Darkbmwlord

The Darkbmwlord and his E39 on a shoestring...

Also, on topic, if you shop around for parts and know how to use a spanner then an e39 isn't the most expensive car to keep on the road I find. 

On 12/10/2017 at 1:29 PM, Darkbmwlord said:

Well, the Darkbmwlord started his car today for the first time since returning from a 600 mile trip. It has been standing for 3 days.

And surprise surprise! Instead of the usual monetary tapping, presumably while the oil fills something, there was just smooth running!

I wonder if it enjoyed the motorway blast, and if it's made some sort of difference?:)

A good run/blast occasionally certainly won't do it any harm.

If I don't use mine for a few weeks I'll take it down a couple of junctions on the M23 from Gatwick to get all the innards flowing nice and hot again and to charge the battery. Usually a 30 mile round trip. Much better for it han driving it two miles down the road and back.

Then I'll park it up again if I can't see me needing it for a while!

Edited by Loadmaster

The Darkbmwlord smites again!

Not fancying the prospect of another motorway journey on 11 year old cracked rear tyres,  so back to the friendly tyre fitter for 2 new black circular things, at £54 each fitted and balanced. 

Well I told you I was on a budget...:blink:

They also took the front ones off and re balanced them in the hope it would cure a shudder at speed. The result?

Much more stability, and the shudder seemed gone on a short run home! Woo hoo! 

The car is improving with every repair and tweek, and so far costs have been manageable. I could have done without new tyres but hey ho...

There is certainly a weakness in the offside rear suspension on tight corners, with more heeling over than there should be - replacement strut? Well not after the nightmare at the front!:angry:

But I can live with that at present, the car is driving smoothly and quietly. And it hasn't broken down for a week!

The saga continues....:D

P.S - what is this wire thingy circled?

IMG_20171020_194904.jpg

Edited by Darkbmwlord
Cause I'm a turnip...

23 minutes ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Could that be the cause of the trio of orange warning  lights permanently illuminated?:huh:

Erm yup

another day, another little bit of lerning, e39's are such fun :D

but as said above , if you dont mind  getting down&dirty with the spanners ,

costs can be kept in check.

ps loved the sunday give away :D

Best thing to do with the pad wear sensors is solder the wires together in the little box in the wheel arch.

I'm sure you are capable of checking pad wear with you own eyes!? :blink:

Sorry to disappoint but drilling holes in your headlights will only make the problem worse. What you need to do is split the unit in two, thoroughly dry everything out and re-assemble with plenty of silicone sealant. Also, be generous with the silicone where the front plastic lense is bonded to the black plastic part, that's where they leak in my experience............

Or buy a new headlight......:)

You can detach the light from 4 points and detach the bulbs and leave the unit in a warm dry place for a couple of days like airing cupboard if you feel lazy

Well, another long journey has shown the shudder to be cured, following the new tyres and re balanced fronts. Yee ha!

Awaiting the arrival of new front door seal, rear window mechanism, wiper blades and maf sensor. The project rolls onwards...

IMG_20171009_194340.jpg

Edited by Darkbmwlord

11 minutes ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Well, another long journey has shown the shudder to be cured, following the new tyres and re balanced fronts. Yee ha!

Awaiting the arrival of new front door seal, rear window mechanism, wiper blades and maf sensor. The project rolls onwards...

IMG_20171009_194340.jpg

It's coming on nicely then :)

IMO, re the headlights, take them out (5min job); dry them on a radiator overnight (with bulbs removed etc) and then give the joining areas a lick of sealant and see if that helps...

Otherwise, as already stated, it could be a case of taking them apart and fully resealing them OR, seeing if someone has a decent set available on here via a car that's being broken for parts etc ;) 

On 24/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, trenchy24 said:

Best thing to do with the pad wear sensors is solder the wires together in the little box in the wheel arch.

I'm sure you are capable of checking pad wear with you own eyes!? :blink:

Hmm, I like the sound of this...

24 minutes ago, Darkbmwlord said:

:blink: New headlights? I'm on a shoestring...:blink:

New to you, but 2nd hand

The issue with yours is only going to get worse unless you reseal them

Plus facelift headlights look better ;) Just need to swap over plugs to your loom etc

4 hours ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Hmm, I like the sound of this...

Its the best option and solves any future irritating lights and noises from the dash.

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

New to you, but 2nd hand

The issue with yours is only going to get worse unless you reseal them

Plus facelift headlights look better ;) Just need to swap over plugs to your loom etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-Hella-Angel-Eyes-Headlights/192344256917?hash=item2cc89c7195:g:YE8AAOSwmiZZwhCd

These would look lovely....:D

They sure would...now, let me check down the back of the sofa...

...ok, 37p and half a mars bar.

I might offer them and see...:D

To be honest I'm not into to modifying, or bling up, just to keep the car tidy and roadworthy. Due to a  family illness situation, I'm  suddenly having to use and rely on the car far more than I was - another 6 hour motorway trip coming up! Hence trying to get it to run reasonably well, all on JSA! So I have to carefully target my efforts.

I had  to do a 2 hour drive in the dark and rain last night, and the headlights were like candles - ok on main beam, but dangerous on dip. And it's dip I spent 90% of the time on...:wacko:

Edited by Darkbmwlord

1 hour ago, Darkbmwlord said:

They sure would...now, let me check down the back of the sofa...

...ok, 37p and half a mars bar.

I might offer them and see...:D

To be honest I'm not into to modifying, or bling up, just to keep the car tidy and roadworthy. Due to a  family illness situation, I'm  suddenly having to use and rely on the car far more than I was - another 6 hour motorway trip coming up! Hence trying to get it to run reasonably well, all on JSA! So I have to carefully target my efforts.

I had  to do a 2 hour drive in the dark and rain last night, and the headlights were like candles - ok on main beam, but dangerous on dip. And it's dip I spent 90% of the time on...:wacko:

Get some of these fitted then (and get the bloody things dried out) ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972XV-S2-X-tremeVision-Headlight/dp/B00NMEEV9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508960087&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+h7