1320Arbroath

Advice on winter wheels

Hi,

new to the forum and looking for advice. 

Just purchased 2012 550i Msport f10 and it has 19” M sport alloys(see pic). What size of winter wheels and tyres should I be looking for. Can’t even check the size of my own wheels as I had to come away to work for a couple of weeks but looking online for a second hand set - 17 or 18”

thanks

6E2832D0-4445-4796-86FD-C3C7FF30A249.png

All the smaller engined cars can get away with 17"s - not sure about the 550i as is such a rare beast. Lovely car btw!

Now there's a car i would love to test drive.

Here's my recent thread..... I might not go though with it as I currently trying to sell the 535d but if I do I may now try to get the Hankook EVO tyres.... Great review on the latest versions. Or the Continentals.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Ebmw5%2Eco%2Euk%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F129358-Help-required-winter-alloys-and-tyres&share_tid=129358&share_fid=2409&share_type=t

Ooooohh you are near me, I will need to look out for you. Nice nice nice car. So refreshing to see in today's Diesel obsessed world.

I bought mine AUC with a set of winters. It came with style 327 17" rims which will fit on yours too. Yes they don't look the best but it saves my powder coated 19" rims from the potholes. I've never driven mine in anything other than slight slush.

It would look better with 18" rims but the advantage of 17" tyres is that they are more forgiving on Inverclydes roads! Winter tyre choice improves and costs are less for smaller sized wheels.

As @535i Andrew I run 17's on my 640d absolutely brilliant, they do look small on the car coming from 19's or 20's though. But as Andrew highlighted the way you can barrel onwards without fear of potholes is brilliant. When is everyone else getting them on? Mine is in on the 28th for a interim oil service at my own cost (yes I do not believe in BMW's extended intervals), Winter tyre change and to sort my window again.

Regarding the actual tyres then I have bridgestone lm-32's (no longer in production), but they are awesome and have never found any undue issues. Just watch though as the section is much smaller for the rears (or at least stepping down form 275's for me) I found you need to judge deploying the throttle a little more carefully. Make sure they have the snowflake mountain symbol to be "proper" winter tyres, not just M + S. Having driven mine it was fine on snow, just be careful on anything frozen though as you are the same as every other sod (this side of studded tyres at least). But on the fresh stuff just plough on as the grip levels really are impressive.

Which N63 engine designation does it have? Hopefully you say N63tu (as I know far to my yanks with the earlier engine issues mentioning oil and coolant issues like confetti which the tu seemed to sort).

Have a look here for tyre sizes

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=85_0059

You need to keep the rolling radii of the tyres within spec

225/55/17

245/45/18

are the sizes that will work.

Thanks for the info lads. Mucho appreciated.. I’ll be definitely getting a set when I return from work as the alloys were just refurbished by BMW before I took the car as they were scuffed a bit. Will find out the engine designation when I get back as reading american forums some horror stories and major recalls were done I believe. I asked in the dealership about this but got the usual ‘it will definitely have been done’ if it was required line

4 hours ago, 1320Arbroath said:

Thanks for the info lads. Mucho appreciated.. I’ll be definitely getting a set when I return from work as the alloys were just refurbished by BMW before I took the car as they were scuffed a bit. 

Did they do them properly?  The guy that did my 351s for the selling dealer I bought mine from made a real mess of the painting and lacquering.  He/she didn't clean the brake dust from the barrel and simply sprayed the lacquer over it so the dirt was under the lacquer!

4 hours ago, 1320Arbroath said:

I asked in the dealership about this but got the usual ‘it will definitely have been done’ if it was required line

Just like when I asked about the air con condenser.  It needed done shorty after........

Guys, would these fit? 255/40/19 m wheels ( see pics) think they are off an m5? With almostnew winter tyres.

AC844A0A-2ED9-41B5-B312-E487F90E9128.png

Edited by 1320Arbroath
Removing photo

Guys, would these fit? 255/40/19 m wheels ( see pics) think they are off an m5? With almostnew winter tyres.

AC844A0A-2ED9-41B5-B312-E487F90E9128.thumb.png.026e1d2061042d4af7003d19d7bc8da1.png

Look here...

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php?/topic/129358-Help-required-winter-alloys-and-tyres

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Ended up getting a set of these...pick them up next week. on 

Dunlop Winter Sport 3D Tyres

- 245/45/18. Anybody got these tyres on? Any good ?

D3D2BA92-6EAC-47D7-B2F0-C726096D2EBB.png

C40F940D-FB31-4E27-8DAB-613483A61D8F.png

Edited by 1320Arbroath

First year of ownership, March and April, then October to April. This year I will keep the summers on till probably Nov, mostly due the fact that I've got decent tread on my summers, this year compared to last. 

7 hours ago, 1320Arbroath said:

Ended up getting a set of these...pick them up next week. on 

Dunlop Winter Sport 3D Tyres

- 245/45/18. Anybody got these tyres on? Any good ?

D3D2BA92-6EAC-47D7-B2F0-C726096D2EBB.png

C40F940D-FB31-4E27-8DAB-613483A61D8F.png

Running these tyres on 17" wheels on my 535d as winters.  Wet grip good.  Snow grip excllent.  Not that precise on the handling compared to the 18" summers.

Yes that's a given, with the new 19" summer rubber I fitted when my 17" winters came off, the handling is a bit wallowy on the winters compared to the 19". But far more forgiving on the potholes!