Marc_86

525d turbo vs 530d turbo

Hi all,

My current turbo if currently working fine...but i think it may be the original and im just over 150k on it now...plus i had it remapped 2 months ago.

Its now now putting out 205bhp and 340 ft/lbs.

So it may well go in the near future.

I'm wondering if my turbo ever dies...what my replacement options are.

Part number for the 525d is 11657781435 and the 530d is 11652248906.

Would there be any benefit at all by upgrading to the 530d turbo? What gains if any would i expect? Im assuming this would literally be a straight swap.

Second, ive read lots of threads about the e60 gt2260 turbo bolting on - but this included new fmic, modded boost pipe, oil return and remap etc.

If i ever opted for the 2260 turbo, as im already remapped, decatted etc...would i need the remap adjusted to suite the new turbo? Or could i plod along with a bit more power?

Many Thanks in advance.

Edited by Marc_86
cant spell

On 20/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, Marc_86 said:

Not many on the dark side that can help?

Marc,

if you think about it, the 530 turbo is designed to deliver enough air to give correct combustion to 500 cc more capacity, so if you bang in the same volume of air (or try to) into a smaller capacity cylinder, then you will need more fuel, so would the current injectors be capable of being able to supply the extra fuel or would you need to change them as well?

Food for thought?

41 minutes ago, FIBAMAN said:

Marc,

if you think about it, the 530 turbo is designed to deliver enough air to give correct combustion to 500 cc more capacity, so if you bang in the same volume of air (or try to) into a smaller capacity cylinder, then you will need more fuel, so would the current injectors be capable of being able to supply the extra fuel or would you need to change them as well?

Food for thought?

Thanks for the reply...definately food for thought re the injectors. Wouldn't have thought they would have come into the query? As the 530d injectors can still cope fine with the 2260 turbo which is a bit bigger than the 530d turbo?

Thanks 

Hi all,

Sorry for the thread revival but saved starting a new one.

As of this morning my turbo has started to make a constant very subtle/quiet whine when accelerating so im worried it will go pop sooner rather than later.

So as per my initial questions - would chucking in a new e39 530d turbo be better than the e39 525d turbo. Im assuming no faffing required regarding fitment.

Would there be any benefits in going from the smaller 525d turbo to the slighlty bigger 530d turbo?

Or would it be pretty much the same?

Thanks again in advance.

My 525d's turbo whistled for nearly 200k miles, and was still making the noise when I "retired" it at 296k miles.

So it doesn't always follow that a whistle is terminal. Good luck with yours.

23 minutes ago, V8Steve said:

My 525d's turbo whistled for nearly 200k miles, and was still making the noise when I "retired" it at 296k miles.

So it doesn't always follow that a whistle is terminal. Good luck with yours.

Cheers for that.

Yes its always had a slight whistle, ever more so with the decat fitted.

Just seems to be doing it a little more than it used to when at low speed/rpm's.

4 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Cheers for that.

Yes its always had a slight whistle, ever more so with the decat fitted.

Just seems to be doing it a little more than it used to when at low speed/rpm's.

my turbo never whistled at all.

It failed instantly without warning at around 145k

The new turbo whistled when cold start then disappeared on warm up

Had my 525d mapped almost 3 years ago it’s done nearly 170k and all is well, I check oil quarterly n usually needs a top up after 6 months.. some things aren’t worth worrying about, if it ain’t broke don’t try n fix it. 

2 hours ago, TerryTibbs said:

Had my 525d mapped almost 3 years ago it’s done nearly 170k and all is well, I check oil quarterly n usually needs a top up after 6 months.. some things aren’t worth worrying about, if it ain’t broke don’t try n fix it. 

My thoughts exactly.

Just like to prepare for when things go wrong. Then when they do i know everything to start buying and cracking on.