*jimmyj*

My 1st E39 wooohoooo

So, where do I start. Going back about 5 years ago I decided to get grid of my French hot hatch, RenaultSport Megane 225. Good car but being french it had its problems. Not many, good car, fast-ish, but enjoyed it while i had it. But wanted something different. So decided to try out what German cars where like. So ended up getting a really nice 03 BMW Z4. It was the 3ltr engine so was silky smooth, loved every minute having that car, everything about it was good. But needed to get rid of it as I was expecting (well not me, the Mrs). She bugged me for a long time while I tried to keep hold of it until it was absolutley necessary I needed to start doing the nursery runs :( I had always like the 5 series but didn't think the time was right to buy one right after the Z4, not sure why.

So then came my next car, Saab Aero 93 2.8T v6. Car was bought from an older gentelman over in hudderfields. The Saab was odd. Fast car, big, felt safe, but was missing something. It was an auto whch was my first automatic car, was alright at the begin, then I started to hate the way the gearbox operated.

Long story short I had that for about 3 and a half years when i needed to jump back into a straight 6 BM. Z4 was off the cards :( so I quickly remembered I always liked the e39's. So the hunt started. eBay, autotrader, local garages, etc etc. Then completly forgot that I had previously signed up to this forum.

Some of you may have seen my posts on the forum looking for advice on buying a e39. One came up down south, I was looking for 530d's but someone kinda talked me out of it, you know who you are :) Then, the penny finally dropped for me when I realised that I'll then be able to experience that amazing engine again.

Got in touch with hairyarse as i saw his post, we exchanged numbers, talked and be before i knew it was catching a train down south to buy the car. As soon as i saw it i knew i wanted it, but tried to play it cool. An hour or so later it was mime!

Really happy with it, power delivery is completly different from the saab. Not as fast but a better car and drive. Got a few plans for it. Mainly just trying to keep it in the good condition its in. Some small issues not show stoppers, but would be good to get them sorted;

1/. Lower edge of bonnet needs redoing. Not rusty just needs touching up.
2/. Buy a code reader to read faults and code options.
2/. Sort parking sensors out. (hairyarse gave me the sensor) just need to buy the pdc module.
3/. Sort the engine management light out, which is to do with the fuel evaporating vavle (hairyarse gave me the sensor)
4/. update the speakers, front one blowing slightly and way to under powered for me.
5/. Refurb the wheels.

Going to try and keep a blog / project about the car like hairyarse did. You can see the previous history of it below

so thats it really, oh and enjoy car!

IMG_20171009_180009.thumb.jpg.69813a48ae7e74ef6a5c67e37385dabd.jpg

So I've had the car a week, (still cant believe ive got a nice e39 ) and I'm trying to take things slow.   I found myself with 30 minutes free while I had the lillte one, so thought I'll try and sort out the parking sensors. Hairyarse gave me one so thought I'll try and fit it. Job was straight forward, black trim at front off, sensor out new one in. Job done. Did notice that the rear left sensor is not working although it does click. Confirmed this by placing the sensor in another another slot to see if the problem moved with the sensor, which it did. So gonna pick one up off eBay this week.

2 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

So I've had the car a week, (still cant believe ive got a nice e39 ) and I'm trying to take things slow.   I found myself with 30 minutes free while I had the lillte one, so thought I'll try and sort out the parking sensors. Hairyarse gave me one so thought I'll try and fit it. Job was straight forward, black trim at front off, sensor out new one in. Job done. Did notice that the rear left sensor is not working although it does click. Confirmed this by placing the sensor in another another slot to see if the problem moved with the sensor, which it did. So gonna pick one up off eBay this week.

Get those I sent you links for, they've e been faultless for me and at a great price. 

If you can, get all new ones... Sods law that another will go soon enough! 

15 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Get those I sent you links for, they've e been faultless for me and at a great price. 

If you can, get all new ones... Sods law that another will go soon enough! 

yeah thats not a bad shout dan!