F10 530d

Why don't modern cars require pins/passwords for entry?

36 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Come on, it can't just be me that (out of exhaustion, not even using pissed as an excuse!) has tried to unlock the house with the car fob before then wondered why the door's still locked? :mellow:

Please don't just be me I'm only 25 FFS.

Just you mate!

22 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’ll come clean that’s not actually a pic of my car. In my defence though I do own a 2 door BMW :lol:

:shock: REALLY..... well you had me fooled! Even with the watermark in the bottom right corner!

:rolleyes: 

;) 

Edited by Yokozuna

On 10/25/2017 at 10:24 PM, Yokozuna said:

Yeah it's just you! ;) 

have you ever tried to open your car with your house key.....

:lol: 

I do this most days.

I also, always, get my works ID card out in preparation to swipe open the door to my lab, which has one of those mechanical punch-button locks on it. No idea why.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:22 AM, TomGC said:

I do this most days.

I also, always, get my works ID card out in preparation to swipe open the door to my lab, which has one of those mechanical punch-button locks on it. No idea why.

IIRC you can punch your code in in any combination as long as you hit the right buttons on those. Maybe the last digit has to be in the correct place? It's a while since I read that.

38 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

IIRC you can punch your code in in any combination as long as you hit the right buttons on those. Maybe the last digit has to be in the correct place? It's a while since I read that.

You recall correct. The cancel button should be pressed first in case of errant entries made by ne’er-do-wells. In fact, you can press two, more, or indeed all buttons simultaneously. I have tested all the theories. Toyed with the idea of making a tool up. 

On 24/10/2017 at 11:44 PM, duncan-uk said:

On the e28 you could set a 4 digit pin. Easy to over come in hind sight but ahead of its time 8)

And the e34 and e39

A mates dad used to put a square piece of plywood on the drivers seat every night with a load of 3" nails poking up and with a thin cushion on top.

Nobody put it to the test unfortunately.