dee121

Angel eyes bulb replacement

BMW 520d 2008 177bhp

Hi,, I have purchased bulb replacement for my DRLs Angel eyes.  My Angel eye bulb is the small 10W bulb about an inch long. But the replacement bulb is the far longer LED bulb.  I tried putting the new bulb in and it was as if it was hitting something inside the Halo Rings.  Have I got to fit a certain type of bulb that is shorter, not such a long nose on it???

These new bulbs look really bright and I would like to fit them, do I need to change the whole light unit si I can fit these longer bulbs.

Anyone any ideas???

Thanks Des

The Angel Eye bulb for my car is a small inch long 10W baton type Halogen bulb.

It cost £5 from Europarts.

My main question was can I fit the longer nosed LED bulbs???  I tried to fit one and it was as if I was hitting the halo ring about an inch in.

Is there different types of Halo Rings for different cars???

Hi

I looked at that link you put up and would seem that our Angel eyes are known as LCI bulbs. They are the short stem bulbs. That is why I couldn't get the long stem bulb fitted the other day.

Check out the link below and verify that it is this type of bulb I would need 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-20W-No-Error-LED-Angel-Eyes-Halo-Ring-Light-Bulb-For-BMW-5-Series-E60-E61-LCI-/162571975755?

Thanks

Yes they should be the ones as they specify for the halogen set up.

Just to make you aware - you won’t get the very bright DRL style you get on the newer cars with these type of bulbs.

At night they look decent but just don’t be expecting them to been seen much at daytime.

As mentioned Baus designer and manufactured his own version which addressed the whole brightness in daytime issue and seems has been successful, think he selling pairs for £200.

OK thanks for that.

How are you regarding the dipped beam headlights???

The headlight beam is terrible. That actual lens of the headlight is like a smoke glass effect and the light from the bulb finds it difficult to give out a very bright beam.

Do you have any suggestions for getting the dipped beam to shine brighter???

Thanks

Des

20W bulbs so should be a fair bit brighter No???

No not really i went from 20W to 40W and couldn't tell any difference, the problems with LCI halogen projector headlamps is the fibre optic line that carries the angle eye light is the limiting factor, i even managed to make up a 80w led as a test and it was still no brighter

Ok Misterbish

It sounds as if BMW boobed when they opted for this design. Which is very unusual for BMW.

Would you recommend a complete headlight change???

It seems that is the only way you will get bright Angel Eyes.

And what would you recommend regarding the dipped beam bulbs??? They are terrible on my car

Because you have a halogen set up you cannot just change the bulb and have it look like the Xenon set up - again this is like the bright bluish piercing dipped beam in many newer models.

In order for you to get that ‘look’ properly you would need to install a HID kit which in essence is you taking out your whole current set up and replacing with the Xenon set up.

I don’t think it’s mega expensive tbh.

Me personally I just replaced the bulbs with 6500k bright bulb which gives a bluish light and looks decent compared to the stock dull yellow brightness.

I have to add - by installing the HID kit you still won’t solve the angel eye problem of getting it piercingly bright at daytime.

Again - currently as far as I’m aware Baus managed to do this himself as no official supplier has invested the time to do this.