d_a_n1979

Stud conversion

Anyone done one? 

Thinking of doing it to make life easier (I take my wheels off regularly to clean them etc). 

What I'd like to know is if I go for an 82mm kit to allow for 15mm spacers, will I need a separate kit if I decide to not use the spacers etc? 

Cheers 

2 hours ago, dan101smith said:

No, you can use the same ones, the nuts just sit further down the thread. 

Cheers

Did kind of guess that; but wanted to ask

Mtec via eBay do a decent set; so will plum for those I think :) 

Mounting wheels on a lug bolt hub sure can be a challenge all right.

Here's an alternative you might wish to consider. Buy an M12x1.5 bolt approx 100 mm long. Cut off the bolt head (hex) with a hacksaw. Then cut a slot  in the end ~5 mm deep across the diameter. Finally, grind the end into a bullet shape.

To mount a wheel

- screw the bolt into one of the lug holes in the hub - 4 or 5 finger twists is enough

- fit the wheel onto the hub over the bolt

- using the bolt as a pivot, rotate the wheel until it seats over the hub's centering cone/lip

- once in place on the lip the wheel will usually stay in place without support. Occasionally a light touch with one hand is needed until a lug bolt is started with the free hand.

I've found this method easier than mounting over studs, where one has to align all 5 studs to the wheel simultaneously.

If needed, one can use a blade screwdriver in the slot to turn out the bolt. But in the 5+ years I've used this method on my 530, I can't recall ever needing to do so. The bolt comes out easily by hand.

regards

RDL

Now that my youthful strength has evaporated I do find it a struggle at times to hold a wheel in place while I try and locate the first wheel bolt , especially if I have been working on a tiring job. Sometimes it is possible to get one bolt in loosely and rotate the wheel to position the next one but the idea of a long bolt as per the above post is an excellent idea. To any of the weight lifters reading this with a smile I say wait until you get into your seventies!

13 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

Now that my youthful strength has evaporated I do find it a struggle at times to hold a wheel in place while I try and locate the first wheel bolt , especially if I have been working on a tiring job. Sometimes it is possible to get one bolt in loosely and rotate the wheel to position the next one but the idea of a long bolt as per the above post is an excellent idea. To any of the weight lifters reading this with a smile I say wait until you get into your seventies!

Haha; even I find it fiddly at times, but never really struggled

But I do take the wheels off once a month at least, to clean them and will be swapping over onto my winter alloys soon enough, so to me, they'll just make life easier!