theo035i

Steering wheel wobble when braking on 530i '01

Greetings from Cyprus,

Had this issue a while back and not being able to sort it out yet.

Steering wheel wobble occasionally when braking from 50-70 miles while on Highway on my 530i '01, does not do it all the time.

So far I have done ALL this :

1/. New rotors front and back, new brake pads, rebuild all 4 calipers with original ATE kit, changed brake fluid.

2/. New rims and tires balanced .

3/. All front control arms changed, wishbone, lower strut and steering tie rods.

4/. Checked all bolts and nuts of the suspension for any slack or any loose bolt.

5/. Wheel alignment done.

Anybody has any idea what it might be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help/idea given.

Regards

Theo

Rear arms are known issues when it comes to wheel wobbles... Only slight play is needed

Have you checked the discs and pads for any uneven wear; just because they were new, doesn't mean they were perfect?!

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I did check all of them for uneven wear, no signs of overheating or excess brake dust anywhere ...

Rear arms where double checked and they are fine (as I was told by my mechanic).

One thing that keeps buzzing in my head is that the previous owner had the known issue with the tri-lights on the dashboard, ABS/ASC etc and replaced the front ABS sensors,

which apparently was not the problem and after I replaced the ABS Module with a good one and re coded the problem was still present.

Maybe and I say maybe they are aftermarket and they are causing the problem sending wrong signal to ABS Module?

Lets hope that someone faced the same problem and I will find a solution :D OR I will live with it LOL

Not sure if you'd get the wobble on the steering wheel with duff ABS sensors though

That issue, to me, points to worn suspension bushes

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Rear arms are known issues when it comes to wheel wobbles... Only slight play is needed

Have you checked the discs and pads for any uneven wear; just because they were new, doesn't mean they were perfect?!

Mine does exactly the same thing. 

Again! 

Same as op changed all the front and the shocks. 

Didnt realise rear bushes/joints can cause a shake on the front. 

Have a little play in one so may be the issue. Still think it's brake related though. 

E39 and the shakes!! 

Seem way too common and very frustrating 

Thrust arm bushes would be my bet if you're sure brakes themselves are OK

Were they replaced with decent OEM quality parts - if it was generic ebay Chinese rubbish then that might well be the cause

Bit random / longshot but has happened to me in the past.

Got 4 new tyres fitted and balanced and then a few weeks later the shimmy/wobble started again. Turns out one of the weights had come off the wheel and threw the balance out?

Probably wont be in your case as really rare...but worth a check???

as said above i would bet its potentially the rear wishbone or upper control arms... i had a wobble and it was partly cured by replacing the front bushes (you didnt mention you had changed yours), the front ARB drop links and the rear upper control arm/guidelink

i still had a bit of a wobble after replacing the the front bushes and the arb drop links and was beginning to wonder about discs. i then had the rear upper arms replaced and they were very loose in the ball joint (not bush) end

look in the parts catalogue and the rear suspension has a wishbone shaped link and a straight one. you can check play with car jacked up and shake the hub side to side

Edited by rc944