*jimmyj*

My 1st E39 wooohoooo

So, where do I start. Going back about 5 years ago I decided to get grid of my French hot hatch, RenaultSport Megane 225. Good car but being french it had its problems. Not many, good car, fast-ish, but enjoyed it while i had it. But wanted something different. So decided to try out what German cars where like. So ended up getting a really nice 03 BMW Z4. It was the 3ltr engine so was silky smooth, loved every minute having that car, everything about it was good. But needed to get rid of it as I was expecting (well not me, the Mrs). She bugged me for a long time while I tried to keep hold of it until it was absolutley necessary I needed to start doing the nursery runs :( I had always like the 5 series but didn't think the time was right to buy one right after the Z4, not sure why.

So then came my next car, Saab Aero 93 2.8T v6. Car was bought from an older gentelman over in hudderfields. The Saab was odd. Fast car, big, felt safe, but was missing something. It was an auto whch was my first automatic car, was alright at the begin, then I started to hate the way the gearbox operated.

Long story short I had that for about 3 and a half years when i needed to jump back into a straight 6 BM. Z4 was off the cards :( so I quickly remembered I always liked the e39's. So the hunt started. eBay, autotrader, local garages, etc etc. Then completly forgot that I had previously signed up to this forum.

Some of you may have seen my posts on the forum looking for advice on buying a e39. One came up down south, I was looking for 530d's but someone kinda talked me out of it, you know who you are :) Then, the penny finally dropped for me when I realised that I'll then be able to experience that amazing engine again.

Got in touch with hairyarse as i saw his post, we exchanged numbers, talked and be before i knew it was catching a train down south to buy the car. As soon as i saw it i knew i wanted it, but tried to play it cool. An hour or so later it was mime!

Really happy with it, power delivery is completly different from the saab. Not as fast but a better car and drive. Got a few plans for it. Mainly just trying to keep it in the good condition its in. Some small issues not show stoppers, but would be good to get them sorted;

1/. Lower edge of bonnet needs redoing. Not rusty just needs touching up.
2/. Buy a code reader to read faults and code options.
2/. Sort parking sensors out. (hairyarse gave me the sensor) just need to buy the pdc module.
3/. Sort the engine management light out, which is to do with the fuel evaporating vavle (hairyarse gave me the sensor)
4/. update the speakers, front one blowing slightly and way to under powered for me.
5/. Refurb the wheels.

Going to try and keep a blog / project about the car like hairyarse did. You can see the previous history of it below

so thats it really, oh and enjoy car!

IMG_20171009_180009.thumb.jpg.69813a48ae7e74ef6a5c67e37385dabd.jpg

So I've had the car a week, (still cant believe ive got a nice e39 ) and I'm trying to take things slow.   I found myself with 30 minutes free while I had the lillte one, so thought I'll try and sort out the parking sensors. Hairyarse gave me one so thought I'll try and fit it. Job was straight forward, black trim at front off, sensor out new one in. Job done. Did notice that the rear left sensor is not working although it does click. Confirmed this by placing the sensor in another another slot to see if the problem moved with the sensor, which it did. So gonna pick one up off eBay this week.

2 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

So I've had the car a week, (still cant believe ive got a nice e39 ) and I'm trying to take things slow.   I found myself with 30 minutes free while I had the lillte one, so thought I'll try and sort out the parking sensors. Hairyarse gave me one so thought I'll try and fit it. Job was straight forward, black trim at front off, sensor out new one in. Job done. Did notice that the rear left sensor is not working although it does click. Confirmed this by placing the sensor in another another slot to see if the problem moved with the sensor, which it did. So gonna pick one up off eBay this week.

Get those I sent you links for, they've e been faultless for me and at a great price. 

If you can, get all new ones... Sods law that another will go soon enough! 

15 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Get those I sent you links for, they've e been faultless for me and at a great price. 

If you can, get all new ones... Sods law that another will go soon enough! 

yeah thats not a bad shout dan!

So its been a few weeks, and the car seems great so far, one or two small issues which I want to get sorted. Been eyeing up a mobile wheel refurb company to sort out the kerbed wheels ( cheers @Hairarsy :P). Been looking at a company called kiwicolours http://www.kiwicolour.co.uk

to see if they can restore the wheels back to a perfect state. Going to give them a call in the morning. Not sure on colour, might just keep it standard or maybe with a nice polished lip, also going to see if they can sort out the bonnet, (lower left) which needs pulling back and respraying. It's a minor issue but I would like it sorted.

Gonna try and get her booked n for a service as well in a few weeks.

Also noticed that the boot doesn't catch shut anymore. Also reports as bootlid open. Something has come loose inside the boot mechanism, anyone come up against this before? pictures below show the parts, think the spring goes inside that "thing" somehow. Is it easier to just buy a new part of fleaBay? Common issue?

Boot stays shut and doesn't fly open but for obviously reason would like it sorted. Any Ideas.....

IMG-20171030-WA0006.thumb.jpg.6cdf8f6b19160ea1bb4e575289da8d95.jpg

Capture.PNG.392095e7cf76f928520777ca5cbd2a50.PNG

Edited by *jimmyj*

Hi Jimmy,

Nice to see you enjoying the car and going around for the niggly bits to resolve ! 

Assuming the car has oem 18 inch Style 37 M Parallels on, here's some pictures you might like;

E39%20M%20Parallel%20Polished%20lip%201_

E39%20M%20Parallel%20Polished%20lip%20No

Those have been refinished and worked on so that they have a hand polished lip and coloured centre by either paint or powdercoat. OEM Style 37's are made by forged aluminium so very high quality metal and when polished up like this, looks fantastic! The issue is that not many places in the UK offer good quality wheel lip polishing like this. The company you link to, speak to them as planned and ask them if they do 'hand polishing of alloy wheels' and if they do, get a quote for them to do it given the time it takes to do well and nicely! If you do find you want this kind of finish and not many places saying they'll do it, drop me a PM as I may know a couple places.

I'm slowly working through the niggles on my car, both small and larger ones!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hey Dennis thanks for the heads up! Those wheels do look sexy as.......... Currently trying to look throught the forum for ideas on wheel finishesetc. But the polish lip is top of my list.

Also trying to check out ebay for a replacement boot catch / lock, As mine isn't locking at the moment :(

Been looking about and its seems the locking issue could be to do with the actuator. The top of it that goes in and out seems very loose and that spring seems to have appeared underneath the plastic housing so I suspect its fallen out / come loose from something causing it not to lock.

Any ideas???

Hi Jimmy, only just found your thread! Did you get the boot sorted ok?

Oh and not guilty on the wheel front! lol :-D They do look good with polished rims. A couple of mates of mine have had them, but they do take a lot of looking after to keep them looking spangly! 

So it's been nearly a year since I've updated this thread. Going to make more of an effort of posting here as I said I would. Since getting the car from @hairyarse the car has been great. Just love the E39. Guess it's been good as I got the car in a pretty decent state which always helps. 

Things which I've had to address have been; the parking sensors which are still playing up. Believe its the rear ones which I need to replace, I'll do my testing to see, I have a eBay link of a seller where I bought them from - can't remember who from this forum gave me the heads up, I wanna say d_a_n but could be wrong.

Shortly after I got the car I started out with tackling the parking sensors, as they are on the blink. Replaced the rear left, which improved things but I think I need to replace the lot of them. So thats one my list, but not high up. Weekend job when I need a break from the Mrs :)

30/01/2018:- she went in for a service, front brake pads with sensor, and to sort out the boot clip catch that had broken one day. When @hairyarse sold me the car he hadn't got round to fitting the tank ventilation solenoid which he left in the boot for me, so that was fitted at the same as it was throwing an eml,  faults cleared, and she was back on the road.

Early in the summer the car started to throw an eml light, hunting pretty bad when sat in traffic. Gave it to my garage, where it turned out that the breather section near the dip stick was blocked and corrodied, so that needed replacing.

27/06/2018:- CCV (Crank Case Ventilation) kit fitted. Along with spark plugs, and dipstick tube.

05/10/2018:- Few months later, i completely forgot my mot was not renewed, only realised when my tax was due. So it was panic stations to get her booked in and all road legal. Turned out that it needed a couple of things for her to pass:-
OS rear lower hub rose bush.
NSF link.
OSF link.
Brake pipes.

These where sorted, and she was back one the road. 

16/10/2018:- Couple weeks I realised that I was topping up my coolent more often that I should be. Turned out that i had a split within my top radiator hose so that was sorted.

Current state of the car is, she's very dirty, but running like a dream, need to order some new cleaning products as I'm all out. Some rear tires in the coming months, and a service as there are 3 bars left. 

Still on the hunt for someone to be able to refurb my wheels with a polished lip, but thinking of doing this after the winter if I can find the person to do it. There is a bit of rust on the front bonnet, and some bubbling on one one of the rear arches which I need to address but again maybe after the winter.

Edited by *jimmyj*

Jimmy - did you, or a previous owner, remove the 'T bar' within the front air dam? 

4 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Jimmy - did you, or a previous owner, remove the 'T bar' within the front air dam? 

Hi Keith, it was like this when I bought the car, so unsure when/how it was done. Two owners before me, it looked like this; (He saw me on Facebook and sent me some photos!)

Jimmy - nice to see the update, glad you're still enjoying her. (I do miss her to be fair!!) Polished lips do look good on the parallels, but you'll be forever polishing them to look good. I'd think twice if you drive her often! lol

IMG_0019.jpg