Piper

Little addition to the family - E36 316i Compact

Bought this for my son, 316i Compact, 44k miles, had full service history up to 33k in 2016, no rust. Seems to have been one of those garaged OAP cars that gets money thrown at it but hardly does any miles. Someone else bought it at 35k and ratted around in it. I will love it and give it the respect it deserves.

Corners of bumpers a bit tatty, pov spec, but at £300 I wasn't complaining. Price was due to it needing a new window regulator and it has a short mot. 

Love the E36. My son has been through two Rover 25s both died due to head gasket failure. Bag of crap engines, the second one only had 70k on the clock as well.

20171015_130544.jpg

20171015_130553.jpg

20171015_130605.jpg

20171015_130611.jpg

8 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

WOW Bargain! Only 44k miles and you paid 300 quid?! Seriously that's a steal. Just out of curiosity where did you find that one if you don't mind me asking?!

Good ol' Gumtree 

It's funny how the least desirable models can engender such respect and affection 20 years on. There's something wonderfully honest about a poverty-spec minter. Especially when it's had for SFA.

Edited by amauvis

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Worth £300 all year, very tidy.  Great find.

Quite sad that a once new car worth many thousands can only change hands for a few hundred pounds.

Not sad at all :lol:

57 minutes ago, The Flying Banana said:

what age is he ...my son has one ..was insured as his learner car but once he passed it was ridiculous money to insure so it's garaged now ...great cars I think ...I think they will go up in price you know 

25. Yep Insurance is something like £1500

Brilliant for £300!

The R25 K series engines are only crap if they've not been 'fixed' etc

Had a few of them and they were all fine, once the MLS gasket was fitted and the cooling system refurbished etc

Agree though, from the off, they really cocked up (although Lotus seemed to have got the best version of that engine as theirs rarely failed)!

On 16/10/2017 at 10:00 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Worth £300 all year, very tidy.  Great find.

Quite sad that a once new car worth many thousands can only change hands for a few hundred pounds.

Only in the UK.

On 19/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Brilliant for £300!

The R25 K series engines are only crap if they've not been 'fixed' etc

Had a few of them and they were all fine, once the MLS gasket was fitted and the cooling system refurbished etc

Agree though, from the off, they really cocked up (although Lotus seemed to have got the best version of that engine as theirs rarely failed)!

They are crap full stop. The fact that a head gasket needs fixed on a car due to poor quality or design says it all. 

On 15/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, Piper said:

Bought this for my son, 316i Compact, 44k miles, had full service history up to 33k in 2016, no rust. Seems to have been one of those garaged OAP cars that gets money thrown at it but hardly does any miles. Someone else bought it at 35k and ratted around in it. I will love it and give it the respect it deserves.

Corners of bumpers a bit tatty, pov spec, but at £300 I wasn't complaining. Price was due to it needing a new window regulator and it has a short mot. 

Love the E36. My son has been through two Rover 25s both died due to head gasket failure. Bag of crap engines, the second one only had 70k on the clock as well.

20171015_130544.jpg

20171015_130553.jpg

20171015_130605.jpg

20171015_130611.jpg

Lovely. A refreshing change to see a young driving something interesting. I know a young lad that bought a Merc 190e as his 1st car.