*jimmyj*

e39 Coding options whats available

Hey Guys,

I've looked but cant find anything. What options are available to coding on the e39's? I guess some of it comes down to the spec of the car. But I would have thought there would be a standard set of options that could be set / changed / coded, but I can't find a list anywhere...... Or does it come down to the software that you are using as to the options available?

When I had Carly for BMW and the necessary cables (before they stopped working, so sent them back for a full refund), I coded in:

• Doors to lock at 2mph
  • Beep on alarm to sound when locking/unlocking
  • Auto windows down on hold of the open button and close on hold of the close button
  • Panic alarm on holding down on the boot open button on the fob

That was about all I could get via Carly. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, it was a PITA for me. Only got it as I don't have access to a Windows laptop for Jimmy's cables etc. But I'd speak to him about coding and see what his software is able to offer you!

He's a sponsor at the top of the home page ;) 

21 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

Hey Guys,

I've looked but cant find anything. What options are available to coding on the e39's? I guess some of it comes down to the spec of the car. But I would have thought there would be a standard set of options that could be set / changed / coded, but I can't find a list anywhere...... Or does it come down to the software that you are using as to the options available?

It's down to a mixture of your software (e.g. NCS Expert can code more than iCarly, however, it is also a lot more involved/complicated) and what modules are fitted to the car. 

From personal experience with NCS expert, I've coded these on my 1999 523i in the past:

• Dimmed indicators with sidelights (USA spec)
  • Doors automatically lock at 16km/h
  • Alarm chirp when locking and/or unlocking
  • Hazards flash when locking and/or unlocking
  • Panic mode (long press boot button on fob)
  • LED taillights (retrofit facelift taillights)
  • Activate/deactivate "Follow me home" lights and the various lights (in my case, front side and fog lights only)
  • Turning off cold checking of various bulbs (useful when fitting LED or HID bulbs)
  • Euro DRL
  • Danish DRL
  • Windows still work for a few minutes after key removed from ignition
  • One touch window switch work while door is opened 

From what I've seen in NCS Expert:

• Angel eyes to flash with indicator
  • Comfort opening/closing
  • Mirrors fold/unfold when locking/unlocking (If equipped with folding mirrors)
  • Doors auto lock after 2mins if no door has been opened
  • Doors auto lock after reaching a certain speed (e.g. 2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, or 17mph)
  • Interior lights soft on/off (factory spec for most euro cars are soft on)
  • Reduce wiper speed when stopped
  • Set the distance of when the PDC starts beeping

There are a lot more coding that can be done :) 

Jimmy I recently bought the Bluetooth Carly adapter and iPhone software to use on the E65 I purchased. It's a great bit of kit and so easy to use for coding and diagnostics. On the basis that I'm likely to always have a Beemer of some sorts most of the time, I thought it was well worth the money - about £100 for the adapter and software.