Milo

Battery

Is there anything I need to do coding or anything like that before I replace my battery  ? Started the car up the other day, got a mile down the road, switched off and went to start it again and ‘click,click,click :angry:  Not had a drop test yet but after speaking to my mech he reckons It’s a good chance it’s the batt.

Any special precautions when switching it over to a good batt.

Last time I disconnected the battery I did not follow the proper procedure and when I reconnected lost my wipers, central locking and a host of other things ! 

Nope.

Undo battery cables, undo battery holder, replace battery, refit holder, refit cables, turn car over :) 

make sure to connect the plastic vent hose, and block the vent on the other end of the battery - otherwise a leak will eat out your battery tray :o

Thanks Alan

Dan, in my case you have to open the boot then leave it for at least 15-20 mins so all modules go to sleep BEFORE disconnecting. Just wondered if there was anything else I’ve missed. 

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

Thanks Alan

Dan, in my case you have to open the boot then leave it for at least 15-20 mins so all modules go to sleep BEFORE disconnecting. Just wondered if there was anything else I’ve missed. 

Really, whys that?

Never did that in my previous 530i; battery was useless, swapped it over in 10mins

No issues

Don’t know why it happened Dan ?

It happened a few years ago when my stereo system triggered a limp mode to my gearbox. Someone said disconnect the batt for about an hour then reconnect and it might get rid of it (it didn’t) .

I had a auto leccy come out as a couple of the modules went into hibernation mode (transport mode). He reinitialised them and it’s been good ever since. If the modules are not allowed to power down naturally it’s puts them into a ‘transport’ mode which bmw use when shipping the cars. 

Or so I’m told.

Nope; never come across that

Had the battery out in my current one, previous 530 and my E38 before that, zero issues.

All started and ran fine as soon as battery was reinstalled! 

Hmmm ! Strange 

I did read it on one of the forums (can’t remember if it was this one) 

Open the boot and leave ajar until all modules,boot light etc have gone to sleep THEN disconect battery.

I’ll see if I can find the thread 

This was one 

“another thing worth mentioning is to wait a couple of minutes after opening the trunk before you disconnect the battery. I believe the nav computer fires up when you open the trunk, and will power back down in 90 seconds. I've read that you can damage the nav computer if you disconnect the battery while it's running.”

ALWAYS disconnect BATTERY before working on the electrical system in a BMW. Most importantly, you should ensure that the navigation computer Power light is OFF before disconnecting your battery. BMW states that if the battery is disconnected when the navigation computer is on you may damage the nav computer. The important thing to keep in mind is do not disconnect the battery if the power light is on your navigation computer.

Its not for 15-20 mins but something like this I was thinking ?  IIRC I lost the windscreen wipers and central locking as well.

Any recommendations for battery’s while we’re here ? Been quoted anything from a £96 jobbie from Able Fit up to a nice spangly Bosch one currently retailing at Eurocarparts for £199.

I get quite a bit of current suck from the amp in my audio so something big and beefy would be nice B)

17 minutes ago, Milo said:

Any recommendations for battery’s while we’re here ? Been quoted anything from a £96 jobbie from Able Fit up to a nice spangly Bosch one currently retailing at Eurocarparts for £199.

I get quite a bit of current suck from the amp in my audio so something big and beefy would be nice B)

Get the Bosch one and use 'weekend35' to get 35% off; it'll be £129 then! ;) 

Offer ends tomorrow on ECP

4 years warranty an'all! 

Edited by d_a_n1979

New battery ordered, supplied and fitted ! 

Thanks for the heads up Dan with the voucher code B)

I don’t think I had the right battery to start with ? New one is a lot bigger (should be able to keep up with my amp now) with an increase from 75 to 95Ah.

Got to get a right angled connector to reach the vent hose but it’s all good.

15564DF8-EEDA-4D70-B9C8-5720171AC4FD.jpeg

F6C66517-A62C-4172-9B05-741761CD60DF.jpeg

1D5BBCD6-903A-426E-85D5-D58FF10E9226.jpeg

Yup; both my 530i's came to me with the wrong, smaller battery (wrong IMO)

After having an E38, I always expect the battery's to be the size of a house :lol:

They make a lot of difference too; the initial crank seems much better to me