this but I have just bought a heater valve repair kit from Amazon (USA) for my E24 for around £20 including shipping and import charges. it includes the O-ring, gauze and circlip. It is compatible with the E28, too! Thanks for that handy hint Mr. Tim!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCR2Y0E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon do stock a rather impressive amount of parts for these old cars, it seems. 

Hi Dave. Did you fit this heater valve repair kit. I'm interested to know how well it is performing. The comments on Amazon are a bit of a concern but would be good to get your feedback.

Edited by Inluvwithmy1602

7 hours ago, Inluvwithmy1602 said:

seems to suggest that the cheap after market valves aren't without issues.

Yes, but I also get the impression that some of the people in that topic are a bit cack handed and that assembling the valve in the correct manner would solve many of their woes.

It would be interesting to see what hippie dave has to say.

Morning Guys, 

Apologies for the belated response,

I haven't had a chance to test this out I'm afraid- the valve is destined for my E24 which is currently a restoration project in 101 bits all over the shed! 

Once I get it up and running I will report back. 

Apologies 

Dave