alex525

What transmissions fit

Just a quick question, my 94 525 has a 5hp18 5 speed auto in it which is slowly dieing, are the gearboxes model specific or will one from another model? All information appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex

There are at least a dozen types of 5HP18 and most are not interchangeable.  I'd expect you to have a 1056000082 but the plate on the side of the box will confirm. If you want plug and play, stick with that type. The plate is obscured  by the exhaust so you might be better trying to read it with a mirror from the passenger side. Is it slipping? Poor gear changes? 

1 minute ago, whiskychaser said:

There are at least a dozen types of 5HP18 and most are not interchangeable.  I'd expect you to have a 1056000082 but the plate on the side of the box will confirm. If you want plug and play, stick with that type. The plate is obscured  by the exhaust so you might be better trying to read it with a mirror from the passenger side. Is it slipping? Poor gear changes? 

I'm surprised that most are not interchangeable tbh. Other than the obvious difference in the bell housing, I (wrongly?) presumed that generally the internals would be similar?! But like I said I'm not sure at all tbh

2 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

I'm surprised that most are not interchangeable tbh. Other than the obvious difference in the bell housing, I (wrongly?) presumed that generally the internals would be similar?! But like I said I'm not sure at all tbh

You might think that but some boxes for the same model will not even plug in. On the plus side, some boxes from the E36 do fit - I put one in my own E34.  Years ago, I asked ZF which boxes would fit which cars but they could not or would not tell me. So I made up my own chart for the E34.

The ZF NA catalogue lists 8 different cases across the 320i, 530i and M3. I can add another 5 to that. There are 16 pin and 14 pin sockets, bayonet and plug in/screw fitting and about half a dozen different TCs.  Hence my suggestion is to swap like for like.

9 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

At the moment it is sticking in first and third gears until it has warmed up, I have been using winter mode which works properly to bypass the issue only because the first trip of the day is only 6kms, so because the 3 series are most common around here was the reasoning behind my question.

Thanks for all the answers most appreciated.

Alex

You may get the same box in the E36 but the issue you have may be solved a lot easier than by changing the box.They are designed to hang onto the gears a bit longer when cold to aid warm up but I'd say you are only talking about another 500rpm.  It may be something as simple as low ATF or the filter needs to be changed. If that doesn't sort it, you might consider having the transmission control module fault codes read, removing/cleaning the valve body or installing a valve body kit.  

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

You may get the same box in the E36 but the issue you have may be solved a lot easier than by changing the box.They are designed to hang onto the gears a bit longer when cold to aid warm up but I'd say you are only talking about another 500rpm.  It may be something as simple as low ATF or the filter needs to be changed. If that doesn't sort it, you might consider having the transmission control module fault codes read, removing/cleaning the valve body or installing a valve body kit.  

Yeah not only 500rpm, it is holding the 1st gear out to 50kph with light accelerator pressure and when it does shift out of 1st it quickly shifts through 2nd and then holds 3rd until it is good and ready to drop into 4th, as much as I would like to avoid it I may have to book it into a trans shop.

Thanks again for the info.

Alex

On 10/31/2017 at 8:29 AM, stevenc3828 said:

Shift points: 

Thanks Steven, just a quick question what does it mean by CL? Please pardon my ignorance but am still learning.

Alex

Converter Lock? IIRC these boxes have lockup on 4th and 5th - but I think @Dongiov is your man on this.

Edited by e60neindanke

this is quite interesting, I've had a problem with the box in mine since I bought it, learnt to drive around the issue!

with mine it will drop out of gear when coasting, coming in with quite a thump if you dont notice and give it a little tickle, and the other problem I get with it is that sometimes you get a thud and seems to be slipping, when it does this it wont change up the gears, moving off from stationary it'll make lots of noise without much forwards engagement.

knocking it into neutral and turning the engine off and back on usually fixes it, but only when moving!

Yeah I had similar symptoms on my old K-reg E36 320i. If you braked heavily, then accelerated hard, you'd get a lot of revs and then a thunk as the gear engaged again. And when cold first thing in the morning, at the corner at the end of the road I'd stop gently and you'd feel loss of drive, wait a few seconds when you felt it come back, and then drive off. I learnt to drive around these issues, and otherwise it shifted and drove perfectly fine. It was like this for a few years actually. Fluid changes did not help. Eventually I scrapped it at 190k+ miles because of rust and some other issues where it just wasn't worth spending to keep it on the road.