Sign in to follow this  
Yokozuna

3.5d issues

I know it's been covered but I'm being a lazy fecker and can't be arsed searching.

Im considering replacing the trusty E91 2.0d with well a E91 3.5d :lol:  I know it's a 3.0 lump before people go on, I'm just woundering what common issues that engine has and if it's the same unit as the E60/1 and so on and what to look out for regarding turbo failure etc. 

thanks gents

Small turbo will usually go rather than the big one - which is so underworked from the factory you wouldn't believe it. Gearbox is usually OK but again if it's been serviced even better. If there's any clunks or bangs into gears, walk away from it. They are usually pretty reliable though just if they do go wrong (especially turbo side) you'll be laughing then crying to yourself as your bank account empties!

So the gear box is the same as any really? 

What do you mean the small turbo is underworked? 

Also what if the car has been mapped? Does it take it in its stride or do they implode?

56 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

So the gear box is the same as any really? 

What do you mean the small turbo is underworked? 

Also what if the car has been mapped? Does it take it in its stride or do they implode?

Gearbox is the same as any yes. The large turbo is the underworked one, the little one is the one that has the tendency to fail from what I've seen. The big one is massively underrated. They can run a LOT more boost than standard and have no issue at all. Obviously they all wear with mileage though. With regards to a map they all generally take it all in their stride. Servicing is key to them really. The engines are perfectly capable of making big power and torque without any issues.

Put 160k on mine. Vacuum hoses and front pulley were the only failures. It had a hard life as well.

DPF went as week after I sold it.