alex525

Start up

Never had this problem before I had trouble starting the engine after I had moved it about 20 feet then turned the engine off, went to start it again and it was if the engine had flooded, is this a common problem? after I got it running and drove it for about 6kms turned it off and when I started it again it was like the problem was never there.Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Thanks, I'll have to remember to let it run for a bit after starting it just lucky this time, new battery.

You can get round this by shutting the engine down from a fast idle. Hang 2-3krpm off it for a couple of seconds, hold the throttle steady and key off, shut the throttle after the engine has stopped. Higher engine speed stops it running rich as it will at cold idle, more airflow pulls the extra fuel through the engine before it stops.

The problem is most likely due to fuel condensing on the cold walls of the inlet manifold and never actually getting to the cylinders. On restart it's far too rich / wet to ignite the mixture from a spark.

Having been bitten twice with my M50, one of those times having had to get it taken to the BMW dealer on the back of a truck,  I used a similar technique:  revved it up to 2k or 3k rpm and holding for a minute or so , then letting your foot off the throttle and switching the engine off immediately it slowed down close to idle.

Just popped in toa sk about what may be the issue with my M50 not starting, and it seems like this might be it.

Any ideas how to get it going again if its flooded?

Last night I had to move the car about 5 metres and shut it off, went out this morning and it wouldn't start at all - it was cranking but not even close to firing.

I recorded a quick video to let you hear the sound, as it sounds different from anything I've heard before - I'll link to it when I get time.

From memory, put the accelerator to the floor and leave it there, and crank it continuously until it starts. It may take a while, and your battery had better be in good shape !.

Edited by Tuvoc

11 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

From memory, put the accelerator to the floor and leave it there, and crank it continuously until it starts. It may take a while, and your battery had better be in good shape !.

It is totally alien but I have done this with gritted teeth. If it sounds like a dumper truck coming to life, you are in with a chance of it firing up. If it just wheezes, I prescribe removing the plugs and spinning the engine to vent it. Then a teaspoon of oil down the plug holes and new plugs.

PS If you think they solved this by the time they made the M54, they didn't

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

This is what I did and that was how I got it going, and yes you do need a good battery as it did take quite a while to start.

11 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

PS If you think they solved this by the time they made the M54, they didn't

I've never had this issue with the M54 in 4 years of ownership. But I guess I'm wise to it having had an M50 previously !

Edited by Tuvoc

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I've never had this issue with the M54 in 4 years of ownership. But I guess I'm wise to it having had an M50 previously !

Owned mine for about the same length of time and never had it either. But my wife has an M54 too...:(

Thanks guys, you were right - flooded!

Cranked it for ages, not really a fan of that but just as I was about to stop I noticed the sound sort of change so kept at it - foot to the floor as suggested - slowly but surely it began to splutter and try to fire, eventually it did!

I'll know for next time, no short cold runs!

A long time ago I did this (he said sheepishly)... A tech visited and - I think - pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and then inserted a dummy fuse with a push button on it. He then cranked the engine and after a few seconds pushed the button and it burst into life.

He called it "Sunday morning car wash syndrome" - people start the cars and run them for a few seconds and he said that the two most likely culprits were (a) anyone with an M50-engined BMW and especially (b) anyone with a Mazda RX-8.