Darkbmwlord

The Darkbmwlord and his E39 on a shoestring...

It looks like a good cut and polish would work wonders, I thought my OEM xenon' were pretty crap until I had the lenses polished. 

I think the kits are about 20 quid.  

On 10/25/2017 at 8:35 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Bloody hell - they look brighter than my factory xenons!

Think my lenses need a serious session with wet and dry.

Hmm. While doing some research on cold start tappet noise, a common theme amongst owners was the thought that giving the engine a good thrashing sometimes helped, rather than low rev cruising, which is my normal gait.

So this morning I held it in lower gears, overtook everything on the dual carriageway, and tailgated on the motorway outside lane.:P

This is quite unlike me, and I felt embarrassingly a  bit of the steriotypical BMW idiot.

It was strangely enjoyable....:lol:

(PS not suggesting anything about BMW drivers on here - I know you are all paragons of respectability...-_-)

Edited by Darkbmwlord

Well it sounds like you had fun!

I had to pop to Tesco about half 9 last night. .... That resulted in a 16 mile hoon around my local street circuit... (read b roads). Her indoors thought I'd got lost :D Tesco is only a mile away. 

Paragon of respectability???? Hahahaha, you comedian you.  

How are your tappets now?

9 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

Well it sounds like you had fun!

I had to pop to Tesco about half 9 last night. .... That resulted in a 16 mile hoon around my local street circuit... (read b roads). Her indoors thought I'd got lost :D Tesco is only a mile away. 

Paragon of respectability???? Hahahaha, you comedian you.  

How are your tappets now?

This happens to me quite often, my local Shell garage is only 2 miles away, but that often turns into warming the car up fully beforehand, it's rude not to, right?!

Well, for all those who said driving with the headlights on would help dry them out, 50% of you stand up and take a bow, because one of the lights has largely cleared.

Mind you, most of the on-coming driver will be visiting Specsavers...:D

IMG_20170929_151604.jpg

On 28/10/2017 at 10:14 AM, Darkbmwlord said:

Hmm. While doing some research on cold start tappet noise, a common theme amongst owners was the thought that giving the engine a good thrashing sometimes helped, rather than low rev cruising, which is my normal gait.

So this morning I held it in lower gears, overtook everything on the dual carriageway, and tailgated on the motorway outside lane.:P

This is quite unlike me, and I felt embarrassingly a  bit of the steriotypical BMW idiot.

It was strangely enjoyable....:lol:

(PS not suggesting anything about BMW drivers on here - I know you are all paragons of respectability...-_-)

Did you use your indicators? If so, then the stereotype was not fulfilled!! :-D

Well, time to replace the screeching wipers for £9.99 eBay replacements.^_^

First result? Silent wipers. Hooray.

...but...the drivers side smears and leaves vision attrocious! :angry: The blade appears uneven.

This may be somethingto do with the postman's ability to flatten the box and force it through the letter box while I was out.

Well done Royal Mail...:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Well, time to replace the screeching wipers for £9.99 eBay replacements.^_^

First result? Silent wipers. Hooray.

...but...the drivers side smears and leaves vision attrocious! :angry: The blade appears uneven.

This may be somethingto do with the postman's ability to flatten the box and force it through the letter box while I was out.

Or you being cheap... :lol:

Get some GoodRain ones and you'll be fine, around £18 delivered IIRC 

2 hours ago, Darkbmwlord said:

If he hadn't flattened the box to make it fit you would have had a trip to the local sorting office ;), and I daresay that the wiper is uneven due to bad storage or as above......:D

I have to say this thread is a refreshing antithesis to the overly dramatic American E39 boards "omg I've just driven 15 miles, now I need to overhaul my cooling system for the 4th time and use genuine parts only" "No way man, you should have overhauled it, like, 5 miles ago, you're on borrowed time duuuude!" Or something.

The Darkbmwlord smites again...B)

Today I fitted a second hand, working maf sensor - what a difference! Much more alert, smoother pickup, and no flat spots.:lol: Hopefully it will improve the fuel consumption too.

One puzzling thing - it came with a sealing ring, pictured, which the old one didn't have. But it was impossible to fit the maf sensor with it in, the clips wouldn't snap on from the air intake. Anyone else had that problem?:huh:

Sorted:

Maf sensor :x

New tyres :x

Missfires/coil packs :x

Front strut :x

Outstanding:

ABS fault :shock:

Oil change :shock:

The shoestring adventure continues...

IMG_20171110_170339.jpg

I hope you were smiling and not smiting. If you are lucky the abs fault might simply be the destroyed lead from a  front wheel sensor as per one of your earlier photos, although it is hard to tell whether the lead in question is an ABS sensor  lead or a brake wear sensor lead like the broken one at the back and which will trigger the brake warning light.

RE; The maf sealing ring, I would say it's a bit like when you finish a job and there is a bolt left over, if it works ok without it then don't worry about it. :)

Arrrgghhhh!:angry:

1 step forward, 2 steps back...

...you would think the car would be grateful for its new maf sensor, but now it has a rougher, popping idle at times, and rougher running while it's warming up. 

Vacuum leak perhaps?:huh:

30 minutes ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Arrrgghhhh!:angry:

1 step forward, 2 steps back...

...you would think the car would be grateful for its new maf sensor, but now it has a rougher, popping idle at times, and rougher running while it's warming up. 

Vacuum leak perhaps?:huh:

Could well be

Check the intake boot that leads from the MAF to the throttle body, it can split in all sorts of places

Cam/crank sensor can cause issues also!