rc944

That rust thing...

So what do you guys do... usual areas of bubbling inc rear section sill, tailgate, arches

I dont want to get serious paint done but rather prefer to deal locally with the issue to prevent it spreading... is there such a thing?

would be keen to hear from anyone that has successfully halted the spread of the stuff before it claims those timeless lines!

Check out my topic where I dealt with some minor bubbling on the sill.

Turned out to be worse than it looked. The only way to deal with it is by cutting it out and replacing with good metal. Anything else isn't going to last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use grinding stones to remove rust ... (Rot does need cutting out ) or wire drill tools which do work very well.... 

We normally use zinc primer followed by red oxide (and followed Hammerite on the underneath)

Just had the front door bottoms,cills and a bumper respray last week.

Cills just starting to bubble and door bottoms on the cusp.

Felt prevention was better than cure. Bit by number plate light I will dremmel and smoothrite as you can't see it unless on your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no easy/quick fix. 

It's either a bodyshop job, a decent DIY job or leave it alone, IMO 

My cars in the bodyshop having quite a bit done. The sills, rear arches and other bits were done, but some rust came back. So my pals been more aggressive with it this time around! 

If rots set in, it has to be treated and done properly 

i could get the prep done but then id still need bodyshop to put the paint on so as it wont likely be a touch up pen job

I think the problem is that a bit of superficial rust turns into something much more serious once everything is stripped back.

I'd remove all the plastic covers and have a really good look around to check for rot before deciding what to do.

There was a thread on here where someone's entire sill and jacking point were rotten despite the visible bodywork looking OK