Sign in to follow this  
Darkbmwlord

Can Darkbmwlord run his E39 on a shoestring?

Watch in fascinated horror as I attempt to run my BMW e39 on a shoestring budget.

If I'm on such a tight budget, why a BMW? Well, I needed an emergency banger,  and it was very very cheap. If I'd known what fussy cars they can be, I wouldn't have bothered... still, you live and learn.:rolleyes:

Thanks to the excellent advice on here I was able to tackle some of the (many) issues it came with, and it's starting to grow on me - it's just managed a 600 mile trip in the last few days.

Since money is tight just now, replacement is not an option, so I'm going to try and keep it going on an almost non existent budget. 

Yes, this was an expensive car, and many of you maintain your cars to a beautiful standard - I can't compete with that. But my car really is a an old banger, 18 years old with the rust to prove it.

I'll document my ongoing shenanigans here, and you can watch in horror.:o I don't think you will approve of everything you see, so I'll duck the brick bats...

...starting with my recent front suspension repair. During the replacement of the strut, I had to grind off the droplink. Fortunately I had a new replacement - the Lemforder ones are £90, out of the question just now, so the replacement was...£9.99. For the pair. Delivered. Well, it should get me to the MOT, when it will become clear whether it will pass another one...

IMG_20171009_201911.png

IMG_20170926_105528.jpg

IMG_20171009_194501.jpg

IMG_20171009_194210.jpg

IMG_20171009_194340.jpg

IMG_20171009_194420.jpg

Hats off to you sir for keeping one of Dingolfing's finest on the road.

You're in good company here.

Now the replacement front strut has hugely improved the stability, while eliminating almost all the bangs and clonks. £48 = result!

There is still an odd lean at the rear at times, and I would have said it feels like a worn damper, although the rear suspension is silent. But it could also be the 11 year old rear tyres...:rolleyes:

Given how much money I've burned through sorting issues on my E39, I just don't think shoestring and E39 can work together.. but good luck all the same. 

I guess on reflection it would be entirely possible to just.. ignore warning lights, bypass / delete broken systems, put up with noises and rattles... but then you might as well just be driving a Peugeot ;)

It is doable to run the petrol ones with care thanks to mechanical simplicity - depends what else you bring to the party!  My first was an auto 523i, bit of a clocked shed in retrospect but good for learning including getting someone else to fit LPG.  A couple of years/sill repairs/enormous hole in the floor later the replacement 530i auto is proving cheaper still to run: I moved the LPG kit over, tweaked it a little, learned how to program Arduino stuff to build my own fan controller for an electric fan to replace the failed viscous, etc etc.  Perhaps a bit more to run than a small diesel hatchback, but doing everything except MoTs myself has been a good learning experience and gives economical daily motoring!  The savings overall from my previous sensible diesel estate have paid for a suspension refresh and much fuel at c50ppl...

1 hour ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Now the replacement front strut has hugely improved the stability, while eliminating almost all the bangs and clonks. £48 = result!

There is still an odd lean at the rear at times, and I would have said it feels like a worn damper, although the rear suspension is silent. But it could also be the 11 year old rear tyres...:rolleyes:

That odd lean is standard BMW; they all do this!

To do list -

- replacement maf sensor (little chance at the price they are:o)

ABS warning lights - the broken wire in the attached picture?

Remote locking not working

New rear tyres

This shoe string is stretching already...<_<

IMG_20170920_113608.jpg

For new rear tyres @Darkbmwlord

If you've the turbines on and using 225/55/16 sized tyres; I'd highly recommend these budgets: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s293p115611/Jinyu_Tyres_Car_Jinyu_YU61_Jinyu_YU_61_-_225_55_R16_99W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_73dB

Bloody brilliant tyres; have them on the wifes Jazz and a pal who's got a 525d running turbines has them on the turbines I bought for him from one of the breakers off here and they grip like shit to a blanket!

For budget tyres, they're about the best I've ever known and for less than £50 a corner, great value!

Brilliant, thank you dan1979, great recommendation.

The local tyre fitter supplied me with a front tyre last week for £45+vat, fitted. Don't know what brand, it's er...black and round.:) He did say it's an uncommon size, and had to order it specially.

However, I was delighted with the price - cheaper than the tiny tyres on the Colt I had previously!

Are yours 225/55/16's or 205/55/16s?

Not really that unusual sized; if you look on Camskill or Tyreleader, you'll see loads at that size ranging for around £38 upwards!

8 minutes ago, amauvis said:

If you fancy some winters and can collect, a guy I know (and might even be registered on here from eons ago) is selling some for not much.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112596085634?clk_rvr_id=1331937262021&rmvSB=true

Would probably help if he mentioned what make they are and their load rating (plus tread depth measurements always help)!

47 minutes ago, amauvis said:

Not risky at 15 quid a corner. Came from a 2011 E Class Merc as far as I know, so should be suitable for for an E39.

I've alerted him to this thread.

Risky if tread is lower than 4-5mm, more so for winters as any less than that and they're more or less useless TBH

But simple details like brand name and tread depth are the norm when it comes to selling tyres. Not just £60 for 4 black rubber circles!

Anyways; this is off top; apologies to the OP!

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Risky if tread is lower than 4-5mm, more so for winters as any less than that and they're more or less useless TBH

But simple details like brand name and tread depth are the norm when it comes to selling tyres. Not just £60 for 4 black rubber circles!

Anyways; this is off top; apologies to the OP!

:rolleyes:

Well blow me down with an anchovy.

Dan1979 very kindly sent me a set of original number plate lamp holders (thank you so much!), so today I went to replace the flickering LEDs with standard bulbs, and guess what?

THEY STILL FLICKER!!:o

Now that's a new one on me.:huh: All the rest of the lights on the car are perfectly normal. 

The shoestring saga continues...

IMG_20171011_155521.jpg

IMG_20171011_165351.jpg

That's weird

The OEM festoon bulbs still flicker?! What about the LED's that I put in there too?

Maybe a duff earth somewhere...

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

That's weird

The OEM festoon bulbs still flicker?! What about the LED's that I put in there too?

Maybe a duff earth somewhere...

Everything flickers!

I feel bad because I left negative feedback on eBay for the led units, and they contacted me to apologize, and are sending me free replacements! 

Oops.

4 minutes ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Everything flickers!

I feel bad because I left negative feedback on eBay for the led units, and they contacted me to apologize, and are sending me free replacements! 

Oops.

You weren't to know... Think you can retract it too?

Well, the Darkbmwlord started his car today for the first time since returning from a 600 mile trip. It has been standing for 3 days.

And surprise surprise! Instead of the usual monetary tapping, presumably while the oil fills something, there was just smooth running!

I wonder if it enjoyed the motorway blast, and if it's made some sort of difference?:)

On 10/12/2017 at 6:09 PM, duncan-uk said:

:lol:

My dad had his 540 touring for about 5 years before i walked up to it and popped open the boot glass and not the whole tailgate.

Not quite 5 years but I found a button on my e46 touring about 2 months after I bought it that opened the glass only, from then on I made a point of loading everything into the boot through the top half just 'cos I could...