535i Andrew

Traction control behavior

In a rare moment of frustration this morning I hit the throttle hard, hard enough for me to feel the rear axle bump and tramp about (which must have been the wheels slipping) a couple of times but this was before the traction control light lit on my dash.  Its like it took a while for the system to recognise the slip before it corrected it with its usual cutting of the engines power. 

Road surface was wet, but not standing water.  It was not raining at the time.  Car has rear tyres with 4-5mm of tread.  I was driving in a straight line up a slight incline.

Anyone else notice that it can take a length of time before the TC intervenes?

All my BMWs have tramped about at the back end when the wheels break traction so I knew straight away what was happening but in the E39 and E60 the system would intervene much quicker and prevent the excessive tramping of the axle.

Or has BMW dialed down the intrusiveness of the system in the newer models?  I think this is the first time I've experienced the tramping of the back end in the F10.  Fairly regular occurrence in the E60 when ahem, pressing on, cough...^_^

Yes, I think I've posted about this before too. The f10 seems to take much longer than my old e46 to cut the throttle/apply the brakes or whatever it does.

Glad it's not just me!

I can get a nice little slide going (on a  private track of course!).

Could be worse, imagine having all the torque of a dirty diesel, we have to be very tentative on the loud pedal.

I'm surprised they even fit TC on the petrol downgrades.

38 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

We'll leave the torque multiplier effects of the TC and final drive ratio at the door shall we ? Hehe

Yes please, the last time we went there it degenerated very quickly.......

Mike I recall your posting about traction control, but wasn't your issue that it went into limp mode or a fault was indicated after the wheelspin was arrested?

I've had the back wheels break traction a few times setting off in the wet and also wondered why TC didn't kick in earlier. Going back about 10 years to the old Vecta, I only had to look at the accelerator and the dash lit up, and the e90 would flash TC on rough roads and speed humps so I'm surprised the F10 TC is so muted.

37 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes please, the last time we went there it degenerated very quickly.......

Mike I recall your posting about traction control, but wasn't your issue that it went into limp mode or a fault was indicated after the wheelspin was arrested?

Yeah I've had the limp mode thing and posted about the slow TC - I think! Or I've thought about posting about the slow TC. 

Yes, it's a common complaint that the traction control is too intrusive in some cars. We have a longer leash before nanny state kicks in.

I'm not complaining as I don't rely on it to keep me on the black stuff but I found it odd that it hadn't intervened sooner, probably because it was the first time since owning the F10 that I found myself spinning up the back end, given how intrusive it was in the E60.

In damp conditions mine will slide quite easily at junctions/roundabouts, though with over 500Nm torque I can't say I'm completely surprised.

2mm of tread and DTC = sideways fun!!

Unfortunately new tyres on Friday (just before it goes back to the Leasing company (at their request))?!

2 minutes ago, carrman said:

2mm of tread and DTC = sideways fun!!

Unfortunately new tyres on Friday (just before it goes back to the Leasing company (at their request))?!

Got mine booked in for a buckle repair tomorrow, then the wheels refurbed with new tyres so I have a grace period and some spare rubber to burn!!

3 hours ago, sshooie said:

Nowt wrong with a bit of drifting...

Dukes of Hazzard style? Yeeeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaawwww. 

Although as I'm desperate to get rid of the cheap shitty Nexen tyres that was on when I bought it AUC, I should drive everywhere spinning them up to burn them away. Probably wouldn't be very good for the gearbox though....

I experience the same but I have to make it happen. Usually at either standstill or low speed going over rough road or turning into a junction after I floor the pedal. The traction control symbol rarely comes up but its not something I do a lot either. The rest of the time, the car just wont budge, then again, I wouldn't cheap out by fitting Nexens considering how well this car handles itself in all conditions. :-D

Edited by Scimmer

1 hour ago, Scimmer said:

I wouldn't cheap out by fitting Nexens considering how well this car handles itself in all conditions. :-D

Agree and I can't wait to get rid of these excuses for tyres. They were on the car when I bought it AUC, but the fronts needed doing first. Once the summers are stored for the winter, the Nexens won't be coming back out.

They are badly cracked at 3 years old which is really poor as they are split on the car with winters. And no it's not because I run them at high pressures.