Sign in to follow this  
Pete Hambly

Audio & iPods 540i

Hi everyone,

Just taken delivery of my rather delicious 540i X-drive. All is fine except the audio interface.

I have an iPod Classic which I successfully used with my old E90 325i, via the BMW Y-cable. I've plugged it into the new car via the USB port and an apple white cable. It works, but only kind of. Immediately after connecting it, there is a lot of 'please wait' stuff going on. If I select a track it will often play the first 2 seconds over and over. Sometimes it plays a totally different track to the one I've selected. Early on during an 11-hour trip to France the iPod froze and wouldn't start again until I'd reset it. Sometimes it works fine. I've reset the ipod, updated the software etc

Then I thought I'd load up the HD on the car via a memory stick. I dragged a load of folders from my itunes music folder and tried to upload to the car, only to be told there was no readable music files on it.

So...

1. Any tips re the iPod?

2. Why will it not read the memory stick? It is formatted as Mac Journalled. Is that the problem? Should I format it as MS-DOS or something?

OK, I answered question 2 by myself, in case anyone has the same problem. Memory sticks don't work when mac formatted, but do on MS-DOS format. I've just loaded up the thick end of 20GB onto the car's HD, and it works pretty well. All correctly arranged by album, genre etc. Album art all there. The only thing I don't have is my itunes playlists. Maybe I'll start listening to albums again.

As you mentioned, USB sticks need to be formatted on a windows or in MS DOS. There is also a program (name escapes me) that allows you to copy data over from iTunes onto a memory stick and keep all of the metadata so albums, playlists, album artwork etc remains. 

in regards of the iPod classic - the reason why this takes long to work and often freezes is plainly down to old tech in the iPod itself. The physical Hard drive as opposed to a flash drive takes far longer to cache and sort the thousands of files on it and scan over the capacity of the drive. Hence the older cars used a Y cable for dual connectivity with simple audio and the the USB for data. Another issue with the iPod classics is that because they are physical hard drives and not flash memory, I have seen music jolt or stop over a speed bump or deep pot hole. Best solution for this is to upgrade to a newer iPod i'm afraid, one that runs of a flash drive or stick to a big USB stick. 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:01 AM, sjak92 said:

in regards of the iPod classic - the reason why this takes long to work and often freezes is plainly down to old tech in the iPod itself. The physical Hard drive as opposed to a flash drive takes far longer to cache and sort the thousands of files on it and scan over the capacity of the drive. Hence the older cars used a Y cable for dual connectivity with simple audio and the the USB for data. Another issue with the iPod classics is that because they are physical hard drives and not flash memory, I have seen music jolt or stop over a speed bump or deep pot hole. Best solution for this is to upgrade to a newer iPod i'm afraid, one that runs of a flash drive or stick to a big USB stick. 

Interesting. I'm having similar problems but with an iphone 6 - it's just slowwwwwwww to respond, particularly when connecting by bluetooth and for the first 5 minutes. I'd say 30 secs to play the first track, a lag of 2 to 3 seconds when changing track? Happens with my daughters 7 too.

My conclusion was that the car was loading all the metadata first - which, when it's 4,000+ contacts and 40+gb of music ... It's definitely something to do with the car as I stream at home, connect to other cars etc with no noticeable lag at all. the HD is much better, but is a little clunky in places.

Bonus question. Anyone figure how to stop it automatically playing the first song alphabetically on teh first play list when you connect? Anarchy in the UK at 5am is a little antisocial.. I've ended up turning the volume off to connect and select!

And before anyone says it..yes, I know First World Problems!