hadyn68

Brake pad replacement

I need to replace the pads on the front and not having done this on a car with sensors before do the sensors need replacing as well or not. I have seen sensor wires on ebay and wondered if I need them.

3 hours ago, hadyn68 said:

I need to replace the pads on the front and not having done this on a car with sensors before do the sensors need replacing as well or not. I have seen sensor wires on ebay and wondered if I need them.

Sensors should be ok, so long as they're not massively worn down. You can reset the warning if the car does think the pads need changing. 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:05 PM, dj1233 said:

Sensors should be ok, so long as they're not massively worn down. You can reset the warning if the car does think the pads need changing. 

If you can't reset the idrive, you know you need a new sensor. Although even with a new sensor it still took half a dozen attempts when I changed pads and discs on my E60 for the system to recognise the new sensor and reset itself.

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If you can't reset the idrive, you know you need a new sensor. Although even with a new sensor it still took half a dozen attempts when I changed pads and discs on my E60 for the system to recognise the new sensor and reset itself.

Yeah, temperamental isn't the word - almost as if there is a conflict between the CBS and iDrive settings and the sensor when it comes to the brakes :huh:

Edited by Dotcom1970

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

absolutely! the timing to get it right is a PITA.