Tomrx7

E39 facelift headlight adjuster

going to tackle my headlights over the weekend and they seriously need wet and dried and to also fix the broken adjusters, I have ordered replacement adjusters off flea bay so hopefully they will arrive Saturday post, as I understand it the facelift lights are sealed and 2 sections need to be separated (lens and body) to get access to the parts and I have read that sticking the lights in the oven can soften the seal which I don’t fancy doing and also the heat gun method which I don’t have, can I assume that temporarily knicking the wife’s hair dryer won’t do the job or has anyone on here had some success with one!!

facelift can't be seperated unless very early ones i beleve ,you have to do them from the back  howto's on y-tube long thin torx screwdriver and fingers etc and a bucket load of patience

i dnoe mine a few years ago 1st one 2 hours 2nd one 45 mins  

enjoy:)

It depends on the year; generally late 2002 and 2003 cars need holes drilling but earlier facelift cars can be 'cooked' open; mine is a 2001 and setting the oven on the lowest temp and leaving it 5-6 mins at a time and pulling little by little worked for me.

Just got my left n right adjusters off eBay.  Came next day. Brilliant.

Not looking forward to swearing and getting them thrown across the room.

Please write up how you get on.

started, went to screw fix and bought a heat gun 11.99 bargain for a 2000w one, made quick work of seperating the bits just got to wait for the postie to deliver the new adjusters, as you can see the old ones were tab past their best lol

15073690463928743611938313371896.jpg

15073690660179194612465275801605.jpg

15073690785825868373254881132178.jpg

1507369089354695670064119939304.jpg

nice job on the lens... i did a set of adjusters and went in through the back. what a pita. may need to do another one. requires lots of patience and theres a great youtube vid by an american chap.

taking th3 lens off wasn’t too bad but the other light must have been replaced at some point with a later one so wouldn’t unglue so went through the back for that one and your right takes a lot of patience, nearly through the bloody thing through the kitchen window but got there in the end, all put back together and hey presto working self levellers :) just need to go find somewhere tomorrow to get the lights aligned as I’m sure their pointing nowhere near were their supposed too 

I had the same issue with aalignment so used another vehicle as a proxy. All you need is a wall or similar and measuring tape. Use the reference car to establish the height of the beam at a given distance between the lens and surface. Crude but should help get them beam roughly right. To get even more precision get the same amount of fule and load in them!

1 hour ago, Tomrx7 said:

taking th3 lens off wasn’t too bad but the other light must have been replaced at some point with a later one so wouldn’t unglue so went through the back for that one and your right takes a lot of patience, nearly through the bloody thing through the kitchen window but got there in the end, all put back together and hey presto working self levellers :) just need to go find somewhere tomorrow to get the lights aligned as I’m sure their pointing nowhere near were their supposed too 

An MOT'er should sort it for you for beer tokens I'd say... Just try and avoid Kwik Feck or similar, unless you know them already :lol: