Tobyio

E39 M5 Individual

22 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

Price isn't too ludicrous provided everything stacks up.

Is that because of the spec and low miles iyo?  if i ever paid 26k for an e39 m5 id like to think it wouldn't have rust or stone chips. 

6 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

There are probably less than 7 E39 M5s left in the UK with less than 60k. If I didn't already have an E39 M5 with FBMWSH and warranty, I'd consider it.

obv i don't know but id imagine there are loads of m5's under 60k that are tucked up in peoples car collections from the last 6-7 years. 4 star/ ML / hexagon and the likes must have sold 30+ in last 6/7 years of low mileage examples

There really aren't many. Hexagon have had a couple of low mileage ones (less than 20k) for sale since Noah built the Ark for £45k odd from memory.

General rule of thumb is that for the same mileage, an E39 M5 is now worth more than an E60 M5. Therefore a sub 60k E39 M5 is probably worth £20k-something, probably £23k in this instance.

I live in cornwall and im tempted by this also as its on my doorstep just the black on black is a little boring to me,  at £31k if not driven more than 1k a year,  could this be  worth double in 10 years??    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-5-series-e60-e61-m5-touring-5l-v10-2008/1623936

I would want the rust sorting on the front arch, and also for that price the coolant bottle should be nice and new ....

But the concern with that M5 is the condition of the underneath ... 

55 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

There really aren't many. Hexagon have had a couple of low mileage ones (less than 20k) for sale since Noah built the Ark for £45k odd from memory.

General rule of thumb is that for the same mileage, an E39 M5 is now worth more than an E60 M5. Therefore a sub 60k E39 M5 is probably worth £20k-something, probably £23k in this instance.

I did see the 45k Hexagon one, didn't buy it but it did sell a couple of weeks later.

Hi,

The 4 star classics example - That Scarab Green is nice if you like those kinds of paint colours, on the E39 M5 in the UK it wasn't really liked much at all from new as there's only 4 of them! I also had a good look at the pictures and what immediately jumped out to me was what looks like a mildly misaligned front bumper but a very badly misaligned rear one! The offside front sill area does indeed look as though it's got rust there as well. At £26K asking price, I'd expect and demand perfection. 

The Hexagon example, as already pointed out, it's got a non oem / cheap chinese  audio system in it and is described as Professional Navigation with TV function. Also, with pre-facelift black dials (which I actually prefer over the grey ones) and a pre-facelift steering wheel, it looks more like a pre-facelift build date example which has had the later front and rear light clusters/headlamps fitted at some point. I'd say that's a not an oem M5 gearknob and gaiter as they were a single piece of leather and this one looks like a separate knob and gaiter piece. These aspects point to a car that's not 100% OEM, which it needs to be at that inflated £40K!  Under the rear number plate to the right side, that 'dint' in the metal shouldn't be there and looking just under the rear lamp cluster, is that another small 'dent' also a slightly misaligned offside under headlamp trim piece?..  In real life, a good look under the car would perhaps reveal some more blemishes which shouldn't be there at all at the asking price. 

Tobiyo - Will that E61 be double the price in 10 years? ..  possibly, probably asked for as well. The real question is what will it actually 'sell' for ! I doubt it'd be sold anywhere near £60k in a decades time (too many factors pointing to much lower selling prices in 5,10, 15+ years time), still, I guess it gives the dreamers something to dream about ! If you are in the market for an E39 M5 (pretty much any other sought after car too) then expand your search to the whole of the UK and go see as many as you possibly can, it's the best chance you'll have of finding one that is in or at the level of condition comfortable to you and at the right price level. 

Inkiboo - I'd also say there's most likely a significant number of E39 M5's with less than 60k Miles and in excellent/approaching pristine condition. I'm not saying there's 'lots' or perhaps more than '100 of them' but definitely more than '7' !  I know of an example that's stored in a very nice and cosy large garage, facelift and at 45K miles for instance. I do have a 'chance' of having it only 'if' and it's a very big 'IF' the owner ever decides to sell it !! that garage has other cars in there as well which he's in zero hurry to sell! 

Cheers, Dennis!

Great response Dennis thanks, I had a look of the photos and couldn’t see the mis alignment on the bumpers but I’m sure you have more of an eagle eye than me. I did see a few big stone chips though!  I’m interested that you say to many factors point to a much lower selling price, my thought is that for high quality experience driver cars the factors are pointing higher if anything, due to electric and self drive cars becoming the norm making v8 manual cars ultimate toys. What’s the factors you see in lower prices? Also fwiw it does annoy me in this country that values are based on miles over the condition and maintenance.

On the E61, I don’t see it holding its value. Only 222 were sold in RHD which also suggests there was very little demand. It’s a great car though so buy it with that in mind and if it appreciates then that’s a bonus. 

Calipers and discs look in poor condition too. Mis-matched front/rear tyres (Goodyear/Conti's), rusty arch liner fixings, surface rust on bottom of NSF sill, kerb mark on NSR wheel... The list goes on!

C.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:59 AM, Tobyio said:

I’m interested that you say to many factors point to a much lower selling price, my thought is that for high quality experience driver cars the factors are pointing higher if anything, due to electric and self drive cars becoming the norm making v8 manual cars ultimate toys. What’s the factors you see in lower prices? Also fwiw it does annoy me in this country that values are based on miles over the condition and maintenance.

Hi Tobiyo,

The factors are people's disposable income being squeezed and likely to be like that for the next 2,5, 10 + years given the Mess that is Brexit. People's job's and businesses will be more at risk and thus confidence will reduce. Currently, it looks like the 'direction' is a hard Brexit and the harsher realities are beginning to become more apparent. Investment in the UK is slowing down, the weaker pound hasn't resulted in a bigger exporting boom (it's been relatively decent but nothing to write home about). The banks are seemingly soon to announce interest rates are to rise and also, tighter lending criteria will become more prevalent, so the availability of cheap credit will be curtailed. Recently, Diesel has become more demonized and my theory is that over the next few years, aspects like Diesel taxation at the fuel pumps will increase, vehicle excise duty will rise significantly, cost of the MOT for them will rise along with any Diesel specific parts with extra tax added. Lastly, insurance companies will increase their rates for cover. These kinds of measures will coerce the public into leaving Diesel. Whilst that begins and gains momentum, Petrol driven cars will be next with all of those same aspects...  Given it'll take some years to fully implement, there'll be a dwindling market of 'enthusiast' potential buyers willing to purchase V8's and high performance variants of mass produced cars  i.e BMW M's, Merc AMG's, Audi RS's. Those enthusiast potential buyers who do have very deep pockets will continue to sell/buy fantastic, OEM spec, very low miled (relatively) sought after spec/colour cars but the majority of those buyers I think would want a Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin 'level' car if they're to spend £30,40,50+ grand. The majority of UK spec, M car's (and Merc's/Audi's) are not like these spec and condition wise and thus I'd suggest in 5,10,15+ years time, they'll have high asking prices and will sit around for a long time unsold. 

I know plenty will disagree with the above, which is fine of course. The UK as a whole may find it gets excellent trade deals signed and businesses in those other countries will want to take advantage and trade more with UK based businesses and also, the UK will discover one or more highly lucrative, high profit industries that'll bring in a lot of money via foreign investments as well as exporting them at the same time along with other sought after UK exports too. If that happens, the country will collectively make a massive sigh of relief! ..   and £40K E39 M5's will be the norm....

Inkiboo - 'plucking a number out' like that is just a guess, unless you know and have seen all or the vast majority of E39 M5's around the UK? right off the top of my head, there was that purple example with lots of evolve mods at like 58K a few months ago, the example I know of tucked away, this scarab green one mentioned here, the hexagon classics one also at 58K, forum member Zarnd's example a few years back was on 45K (or thereabouts) and I think the new owner has taken that up somewhat but is still less than 60K, there was a carbon black one near guildford at 25K miles I think. That's 6 I can recall almost immediately! There's' been a number of examples for sale at between 60-75K miles too. Overall, I'd say there's perhaps between 50-150 fantastically well maintained, very little corrosion and brilliant condition OEM spec M5's around in the UK. Most of those by now will have had some paint and preventative aspects done too given we live in a cold, wet, windswept island that isn't kind to cars. 

Cheers, Dennis!