Talksr

Purchasing high mileage 1 Series commuter

Hi there,
I currently have a 1.8 TDCI Ford Focus with 120k miles on the clock. It has done me proud with very limited issues and problems, but I know it wont last much longer and it is looking quite tired inside and out.

I do high mileage for work. On average 25-30k each year. There is just no point in me getting a nice low-mileage BMW as I will kill its value with my high mileage commute.

I have been looking at some of the 1 Series models on Autotrader with higher miles on them. Ideally, I was thinking of maybe 80k, but it seems there seem to be more with 100k plus.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look out for other than FSH and lower amount of previous owners?
Some of these models, such as this example are pretty cheap so I could potentially hold some cash back for any belt changes or anything else that may need doing at this higher sort of mileage.
I am not fussed if I get petrol or diesel but would like auto if possible and looking at relatively new ones 2012 onwards. Here is an example:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...dius=40&page=1

Would really appreciate any tips, advice or horror stories 

noisy diffs, but I think later ones are cheaper to fix and less troublesome, other than that the normal engine related stuff which is the same as all the other models of the same age.

they do feel a bit cheaper than the 3's and 5's, haven't driven a friends one yet but been a passenger a few times.

My sister has a 120d on a 55 plate so the older engine which didn’t suffer from timing chain issues, she’s done 160k and had a clutch/fly and 2 injectors - that’s it, she got it on 100k. Hers has pretty much every option and thus the nav has just given up the ghost. The genuine LUK clutch and dm flywheel were under £400 after some haggling at Euros and only took 3 hours on the drive... it’s a good car to work on

19 hours ago, welshpug said:

noisy diffs, but I think later ones are cheaper to fix and less troublesome, other than that the normal engine related stuff which is the same as all the other models of the same age.

they do feel a bit cheaper than the 3's and 5's, haven't driven a friends one yet but been a passenger a few times.

11 hours ago, paperjams said:

My sister has a 120d on a 55 plate so the older engine which didn’t suffer from timing chain issues, she’s done 160k and had a clutch/fly and 2 injectors - that’s it, she got it on 100k. Hers has pretty much every option and thus the nav has just given up the ghost. The genuine LUK clutch and dm flywheel were under £400 after some haggling at Euros and only took 3 hours on the drive... it’s a good car to work on

Thank you both for your replies. That is good to know. Presumably, if it were an auto, I may need to get the box checked as at higher mileage, it could have issues.

welshpug, you're right, the 3s and 5s have a much better finish to them, but they do seem to come in a tad more expensive. And I am assuming, if they have problems, they are going to cost a fair amount. Was hoping that this model may be more simple to work with if there are issues. 

Paperjams, you mentioned about the clutch you had changed, is this the sort of vehicle you could get away with just doing the servicing with BMW so you maintain your FSH but do the jobs yourself or at an independent garage? That is what I have tended to do with my current car. Makes things far cheaper. I wouldn't have a clue on doing clutches etc, but my local village garage have been so reliable and quick, and much cheaper than the dealers.

you can still have fsh without using a dealer,  if its still within warranty it needs to be an iso 9001 approved garage and serviced and repaired with oem parts, but no need to pay dealer labour rates, obviously any recalls and warranty issues would be done by a dealer.

On 26/10/2017 at 7:50 PM, welshpug said:

you can still have fsh without using a dealer,  if its still within warranty it needs to be an iso 9001 approved garage and serviced and repaired with oem parts, but no need to pay dealer labour rates, obviously any recalls and warranty issues would be done by a dealer.

Thanks, that is very good to know. I assumed it would affect the value of the vehicle if you didn't use BMW for the servicing. 

On 10/26/2017 at 7:50 PM, welshpug said:

Wasn't aware of the ISO requirement?