Sign in to follow this  
Retset

Apple and Android integration with Pro Nav

I have an old iPhone 5S which I bluetooth to my May 2015 F11 with Pro Nav.

I am very pleased with how it integrates for music search/album art/phone and especially Siri from the steering wheel. I usually play music from the car's hard drive and podcasts from the phone. My only annoyance is that, if I forget to set the phone on podcasts before I start the journey, I am a bit stuffed: If I use Siri to play a podcast, when the phone was last playing music, it doesn't switch, presumably because the BMW is somehow 'holding on to' the music app. iOS 10 won't let me use half the voice commands because I am driving (can I disable this?) so it's either no podcast or an illegal, and potentially very costly, touch of the iphone screen.

I'm approaching the time when a new phone is a good idea. I fancy an iPhone 8 64GB as a straight upgrade for what I have. Not especially exciting and very pricey (£699).

Can any Android users tell me how well Android phones integrate with my version of BMW media system? Most interested in music search and voice activation of phone.

Also appreciate any tips on more seamless use of the iPhone. My car is not new enough for a CarPlay upgrade but, as TomTom traffic is the main reason for connecting the phone, that doesn't matter.

TL;DR: How well do Android phones integrate with Pro Nav?

I've bene through this journey a few times (I have a phone 'problem') and my experience of Android is irritatingly inconsistent. Across multiple Samsung and Google Pixel phones, the only thing that worked consistently well was Spotify. The built-in Music option through the Pro Nav was consistently useless unless you store all your music on the phone itself (e.g. copy the media directly onto the storage).

Everything else, e.g. Podcast apps, needs to be controlled through the phone initially. Once playing you have basic Play/Pause/Skip/Volume controls, but that's about it. You can't, for instance, find a different Podcast to listen to.

The best experience overall is with an iPhone plugged in via USB, as I can pick Music and Podcasts directly through the iDrive.

3 hours ago, RobM said:

The best experience overall is with an iPhone plugged in via USB, as I can pick Music and Podcasts directly through the iDrive.

Ah, I didn't know this. It's always charging anyway (via fag lighter in cupholder recess) but I guess it makes more sense to run a wire from the armrest USB. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Does the phonecall bit still go via bluetooth or is that USB also? I see I can configure phone for audio/phone or both.

Think I'll stay with iphone as all the good Android phones that support wifi calling and have good cameras cost similar amounts and I'm all set up on Apple.

The phone call is still over Bluetooth, as is the 'Office' functionality if your car supports it, such as message notifications on-screen.

I've run a cable from the armrest USB so it charges and gives me the media options I want. Now, when in the Media option in the Pro Nav, you can use the Search option to find an artist, album, genre etc and you can go to 'Other Media' (I think that's what it's labelled as) for Podcasts and Audiobooks and it'll switch straight to it.

Oh, really? Well, that's exactly what I want Rob. Thanks. Sorting the podcast switching thing and a neater cable run will be big pluses. I guess I re-configure the bluetooth to just phone?

Off out to the car now!

Edit: That works perfectly. Disabled the BT audio part of the phone. Cheers!

Edited by Retset