lewis.bates.73

White smoke on start up help please?

Hi there I’m new to the 5 series owners I’ve got a 530D on 53/04 plate when I start it I get white smoke when I give it some revs it’s quite bad once been for a drive it clears ... I’ve got no hunting or anything like that I’ve posted it on the Bmw forums on Facebook and few people say turbo etc I know turbo is fine boost fine etc... people also said CCV I land to check it was to start the car and remove the oil cap and if it comes easy it’s fine if it’s sucked down and a night mare to come off then it’s that so I did that and it came off really easy ..? I have videos but don’t know how to attach them ....2df748d488534b6dd0b51af176c1911e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there I’m new to the 5 series owners I’ve got a 530D on 53/04 plate when I start it I get white smoke when I give it some revs it’s quite bad once been for a drive it clears ... I’ve got no hunting or anything like that I’ve posted it on the Bmw forums on Facebook and few people say turbo etc I know turbo is fine boost fine etc... people also said CCV I land to check it was to start the car and remove the oil cap and if it comes easy it’s fine if it’s sucked down and a night mare to come off then it’s that so I did that and it came off really easy ..? I have videos but don’t know how to attach them ....2df748d488534b6dd0b51af176c1911e.jpg&key=de0110e61ff3e556a7a293e3f798e7655fc29a5413ccd0e518e5dc828283f8a1

If it's white, that's a sign of unburnt fuel, could be glow plug related.

If it's more white with a hint of blue smoke could be oil being burnt via valve seals or turbo, or a clogged crankcase breather.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've Allways thought white was water getting burnt, black unburned fuel and blue ish tinge was oil? Could be wrong though. Is it using water

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Using no water at all like I say it’s only on start up once warm it’s fine no hunting or anything on start up nothing only smoke I get while driving is black smoke when I boot it

Yeah white is water, blue oil, black fuel! 

Sorry, this is incorrect. A sign of misfire is white smoke which is un combusted fuel evaporating. Black is a sign of too much fuel i. e. soot as a result of poor combustion. Blue is oil burning

I did design and develop diesel engines for 5 years, including calibrate.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/getting-smoke-from-your-diesel-car-exhaust

Sorry, this is incorrect. A sign of misfire is white smoke which is un combusted fuel evaporating. Black is a sign of too much fuel i. e. soot as a result of poor combustion. Blue is oil burning 

I did design and develop diesel engines for 5 years, including calibrate.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/getting-smoke-from-your-diesel-car-exhaust

Fair one so what would you say it could possibly be ?

Fair one so what would you say it could possibly be ?

Can you upload vids to YouTube and post the link here?

Just so we can see the smoke?

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors dribbling fuel in on wrong engine phase and getting vented down the exhaust, or the wrong part of diesel cycle again leading to raw disruption exiting a cylinder.

Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway). So furl in to cylinder at the wrong time relative to compression of the air and conditions correct for fuel to combust.

Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze) leading to no combustion in that cylinder and fuel down the exhaust.

White smoke CAN be as a result of water, but it wouldn't, in my experience, be as dense as with raw diesel.

I video woukd help :)

Can you upload vids to YouTube and post the link here? 

Just so we can see the smoke?

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors dribbling fuel in on wrong engine phase and getting vented down the exhaust, or the wrong part of diesel cycle again leading to raw disruption exiting a cylinder.

Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway). So furl in to cylinder at the wrong time relative to compression of the air and conditions correct for fuel to combust.

Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze) leading to no combustion in that cylinder and fuel down the exhaust.

White smoke CAN be as a result of water, but it wouldn't, in my experience, be as dense as with raw diesel.

I video woukd help

http://

There is two other videos on my channel now so 3 in total have a look

http://

There is two other videos on my channel now so 3 in total have a look

One of your vids, when you start your getting quite a kick of black smoke at first fire, which is a little odd, did you throttle the engine as you were cranking?

The video you linked shows the smoke as a little grey, almost black mixed with a little white, it's not really as white smoke as with misfire, and it's not really there on idle, which if it were a bad injector I would expect it to be there all the time to some extent.

Does it start easily from cold, from hot and from somewhere in between?

One of your vids, when you start your getting quite a kick of black smoke at first fire, which is a little odd, did you throttle the engine as you were cranking?  

The video you linked shows the smoke as a little grey, almost black mixed with a little white, it's not really as white smoke as with misfire, and it's not really there on idle, which if it were a bad injector I would expect it to be there all the time to some extent.

Does it start easily from cold, from hot and from somewhere in between?

It’s starts perfect from cold or hot doesn’t matter these videos was done from cold I give no throttle at all but I have revved it on a cold engine obviously which I shouldn’t do but to be fair I’m probably being over cautious but I think it’s due a really good service because the previous owner said it just had a full service before I had it but this is what I found in the airbox when I took it off to look ... il upload now so go back on my YouTube it will be there

It’s starts perfect from cold or hot doesn’t matter these videos was done from cold I give no throttle at all but I have revved it on a cold engine obviously which I shouldn’t do but to be fair I’m probably being over cautious but I think it’s due a really good service because the previous owner said it just had a full service before I had it but this is what I found in the airbox when I took it off to look ... il upload now so go back on my YouTube it will be there

The puff of black on start is puzzling.

I'd put checking the breather at top of the list!

And fuel filter.

The puff of black on start is puzzling. 

I'd put checking the breather at top of the list!

And fuel filter.

Thanks for your help mate do you think I’m possibly looking to much into the white smoke because I have no trouble starting hot or cold there’s no hunting or anything on idle

Thanks for your help mate do you think I’m possibly looking to much into the white smoke because I have no trouble starting hot or cold there’s no hunting or anything on idle

It can indicate low compression but you'd expect rough running to accompany that, and if it were an injector issue again lumpy running as it likely be affecting one cylinder (or a few if more than one duff injector)

The more I watch the video close to tail pipes the less white it looks.

Is it chipped/ got a tuning box?

How does it go? Wondering if a boost leak could be giving you black/grey smoke. As it's only there when revved.

It can indicate low compression but you'd expect rough running to accompany that, and if it were an injector issue again lumpy running as it likely be affecting one cylinder (or a few if more than one duff injector) 

How does it go? Wondering if a boost leak could be giving you black/grey smoke. As it's only there when revved.

It goes fine mate no problems happily sits at 145mph and still wants to go more

White smoke on start up could be a number of things.

Listening to the sound when you rev it, it sounds like your turbo is goosed. That howl noise is the sound of damaged tips on the turbine blades.

The blades can become damaged when the bearing fails allowing movement of the turbine and thus coming into contact with the compressor housing.

Once they become damaged, instead of a shrill, clear whistle you get the howl.

An aside from the fouling you also get oil passing though and this results in the smoke.

Without a thorough investigation it's hard to tell but that's where my money would be placed if I were a betting man.

On 07/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, Abbadon said:

Abit of an update  thats just come to my mind when i first got the car i took it to my local MOT station and asked my mate that works there to plug it in to the snap on kit to see if there is any hidden stored codes he did a scan and if i remember rightly all 6 glow plug come up can't remember what the faults where but i have been reading this could probably be the glow plug relay .... so would this cause this smoke having a faulty glow plug relay also if the glow plugs are not up to scratch?

thanks

6 hours ago, lewis.bates.73 said:

Abit of an update  thats just come to my mind when i first got the car i took it to my local MOT station and asked my mate that works there to plug it in to the snap on kit to see if there is any hidden stored codes he did a scan and if i remember rightly all 6 glow plug come up can't remember what the faults where but i have been reading this could probably be the glow plug relay .... so would this cause this smoke having a faulty glow plug relay also if the glow plugs are not up to scratch?

thanks

No unfortunately not.

The glow plugs are used by the engine when the outside temperature is very cold to pre heat the cylinder (diesel coagulates when very cold) to aid starting or to increase temperature when carrying out a dpf regen.

As I've posted before, I honestly think your symptoms are due to a failing turbo.

It can still make power and pull hard as the turbine will centralise when on boost, it's the bearing and seal failing causing the noise and the passing of oil causing the smoke.

Also in the vid, the smoke is a blueish smoke. I know it looks white but there is a blue tinge indicative of oil burning.

When you get white smoke there's no mistaking it - it's as pure as the driven snow and looks like father christmas' big fluffy beard :)

Edited by wakey

6 hours ago, wakey said:

As I've posted before, I honestly think your symptoms are due to a failing turbo.

I'm not a diesel expert, but I'm pretty sure that turbo noise is not normal so I think the turbos may be the cause. I also don't think that smoke is very white either, definitely some blue there.

That turbo is somewhat unhealthy sounding. I'd definitely be checking the turbine blades for signs of contact with the housing. 

As someone else suggested, the whine is likely to be the "hooks" that have formed on the top of the turbine blades, it should be pretty easy to see. 

The risk is if more material is lost then this could result in a compressor wheel which is out of balance, and self destruction soon after, bits of turbo into your intercooler ect.