Retset

What BMW Connected services do you renew?

I have the 'full suite' till next summer, when the car hits 3. After 2000+ miles in it, I have already decided that i don't think much of it is worth renewing and am wondering what other people do. My thoughts are:

1) BMW Online. Really don't get the point of this, even though it sprinkles weather icons on my satnav map. £50 a year - no thanks

2) Real Time Traffic: I think it means "Not Real Time" traffic as it is a good 20 minutes behind. I've been comparing it to TomTom Go on the iPhone and, sorry, it's not worth whatever it costs per year. TomTom is spot on, probably has better reroutes and costs a quid a month.

3) Concierge: Been too embarrassed to use it. No thanks.

4) Connected Drive: I think this is genuinely useful, mostly the ability to remotely send a sat nav destination to the car. It's there for life, anyway.

5) Map update: £70 for 2 years is less than I thought it would be so I will buy this at some point. Not sure why it's not included for free till the car hits three years old ...

Have to agree with you generally.  No to 1, although I do find 2 not too bad in my neck of the woods.  3 I've used precisely 3 times.  Once it was excellent, finding me a multistorey car park in the middle of Bournemouth at 5 minutes' notice the other 2 times, it was no good - they can't call up any info at 6am and the final time, I waited forever to get to talk to someone.  4 I agree but I am currently finding this is really hit and miss.  I have the remote app on both an android and an iPhone - sometimes 1 works, sometimes the other, no rhyme or reason to it.  Handy but could live without. 5.  Agree.  Mind you £70 for 4 map updates isn't too bad.

General conclusion:  a triumph of marketing over reality.  Like dishwashers that claim to hold 12 full place settings and internet providers that claim up to 100 Mbps knowing you'll get 5 on a good day.

+1

1) BMW Online. No, I've had a play a couple of things but petty much a WoT

2) Real Time Traffic: No, I use TomTom Go too, much more accurate.

3) Concierge: No, used it about 4 times in over 2 years, I don't see the point when I know where I'm going before I set out.

4) Connected Drive: Yes, useful, I'd miss that.

5) Map update: No, I have a lifetime fsc and download maps for free, so no thanks.

You are lucky you can choose!

I have CIC with an inferior GPRS sim so BMW choose to punish me for buying one of their older cars by over charging me

I have no choice other than to pay max price for the slowest crappiest product I have ever experienced.

I only use it for RTTI the rest is just too painfully slow to bother with.

Edited by Alexak

2 hours ago, Alexak said:

I only use it for RTTI the rest is just too painfully slow to bother with.

I thought CIC Traffic was RDS TMC rather than the RTTI which was  introduced with NBT Sat Nav, not that RTTI is anything to write home about, in my experience it's usually hours out of date and little better than RDS, which makes it about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

Personally I renew zero of those options. Even for the Sat nav I use Waze as for inner city driving you cannot beat it, and for outside of the the city I use Google Maps. I don't see the point in paying for stuff I can get for free.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 06/10/2017 at 5:13 PM, Retset said:

I have the 'full suite' till next summer, when the car hits 3. After 2000+ miles in it, I have already decided that i don't think much of it is worth renewing and am wondering what other people do. My thoughts are:

1) BMW Online. Really don't get the point of this, even though it sprinkles weather icons on my satnav map. £50 a year - no thanks

2) Real Time Traffic: I think it means "Not Real Time" traffic as it is a good 20 minutes behind. I've been comparing it to TomTom Go on the iPhone and, sorry, it's not worth whatever it costs per year. TomTom is spot on, probably has better reroutes and costs a quid a month.

3) Concierge: Been too embarrassed to use it. No thanks.

4) Connected Drive: I think this is genuinely useful, mostly the ability to remotely send a sat nav destination to the car. It's there for life, anyway.

5) Map update: £70 for 2 years is less than I thought it would be so I will buy this at some point. Not sure why it's not included for free till the car hits three years old ...

1) Agree

2) Its hopeless. Number of times it's told me the road is blocked and it's completely clear is ridiculous.

3) Used it once. Didn't find them particularly helpful at all.

4) Very useful. Glad it's free.

5) Apparently even the "new" maps aren't particularly accurate. A couple of years down the line I might drop the £70  on it.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we all think the same: Maybe update the maps at some point (paid or free ...) and glad the Connected Drive bit was a one off payment so we can keep it.

At risk of becoming an outsider and banished from the forum... I like RTTI and I'm happy to pay for it. For my journeys it's fine and typically updates within a few minutes, which is good enough for me. I can imagine it being a nightmare in a city centre where traffic levels change far quicker, but on A-roads and motorways, I find it fine.

Otherwise, ConnectedDrive gets a thumbs-up from me, but that's it. I bought a lifetime Map Update subscription online for less than the BMW one-off price, so I'm sorted in that regard. The rest is junk so I ignore it.

1 hour ago, RobM said:

At risk of becoming an outsider and banished from the forum... I like RTTI and I'm happy to pay for it. For my journeys it's fine and typically updates within a few minutes, which is good enough for me. I can imagine it being a nightmare in a city centre where traffic levels change far quicker, but on A-roads and motorways, I find it fine.

Otherwise, ConnectedDrive gets a thumbs-up from me, but that's it. I bought a lifetime Map Update subscription online for less than the BMW one-off price, so I'm sorted in that regard. The rest is junk so I ignore it.

Same here.

OK it would be great if it covered B roads (like Tom Tom) - but I can cope knowing that.

If its of any interest it tends to be better in Europe (Maybe trying to tell us something?)