Darkbmwlord

GEM3 and central locking

In looking to try and fix the non working remote central locking, I've seen reference to the GEM unit behind the glovebox.

One post (which I can't find now) said that just unplugging the unit and reconnecting it sorted the problem. 

Since everything else electrical works on the car, will I loose anything if I try that? And do I remove both plugs? 

I'd like the remote and alarm to work if possible.

Many thanks.:)

Have you tried charging the key? A few hours on an electric toothbrush chargers usually charge the battery’s enough to work, or the gm3 might be on its way out, you could disconnect the battery as that’ll be similar to unplugging the unit as it’ll cut the power etc, or you could try the key programming procedure if it’s lost it’s coding etc the sequence is available in the search function, I can’t remember it off the top of my head but it’s pressing buttons on key after ignition had been on pos 2 

Mine is the earlier non charge key. Batteries have been replaced.

Nothing happens when I try re synchronising the key - the doors locks don't operate.

The little red led in the fob operates. 

I've seen a reference to the wiring to the bootlid, which looks as if it's already been taped up, so I'll inspect that.

It's really the alarm I want back in action.

My central locking packed up via the remote (worked fine with key in the door). It turned out to be a couple of wires in the  rubber boot housing thing had cracked. Yet another problem I didn’t expect for some reason...

1 hour ago, BarryM said:

My central locking packed up via the remote (worked fine with key in the door). It turned out to be a couple of wires in the  rubber boot housing thing had cracked. Yet another problem I didn’t expect for some reason...

Hmmm, definitely something to try when the rain stops...