Thinking about my next car and weighing up the 550i and M6. Obvious choice here is the M6, but I do like the power of the 550i too, and it seems more practical.

But the M6 is just awesome. This purchase is a way off so time to think.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

550i vs M5 is more comparative... M6 Grand coupe if that's what you are looking at is really from the class above and a lot more expensive..

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

You either take as said above 550i v M5 or 650i Gran Coupe v M6 Gran Coupe (although the 650i is like hens teeth).

I would be careful choosing an x50i though with the N63, the N63tu definitely resolved many of those problems (oil and coolant problems in majority). Funnily enough the M version as the S63 never seems to suffer with those issues...(although I have heard of the odd oil issue with the engine still).

Edited by Ninja59

I can understand the trying to choose between a 5 and a 6 if practicality is not a priority, but why a 550i v M6, as opposed to M5 v M6? If you are in M6 territory, then the M5 is still going to be cheaper.

8 hours ago, mobilejo said:

If you are in M6 territory, then the M5 is still going to be cheaper.

A point made years ago by Mr Clarkson when reviewing the M6 on the Isle of Man.

But hey I wouldn't turn down any opportunity to own any M car.....M6 or M5!

As above, you should be comparing M5 with M6 (or M6 GC) or the 550i with a 650i if you can find one.

So your M or not M and then Saloon or Coupe (2 or 4 door).

If you can get an M then they are a significant step up in performance, but is that usable for you in how and where you drive?

The 5 Series is more practical without a doubt and will be a bit cheaper to buy, the 6 is better looking (IMO) and has a rarity value.  If you ever need to transport 5 people for any distance then get the 5.  If you ever need to transport more than 2 for any distance, don't get the 6 Coupe.  The 6 is a big car and it feels big to manoever, it is wide and long, so consider parking space size.  Surround view helps a lot but it will still take you time to judge the car in tight spaces, the combination of the A pillar and wing mirrors gives you a blind spot just where you expect to see approaching curbs etc.  So if you do a lot of town or have to park in 'normal' sized spaces, driving the 5 may be a better bet. 

On 18/10/2017 at 7:43 AM, 535i Andrew said:

A point made years ago by Mr Clarkson when reviewing the M6 on the Isle of Man.

But hey I wouldn't turn down any opportunity to own any M car.....M6 or M5!

Agreed, wouldn't kick either out of bed the garage :D