Sign in to follow this  
Mijmap

Impressive hire car, quieter tyres!

Picked a hire car for work purposes today and was pleasantly surprised to find this 520d, m sport, paddle shift gears, auto, full leather and only 100 miles on the clock. Noticed the road noise was considerably quieter than my continental run flats, it is sitting on Bridgestone's and difference was night and day. 

20171005_174544.jpg

New tyres are quite often quieter. I noticed a drop in noise when changing from very worn Michelins to new ones. You don't notice it getting noiser if it's your daily driver as your tyres wear. 

What mileage is on your tyres?

Edited by 535i Andrew

The tyre comparison websites give a dB rating for each tyre.  For an increase in 3 dB, that's near enough twice the sound power or 1.4 times the amplitude.

Looking at my rear tyre size a Bridgestone is quieter than a Conti.

Mine has GY Excellence RFTs on 19". They are about the same noise as my Goodyear F1 Non-RFTs on the E91, i.e. they are a reasonably quiet tyre. Having driven them in everything from dry to driving rain, I am impressed with them and they will be bought as the replacement.

As Andrew says, you can now check the dB of each tyre on sites like Black Circles. Some of the Dunlops are very quiet. My father changed to Dunlop (from Pirelli) on his Jag XF and the difference is huge.

cheers when it's time to change the Continentals apart from probably coming away from RFT I will definitely look at the Bridgestone and Dunlop's.

I have also been thinking about changing my alloys to the updated versions ( can't decide , opinion changes on an hourly basis at the moment) I have the 2013 six spoke wheels (350)  however the latest 5 spokes (613) on the hire car are growing on me.

Edited by Mijmap

I choose my tyres based on firstly wet grip then secondly on sound.  The Dunlops I had on my E60 were the best in both so I just kept the OEM set up on it for nearly 9 years.  It was whisper quiet especially after I changed the grumbly wheel bearing!

I want those 613 for my winter set up instead of my poverty spec 327 17" rims but the 17" will be more pothole friendly.....

2 hours ago, Mijmap said:

There is a set on Gumtree at the moment in the south side of Glasgow, would need refurbishing.

Thanks, pity Im not in a position to change at the moment. This time next year as the 17" tyres still have enough tread for one more winter. When the time comes to need tyres it might be worth it.